Visually stunning plays?

geissap
#1Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 10:57am

My wife and I will be going to NYC Feb 9th - 12th. Last time we were there it was our first time and we saw Memphis, Traces and Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins we didn't even want to see but it was all that TKTS had left and it ended up being our favorite...simply because we were so blown away by the sets, costumes, colors, etc. If that type of thing is what your into what plays would you all recommend?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:06am

"Spiderman: Turn off the Dark". Not the best book or music but the show is visually stunning, in my opinion.

Just give the world Love.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#2Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:14am

Sleep No More if it's still playing.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#3Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:14am

War Horse

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:39am

The most visually stunning play (not musical) I've ever seen is War Horse.

geissap
#5Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:43am

Ugg I'm pretty sad it happens to be War Horse. That play is never at TKTS, and there's no general rush. I'll see what I can find in terms of discounts though I suppose. How's the theater seating...are there any bad seats?

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#6Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:46am

I hear great things about Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

Also try Anything Goes... They have wonderful choreography, songs and... colors.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#7Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 4:14pm

I second Anything Goes.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#8Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 4:26pm

It is true about Anything Goes, The Set maybe simple for the most part, but damn that lighting was stunning.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 4:50pm

The are virtually no bad seats in the theatre for War Horse. I'd splurge on full-price good seats if you can. I rarely do that, but for War Horse, it was worth every penny.

Spider-Man is visually stunning as well, but you would be facing full price for that, too. Between the two, I'd go with War Horse.

Not sure what you've already seen, but if you haven't already seen them, Lion King and Wicked sound like they would be favorable for you as well. The opening of Lion King is worth the price of the ticket alone. Definitely an unforgettable and iconic number.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

beach2732 Profile Photo
beach2732
#10Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/18/12 at 6:12pm

I'd agree with Spider-man and War Horse. Two very different shows, but both are visually stunning!

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#11Visually stunning plays?
Posted: 1/19/12 at 12:20am

For a completely different way of being of visually stunned, you should check out SLEEP NO MORE. Not quite a play, not quite a dance performance, but all about the combining of visuals and music and dance and emotion in one utterly unique theater piece. The visual world you experience there will make you redefine what set design means for all time.

Videos