pixeltracker

Godspell - First Preview Tonight- Page 4

Godspell - First Preview Tonight

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#75Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 11:08am

I felt bad for the Godspell kids being made to work Thanksgiving (seriously, who does that?), but the way things are going it looks like they could actually get to spend that day with family Godspell - First Preview Tonight

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#76Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 11:09am

I have no problem with topical references in shows. It's not exactly a new thing. Cole Porter was doing it.

But it sounds like, from Whizzer's examples, that these aren't so much topical as they are... "topical".

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#77Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 11:53am

Wait... so there is a drip from the ceiling for no reason? And a JACUZZI?!?!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#78Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:07pm

There is water coming down from the ceiling, but it's for a reason. During the baptism at the beginning the water pours from a spout in the ceiling into a pool below. The cast is baptized by walking under the spout and/or jumping into the pool of water. (Some of them get completely wet. They run off stage to change into dry clothes immediately after.)

I guess you could call the pool a jacuzzi at the last supper, but from my vantage point I thought it was just a dry ice machine where the pool was. It's not like they were sitting around in a jacuzzi. They simply shared communion around the pool area.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

kyle4
#79Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:10pm

" They simply shared communion around the pool area. "

LOVE. THIS. LINE.

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#80Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:14pm

I was expecting something really low-brow and pandering, having seen this director's work before, but this sounds so excessively and unbearably dumb, I can easily imagine the cattle eating it up with relish.

Do you mean that they'll eat it up with a green condiment on top, or that they'll eat it up with great pleasure?

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#81Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:16pm

Whizzer, in the show were there any references to Susan Boyle? Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark? Four Loko? Antoine Dodson?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#82Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:19pm

Do you mean that they'll eat it up with a green condiment on top, or that they'll eat it up with great pleasure?

Sorry, I meant to capitalize that - I was referring to Relish de la Vlasik, the famous stripper, whose gimmick was to let the audience take a bite out any part of her anatomy they chose. Of course, her act couldn't go on forever.

WhizzerMarvin
#83Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:28pm

egghumor- oddly there weren't any Spider-Man references. There was a Lion King reference though, so does that kind of count?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#84Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:38pm

Thanks! Perhaps this weekend they'll insert a reference to the Occupy Wall Street movement.

WhizzerMarvin
#85Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:40pm

There was a reference to the Occupy Wall Street I think I mentioned. During "Turn Back, O Man" she said something like, "you can occupy my circle in the square anytime" or something like that. That was right before she said for the first time I feel wicked.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#86Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:41pm

Loving all of the mixed reviews! I hope it gets better by November! Would this be better to see or The Mountaintop?

Luv2goToShows
#87Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:54pm

Any one know how crowded the lotto was last night? Do they ask for volunteers to participate or do they just pull people up?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#88Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:56pm

Do they change the cushions regularly or do they leave the smell of people's bums?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

WhizzerMarvin
#89Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:02pm

They did not ask for volunteers. The three people they used were just pulled up. I'm sure if you really didn't want to get on stage they wouldn't force you to do so.

Luv2goToShows
#90Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:07pm

Thanks WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel, for the response and for the detailed review.

labwyfan Profile Photo
labwyfan
#91Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:15pm

Mildred - yes, publish. There are over 9000 views on this thread!! Just beacause it's an anonymous review doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#92Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:30pm

Freedom of speech honey! Can't have it both ways!

People sure don't mind when first preview reports are masturbatory emissions on the show they're determined to love even if it blows Shamu out of the water.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#93Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:39pm

Oy to the Vey!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#94Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:46pm

This kind of reminds me of last year's first preview thread for WOMEN ON THE VERGE. It feels oddly similar.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#95Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:53pm

Women on the Verge of Being Born-Again?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#96Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:54pm

Aren't almost all preview threads like this?:

1) "Saw [show]'s preview last night. God it needs a lot of work."

2) "How DARE you criticize [show]?!? Don't you realize that previews are when they work their problems out? You are an awful person!"

3) (who is an intern in the producer's or marketer's office) "I saw [show], too!! I thought it was great!! [Actor] was sooo cute and sang his heart out!! It's gonna be a huuuuge hit!"

Replay all three comments, with light variations, over and over and over.
Updated On: 10/14/11 at 01:54 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#97Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:58pm

The presence of Kyle4 is in this thread. There are almost one hundred replies already, not all first previews are this popular. The reception is entirely negative. Both shows began previews in October. I don't know, it just feels similar to me, lol.

FindingNamo
#98Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:01pm

Is there any chance this production might go to Broadway?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#99Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:16pm

This thread is definitely similar to the WOTV preview thread.

I have to say that I went from having no interest in seeing this to definitely seeing this on the strength of Whizzer's bad review.

....but the world goes 'round

Videos