thetinymagic2
#1Anyone go to 1st preview tonight of "Old Jews Telling Jokes?"
Posted: 5/1/12 at 9:29pm

Westside Theater.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#2Anyone go to 1st preview tonight of
Posted: 5/2/12 at 1:33pm

I didn't, but a friend of mine read the script and said it was hilarious. And the cast seems first rate. If you didn't see Dan Okrent's article in NY Magazine about the show, it's a riot. Link below.
Dan Okrent on Old Jews Telling Jokes

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#2Anyone go to 1st preview tonight of
Posted: 5/2/12 at 9:07pm

Yes, I just got my NY mag in the mail. Freakin' hilarious! If the show is one iota as good as the article, great. Seeing it Sunday nite with my REAL "old jew who tells jokes", an 85 y.o Borscht Belt comedian (well known in the day) who still works from time to time (in Miami, of course!)

Updated On: 5/2/12 at 09:07 PM

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#3Anyone go to 1st preview tonight of
Posted: 5/3/12 at 12:15pm

Make sure you let us know how you like it. After reading the Okren article, I think I defintely want to see it.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#4Anyone go to 1st preview tonight of
Posted: 5/3/12 at 12:31pm

Tix have been on TDF.org, so I would be interested in hearing more about the show too.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#5Anyone go to 1st preview tonight of
Posted: 5/3/12 at 1:10pm

I wish they would change the title. It sounds like another Catskills on Broadway.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#6Anyone go to 1st preview tonight of
Posted: 5/3/12 at 10:01pm

They need the title, because that's the name of the website and book. And the website is hilarious because it really is "old" jews telling jokes - jokes that might even have made Redd Foxx blush.

p.s.
#7A Jew Grows in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/3/12 at 10:10pm

Also, might want to try Jake Ehrenreich's A Jew Grows in Brooklyn.

Save $15 with code "BIZCARD"

p.s.

Or if you're my friend, you can buy all tickets [except Premium] (for shows up to May 13th) for only $25.00 each. Use code "FRIENDS2"

website [corrected link] Updated On: 5/3/12 at 10:10 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8A Jew Grows in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/3/12 at 10:26pm

I know the writers behind it, and they're brilliant.

But that title gives me heartburn. I can't go.

JoanBennett Profile Photo
JoanBennett
#9A Jew Grows in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/4/12 at 10:07am

I went last night and it is F-U-N!!!!

It was 10 times better than I expected and the audience was just CRAZY for it. In one section, an actor was talking about the old Lower East Side, mentioning famous restaurants and it was as if we were at a fundamentalist revival meeting: a woman in the back shouted "YES! Oh, YES!' at each of her favorite restaurants.

The set uses its technology better than Ghost, seriously. It fits in perfectly.

The actors are mostly old school comedians who know what they're doing: Lenny Wolpe, Marilyn Sokol (!!!) Todd Susman.

Two are younger, and it helps round the humor out (the guy ain't bad to look at!)

It's difficult to describe the show because it's not Catskill, it's not Vegas, it's more like you're in a neighbor's basement with some REALLY funny people and everybody's gonna try to top the others.

It's still being worked on, but it's THERE already. I predict a long run. Temporary star casting would be so simple to incorporate. And, like that old bagel ad, you don't have to be Jewish to pee your pants...

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#10A Jew Grows in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/8/12 at 7:44pm

mini review (sunday nite perf)

ok, i'm not sure if joanBennett is a shill or not), but I'm more disappointed w/the show.

It's only the 6th preview, so perhaps it just needs time. However, imho, about 60-70% of the jokes fell flat as pancakes. The actors seemed a little tentative in their performances, and delivery. It may just be me, but I didn't like M. Sokol, at all. This type of show demands split second TIMING. Mr Sussman was rushing his lines (jokes), and was not that audible to the back rows, Mr. Wolpe, a bit better. The 2 young people - why? This structure worked much better on the YouTube website. My opinion is probably in the minority, 'cause most of the audience was laughing like hyenas. I've heard penis/sex/rabbi jokes a million times. Nothing new.

Oh, and yenta lady behind me, YOU OPENED YOUR LOUD VELCRO PURSE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A JOKE, and the creators were sitting right next to you. Oy.....

Spoiler Alert: (below)

Q: If any one has seen the show, PLEASE! Nobody got the long winded "c---t" joke!? As told by Marilyn, it bombed. Can someone explain this joke to me. Punch line: something about a liver in the sink....

Updated On: 5/8/12 at 07:44 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11A Jew Grows in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/8/12 at 10:21pm

What's so special about the set?