pixeltracker

Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR

Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#2Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 9:49am

So I guess we're kind of leaning in to the whole "Broadway is a theme park" thing, now, aren't we?

#2Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 9:57am

well, at least its not being turned into the Ecko store or torn down and we'll be able to see its interior once again! ... I wish it was turned into a Broadway Museum though

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#3Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 9:58am

Happy to hear the theatre is being renovated, but hope they are doing so with an eye on the possibility the space could potentially be used to house live theatre again. This 4D thing sounds like it could have a limited shelf life.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 10:54am

Yep, this seals the deal that Broadway is now officially a theme park.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:00am

...isn't the best way to celebrate the Broadway musical to actually do a Broadway musical? Or am I just wildly old fashioned?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

WOSQ
#6Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:03am

Okay, I read the article.

What in the holy ____ is 4D? My vision is such that I can't see 3-D.

How many pairs of glasses will we have to wear to see the show?

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

AEA AGMA SM
#7Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:04am

If I remember correctly, wasn't part of the problem with actually turning this space into a legit theatre again the fact that it's only loading access was on 42nd Street, or was that one of the other theatres that I'm thinking about?

Michael Bennett
#8Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:09am

Somebody once mentioned that, but I doubt the fact that it only had 42nd Street loading access would be a deal breaker in converting it back to a legit theatre. I would think the city would allow some contingency given the space's historical landmark status.

I think we have to celebrate the fact that the space is being restored and is staying for all intensive purposes a theatre. Frankly I'm still happy that even though its being used as a BBQ restaurant the internal structure of the old Liberty Theatre has been completely preserved and could potentially house a live production again. Way better alternatives than becoming another Duane Reade...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:13am

4D is featured at Universal Studios Theme Park (Shrek 4D) and other theme parks around the country.

It's a combination of 3D film footage (glasses provided at the door) projected on a giant screen with live actors who interact with the footage in costume and makeup. Lights, special effects, and prerecorded music with some leads singing live.

Eight shows a day.

I can see it all now. They'll play an old kinescope of Yul Brynner and Gertie Lawrence "enhanced in 3D" as two lookalike actors "burst" through the screen in matching costumes and whirl around the stage to the accompaniment of candy wrappers, children crying, and tourists translating.

Updated On: 3/21/12 at 11:13 AM

Michael Bennett
#10Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:16am

Which is exactly why I hypothecized, Best12 that I think this 4D extravaganza is going to have a limited shelf life.I can't imagine this being all that appealing to tourists who don't care much about Broadway history.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:19am

I'm sure it won't just be a history lesson. It'll go all the way back to the really olden days of Broadway ... 1997.

Broadway ... the ride!

Updated On: 3/21/12 at 11:19 AM

Michael Bennett
#12Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:23am

It sounds like one of those things they have at the Magic Kingdom that gets ripped out after four years because nobody wants to sit through it longer than a couple of minutes just to rest their feet, but who knows - maybe it will be well done - and I know I for one would probably be one of the two dozen who might actually love to see a 3D Alfred Drake singing OKLAHOMA!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:27am

I'm sure they'll tailor it just right ... spending all of three minutes on the first century of Broadway and the last 45 minutes on the past ten years.

I would guess they would run out of steam on a show like this in about five years ... or twenty. And they'll probably have to update in every now and then, which wouldn't be cheap.

If they're smart, they'll have a little "theatre museum" in the lobby with a Madame Tussauds cross-promotion, and try to play to both old-fashioned locals and tourists who can't remember what they had for breakfast. Or what city they're in right now.

spike3
#14Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:49am

If I am correct in my recollection, there is no actual lobby for the theatre. The front doors open right into the seating area, a bit odd I know, but I have seen the inside of the theatre.

As for using the current stage again. Part of the problem is that many years ago, a deli, or some kind of shop with entrance located on 43rd St is actually built on the stage. So right behind the movie screen(when the theatre was converted to film use) was a structure that I believe may still be in use. I suppose that will all change for this new plan though.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:58am

No lobby? Dang! There goes my Madame Tussauds tie-in.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#16Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 12:14pm

[It sounds like one of those things they have at the Magic Kingdom that gets ripped out after four years because nobody wants to sit through it longer than a couple of minutes just to rest their feet, but who knows - maybe it will be well done - and I know I for one would probably be one of the two dozen who might actually love to see a 3D Alfred Drake singing OKLAHOMA![/quote]

Universal Studios has had their Terminator 2 4D show open for the past 16 years.

Michael Bennett
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#18Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 12:56pm

SOUTH PACIFIC 2: THE RISE OF THE MACHINES

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 1:00pm

But why would anyone want to sit through a fake Broadway show and there's dozens of real Broadway shows literally around the corner?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#20Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 1:01pm

Often times, it's hard to tell the difference.

p.s.
emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#22Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 1:10pm

Funny you should mention that, because the same team (Gary Goddard Entertainment) who is designing this, ALSO designed Terminator 2, 3D at Universal. They make some top notch attractions.

I have SEVERAL friends involved with this project and it was made clear to me that the zoning for this theatre prohibited it to be used a as a live theatre. They main bid for this space was for it be a Lego store (Lego almost got it). The other top contender was TGI Fridays.

With this we are putting a great focus on Broadway, and restoring a historical theatre. People will be able to catch this in between shows!

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999
Updated On: 3/21/12 at 01:10 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#23Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 1:43pm

In addition to the Terminator show in Universal, the Muppet show in Disney/MGM is also 4D, as is the Bug's Life attraction in Animal Kingdom. All are well done, and we make our way to all on trips to Orlando. While I don't see Broadway history lending itself to 4D, if this is done well I could see it becoming a regular stop for tourists.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#24Photo Flash: Times Square Theater to Be Renovated; Re-Open in 2013 with Star-Filled BROADWAY SENSATION - A 4D MUSICAL SPECTACULAR
Posted: 3/21/12 at 1:47pm

The Terminator show is pretty fantastic!

Maybe they can blow Peter Pan right out of the sky and have motorcycles race on stage during Oklahoma's Dream Ballet!

Broadway: The Action Movie