felix5
#50Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 2/19/12 at 12:00am

NO!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#51Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 2/19/12 at 6:42am

I don't think Newsies is nearly well known as you suggest. I don't think the title recognition is that big. I teach HS, and only a small percentage of them had any clue what Newsies was (and they are theatre kids) Of those that knew, only two were excited about it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#52Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 2/19/12 at 12:02pm

the buzz is really strong, at least from where i stand - already got my tickets and much say this is one of the most highly anticipated shows on tap for the Spring.

and Jeremy Jordan did get over the title billing in that Queen Latifah/Dolly Parton film 'Joyous Noise'

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#53Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 2/19/12 at 1:19pm

Unfortunately Vernon, that film tanked and has become a joke in the biz, though many found it fun. Jordan won't be getting over the title billing here (No one does in a DISNEY show).
Let's hope it's not strike 3 (after B&C) for him.

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#54Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/9/12 at 7:07pm

Forgive me for what might be considered a "dumb question," but why is NEWSIES a limited run?

CurtainPullDowner
#55Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/9/12 at 7:59pm

It's a limited run because it's not a popular DISNEY title, it has NO big name actors and Disney is being careful (for once) and seeing if it clicks.
And as musicals die on after another this season, its chances of catching on get greater.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#56Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 12:16pm

I did not enjoy the film but I did not enjoy the film Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

I love the musical on Broadway Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

When they take a mediocre movie and make it a musical.. it usually succeeds.
When they take a great film like Exodus or Sister Act it usually is drivel.

Based on my theory, Newsies could be a hit.
Mediocre movies make good musicals.
Classic great movies do not: Legally Blonde, Exodus, Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins.

There are exceptions. I love Beauty and the Beast in both incarnations.

CurtainPullDowner
#57Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 1:01pm

Did you just compare the movie of SISTER ACT to EXODUS?

How about these great movies that made great musicals:

THE APARTMENT
SMILE OF A SUMMER NIGHT
NIGHTS OF CABRIA (sp)
8 1/2
ect. ect. ect.

Your theory has a lot of holes.
What I saw at Papermill was not a GREAT musical, it was a good musical with exciting dancing and gymnastics.
And many cute guys.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#58Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 2:12pm

I just wanted to add something to what CPD said about this show being a limited run. IT has nothing to do with there not being a name in the case. There never has been a Disney show that has a name as an incentive to buy tickets. In all of Disney's Broadway shows they use the popular movie that is based on as the reason to buy tickets.

In any event Broadway was never originally in the cards for this show. Just like the stage musical of Aladdin that opened up awhile back in Seattle, Newsies was done as a precursor to amateur productions with no intentions of Broadway. However, Disney realized that they would get more money on licensing the show if it has played on Broadway. So, since they got good reviews across the bridge in New Jersey, they decided to test things out on Broadway. If all goes well, they will extend. If not, then they will still make money on amateur licensing of the show.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#59Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 2:15pm

I think Disney is concerned, hints the reason of a 12 week run.

CurtainPullDowner
#60Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 4:20pm

Winston, you are correct, no DISNEY show has ever had a Name, but they mostly had much better known origins and titles than NEWSIES. Not having a name on today's Broadway is now a given risk, even if you are DISNEY.

Opening on Broadway will make this title more popular and therefore more profitable, but I don't think they will ask for more on the rental rights. Someone who knows more about this could correct me, I'm not that up on licensing rights.

henryt
#61Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 7:55pm

CPD, it's not about asking for more money to license the show. Rather, it's about generating more licenses because a group is more likely to license a show that has been on Broadway than one that has not.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#62Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 8:48pm

The original plan was never to bring NEWSIES to NY, they were going to do a tour or something. So I think if reviews are good they will extend, and if not then it'll close and still be a hit with stock and amateur

CurtainPullDowner
#63Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 9:28pm

Thanks henryt, that's exactly what I was thinking.

And whatever happened to Aladin antway?
Any regional or tours planned?

Jonwo
#64Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 10:27pm

I reckon they'll launch a tour and possibly international productions before licensing it, the production looks like it would be able to tour with only minor modifications.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#65Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/12/12 at 12:08am

I said there were exceptions to my theory.

NIghts of Cabiria was totally reinvented by Bob Fosse-not the same thing at all.
Nine was reinvented by Tommy Tune --not the same thing at all.
The Apartment became Promises Promises and I agree was great fun and I love it.
That is an exception to my rule.

The Color Purple was another iconic movie that did not musicalize so well. It was okay but definitely no improvement on the classic movie.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#66Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/12/12 at 12:25am

"Winston, you are correct, no DISNEY show has ever had a Name, but they mostly had much better known origins and titles than NEWSIES."

The times I saw BEAUTY and the BEAST on Broadway, the Beast and Belle both get above title billing, whether it was Deborah Gibson and Chuck Wagner, or Ashley Brown and Steve Blanchard. Despite not "names," I'd still imagine "Broadway names" such as Sherie Rene Scott and Terrence Mann weren't nobodies.

Though I agree - Disney sells based on the Disney brand name.

CurtainPullDowner
#67Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/12/12 at 12:48am

philly, I think we were talking about opening a DISNEY show without a "star".
Some replacements did get billed as Andrea McArdle in B&B, but no one has gotten above the title billing when a show opened.

goldenboy, you prove your own point, there is no pattern to transferring a movie into a musical.
As you say, re-invention, which is what every show is, how the creators do it is the trick.

Jonwo
#68Will Newsies be a hit?
Posted: 3/12/12 at 1:02am

With most Disney shows, the show is the star and not the perfomers. BATB started stunt casting a few years into its run but that's because it is the sort of show that could be stunt casted in the role of Belle and Gaston.