pixeltracker

When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?

When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?

beautywickedlover
#1When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/18/11 at 12:19am

When is it going to be released in America? I know it was released in the U.K. this month, but i am not sure when it will be released in the U.S.A. My grandparents are fans of the musical and I want then to see this.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/18/11 at 12:31am

February 7th.

It's on the Phantom25th website.

beautywickedlover
#2When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/18/11 at 12:47am

^ Thanks. I'll be sure to pre-order it.

xoffender45
#4When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/18/11 at 12:55am

Does anyone know if the blu-ray is region locked? I'd love to order it off Amazon.co.uk if I can play it here in the US

Wildcard
#6When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/18/11 at 2:37pm

The Blu-Ray isn't region-locked

Chrranke Profile Photo
Chrranke
#9When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 11:59am

I'm amazed your post hasn't been deleted by the administrator but in any case, good luck! :)

It's already out in the UK and I have the Blu-ray. Its amazing and it's not the same version they showed in the cinema. MUCH better editing and almost no video noise from the LED screens. It is FAR superior to the 2004 movie.

justafan2
#10When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 12:00pm

I just ordered it in Blu-Ray from Amazon.

smallvillefan16
#12When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 1:20pm

I ordered the blu-ray from the UK. Cost me 13.00 dollars, and ended up being sent to the states in one week with free shipping. Blu-ray works on the US players :)

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#13When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 1:31pm

I imported the blu-ray from the UK, and it plays perfectly fine on my American player with no problems at all. The dvd in the "double play" combo pack however IS region coded, so if you really want the combo, I'd say hold off till the US release a couple months from now...unless you have a region free dvd player.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that this is a new video/audio edit than what was broadcast in cinemas, with much of my initial criticisms fixed, or at least less offensive than before. 90% of the annoying audience shots from the cinema version are gone, and have been replaced with new angles that keep you fixated on the actors on stage. Plus the sound is just amazing now that it's been spruced up in post. The picture and audio, very flat in cinemas, now is vibrant and crystal clear.

The only special feature is a 17+ minute behind the scenes, featuring rehearsal footage and interviews for the 25th Anniversary event.

Also, there is a trailer for the "Love Never Dies" dvd/blu-ray, (March 2012) for whatever that's worth. The preview "looks" amazing... if only it wasn't the book/score for LND.

...still waiting for an clarity from someone at RUG as to why Crawford showed up but was the only Phantom who didn't sing at the end. It almost ruins the finale with a big awkward question mark. Was he sick? Surely it wasn't because he rushed from "Oz"...for THIS event, they could have given him a couple days off to rehearse. Very weird.

Chrranke Profile Photo
Chrranke
#14When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 4:06pm

I heard from my inside sources that he didn't want to sing for two reasons. Reason one is that he was tired after the weekend performances of "Wizard of Oz". He had done both the matinee and evening performance. Reason two was that he didn't know if he would be able to sing cause he gets very emotional when it comes to the show that changed his career and life. And as you can see he is already crying 5 seconds in.

Also the fact that Sarah Brightman "sang" was not part of the plan either. They had originally four Christines lined up as well who would sing different part of the song.
But Lloyd Webber managed to persuade her to sing. Wished he hadn't When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#15When will 'Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary' be released on DVD in America?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 7:46pm

Hah, well to each his own. I was thrilled she sang, even if her voice isn't what it used to be. There was something very special about her being there and performing for the 25th. The only thing that would have made it more magical would have been for Crawford to join her. At this point in their careers, it's a novelty, no denying, so one should be a little easy going and respectful when it comes to the original cast still making an effort 25 years later for a special event...all in my humble opinion of course. :)

Videos