pixeltracker

Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#1Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/26/12 at 4:11am

I love this show, those lucky enough to see the OBC saw something really special..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woX1ZMYXkIY&feature=related

The Above is the press reel for the show

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#2Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/26/12 at 4:50am

Thanks! I *love* the Tony clip, and I've seen some live recordings which are fairly unwatchable, so it's nice to have some more pro-shot material.

I saw the show when I was 12 or 13 and it toured to Vancouver. I had already started to get into Sondheim, but otherwise, aside from the megamusicals, and the classic classics like Rodgers and Hammerstein, I was still learning a lot about musicals. My much missed grandma, who had always had a huge love for musicals (when she was in the airforce on leave in New York she got to see the original productions of Oklahoma! and On The Town and would regularly go afterwards), was visiting us and I don't think even knew much about the show, but worshipped Chita Rivera, who again I barely knew except from the West Side Story recording. She took me as a treat, and I remember being slightly shocked and embarassed when I realized what the show was about, but we both loved it, and I'm pretty grateful to have been able to see Chita on stage, and in that role (I believe Jeff Hyslop was Molina).

I know the musical has its critics, and I get some of the criticisms, but it made such ahuge impression on me, as well as being just such an absolutely thrilling production, and I think Kander and Ebb's best post Chicago score. It was Hal Prince's last big original musical hit (Show Boat came soon after), and I still think he should have won the Tony for direction, though everyone was pretty excited by Des McAnuff's Tommy direction I guess.

Rypm25 Profile Photo
Rypm25
#2Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/26/12 at 7:12am

I saw the Kiss of the Spiderwoman when I was about 17, or 18. I loved it instantly! I still remember it fondly! When I saw it Chita was still in the show, but the men were gone already. Instead, it was Brian Stokes Mitchell and Jeff Hyslop from the kids show "Today's Special!"

EricMontreal22
#3Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/26/12 at 6:02pm

Today's Special was everywhere here--since it's Canadian (Jeff Hyslop actually now lives not too far from me). I remember as a 10 year old being apalled by the idea that he was playing the Phantom in the Canadian tour--but he actually wasn't bad, and he was very good as Molina from what I remember.

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#4Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/26/12 at 7:16pm

What a wonderful show! Loved both Chita and Vanessa Williams in the role.

Clint. Atlanta,GA

EricMontreal22
#5Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/26/12 at 7:28pm

One thing I've always been curious about is Vincent Patterson's role as co-choreographer. Susan Stroman choreographed the vastly different, more campy, disastrous original workshops. Then Rob Marshall was given sole credit as choreographer for the Toronto and London runs of Kiss, but the Broadway and subsequent tour list Patterson as co-choreographer. The only credit I know for Patterson is choreographing large chunks of Madonna's Blond Ambition and Girlie Show tours.

rosscoe(au)
#6Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/26/12 at 11:11pm

Had no idea that stroman was part of that earlier production. I had a recording ( audio) of that at some point.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

rosscoe(au)
#7Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/26/12 at 11:11pm

Had no idea that stroman was part of that earlier production. I had a recording ( audio) of that at some point.

EricMontreal22
#8Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/27/12 at 12:23am

Wow I would love to hear it. I just know it's always used as an example of the potential that critics have to kill a show in out of town tryouts--in this case it does seem crass since the program it was a part of was set up exclusively to create new musicals, and it was pretty much killed by Kiss' critics. Not that Drabinsky deserves any sympathy, but thank God he took the project on as his first original musical for Livent.

rosscoe(au)
#9Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/27/12 at 1:36am

Eric letme see if Icanfind it for you.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/27/12 at 2:21am

I love Today's Special! I have hours of it recorded and even have the theme song in my iPod.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#11Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/27/12 at 3:30am

I've only seen this show with a tiny 3-4piece band and little set (I think rosscoe you might have also caught this, at the Darlinghurst). It was one of my favourite theatre experiences

I once posted this about it: "The walls of the theatre around the stage were grey so it felt like you were in a prison cell. The Molina was old, pale and thin. It felt like he was there for a long time. Valentin was young, tanned and attractive. It was really interesting seeing them together.

"

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

rosscoe(au)
#12Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/27/12 at 3:34am

I sadly missed that production in Sydney. I think that's the only time the show has been done in Australia.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/27/12 at 8:41am

Mention also has to be made that Chita was already in her early 60s in this footage. A perfect example of a finely tuned (and well-kept) machine.

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#14Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/27/12 at 10:00am

Chita was *fierce* in this...

Clint. Atlanta,GA

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#15Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/27/12 at 9:35pm

now I can't get the show off my mind *pulls out old CDs*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUQlQGH1fhc&feature=related

Clint. Atlanta,GA

rosscoe(au)
#16Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/28/12 at 5:32pm

Eric, have the composers demo if you would like to hear, just drop me a PM

EricMontreal22
#17Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/28/12 at 5:37pm

I would love to. Sadly my ****ed up profile on here won't let me send PMs except in reply to ones sent to me...

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#18Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/28/12 at 5:59pm

Eric, I heard this a few years ago from a family friend who did press for the show so I may be distorting the information slightly from what he said a while back, but I believe that Patterson was the original choreographer for the production, but his dances weren't gelling with Prince's vision, so Marshall was brought on. Perhaps there was some legal dispute over credits during the Toronto and London runs and by the time the show came to Broadway, Patterson was given co-credit for choreography. The majority of the dances were Marshall's (most famously "Where You Are"), but there were pieces of Patterson's work in the show. I think the only full number (or majority of a number) that consisted of his choreography that stayed was "Gimme Love."

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

EricMontreal22
#19Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/28/12 at 6:29pm

Thanks for the details! Gimme Love certainly is the most "Madonna" of the production numbers.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/28/12 at 10:40pm

I was lucky enough to see Chita in this in Denver when it toured.

Just give the world Love.

rosscoe(au)
#21Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:02am

Eric, in Abu Dhabi till Thursday I'll send you a copy ( link ) when I get home

EricMontreal22
#22Kiss Of The Spiderwoman: Press Reel
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:24pm

Thanks! Enjoy Abu Dhabi (I think I just like writing that)