pixeltracker

Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?- Page 19

Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#450Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/6/12 at 1:22pm

I'm seeing the show again on Friday night and again on Saturday night.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#451Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/6/12 at 1:27pm

Joseph Kolinski was on for Danny Burstein on Tuesday night.

BroadwayFan12
#452Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/6/12 at 7:59pm

I hope Danny is okay. Do you see Kolinski, Wicked Fanatic?

Updated On: 6/6/12 at 07:59 PM

Wicked Fanatic
#453Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/6/12 at 8:12pm

No I didn't but had a friend who saw him and enjoyed him. She hadn't seen Follies or Burstein before so didn't influence her feelings. As stated earlier he had an allergy problem and hopefully will be back tonight.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#454Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/6/12 at 8:49pm

I completely forgot that this is Pride Weekend in LA/WeHo. Might make for an especially lively closing night audience.

Wicked Fanatic
#455Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/6/12 at 8:54pm

And I just got a phone message that all three theatres will be in use for the Saturday performances and to come very early to navigate the expected parking crunch at the Music Center.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#456Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/6/12 at 8:58pm

Ooh. Thanks for the notice. That seals the deal. Definitely taking Metro.

Trying to decide where to take my parents out for a late dinner after the "Follies" closing night performance. Probably going to stick to downtown. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward Perch for that gorgeous view, but it's damn pricey.
Updated On: 6/6/12 at 08:58 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#457Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/6/12 at 9:57pm

The 1987 British cast performs the original 1971 Michael Bennett choreography for "Who's That Woman" on the 1988 Olivier Awards show:

http://www.bluegobo.com/production/2883009/video/10005

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#458Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 2:40am

If it is open, I would recommend Patina at the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Saw the show tonight. It was stunning. Jan Maxwell and Danny Burstein stole the show (IMO). I am so glad I saw this production.
Patina

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#459Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 4:31am

Patina? Yes, I've always wanted to go there, but I should have mentioned, my parents aren't Mr. and Mrs. Warren Buffett!

Anyway, in case anyone else is in the same boat, I've narrowed it down to Mas Malo, Bottega Louie and Wood & Vine (not downtown, but open super late, wonderful small plates and cockatils and just 10 mins away on the Red Line).

f13overture Profile Photo
f13overture
#460Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 5:05am

Just curious where the stage door is at. I'm thinking of stopping by after the show. Anyone know where it's at?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#461Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 9:15am

Very interesting to see the original Bennett choreography. It doesn't make me forget Terri White for a minute, though! I'm not a dancer, but it seems to me that the Bennett version would be harder to recall after 30 years of not performing it; the steps seem pretty complicated. I guess the audience has to suspend disbelief, even with the current version!

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#462Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 10:40am

I'm going tonight...let's hope all the cast is there!!!

YouWantitWhen????
#463Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 10:41am

I believe it is on Temple just a little west of Grand, in the rear of the theater (at least that is where it was last time I went back stage).

And HT, yeah, Patina is a bit pricey (well worth it for special occasions, and not too bad IF you are not drinking). I am not sure what time the show ends, but you may also want to check Chinatown to see if anything is open late.

Updated On: 6/7/12 at 10:41 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#464Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 11:04am

Macnyc--what you can't see in that video--and what the Bennett choreography was all about--is the way the ghosts came out of the darkness and gloom upstage. The video is lit for the awards show, not for the production.

The older women start out trying very hard to remember the routine, as the dance routine keeps getting more and more difficult. But Bennett would never let them play forgetting the steps or doing them badly. He loved to stage things like that with a very unique artfulness.

Then the tap section starts. At that point, the ghosts appear--facing upstage--as if the women are experiencing their memories being refreshed, the way dancers have what they call "muscle memory."

The lighting at this point became almost surreal, and the ghosts faced forward and began to mingle with the older women--the past and the present coming together. By the end, it doesn't matter that the younger women are out-dancing the older women. They are all doing it full-out, 100% to the best of their ability at their age.

So the song was not about how you can't dance anymore when you get old. It was one of the two moments in the show in which remembering the past was NOT destructive. It was rejuvenating. (The other was the crescendo of "I'm Still Here.")

Here's a bad-quality video of the number from the original production. Watch how the ghosts appear:

http://youtu.be/mgvoAr0_gt4

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#465Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 11:08am

Each and every time I watch clips of that original production I get goosebumps... fantastic!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#466Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 11:27am

The Pacific Dining Car in downtown is open 24 hours, and I've enjoyed many a late night meal there after seeing a show at The Music Center. There's also Kendall's right there at The Music Center, directly below The Dorothy Chandler.

YouWantitWhen????
#467Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 12:24pm

Just my opinion, but Kendall's is overpriced dreck.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#468Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 12:29pm

Love Kendall's Chicken Caesar Salad. It's very good.

Wildcard
#469Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 12:48pm

If you like sushi (and if it's open that late), check out Sugarfish by Nozawa downtown. Best sushi in SoCal.

Looking forward to seeing Follies again tonight!

YouWantitWhen????
#470Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 1:07pm

NB, maybe I will give it another chance. I had some Risotto there that was just terrible. And the service was not much better.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#471Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 1:53pm

I'm getting my backstage tour today between shows,

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#472Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 2:09pm

How exciting! Are you seeing the matinee today?

If you do give Kendall's another chance, hope it's a good experience! Updated On: 6/7/12 at 02:09 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#473Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 2:57pm

I've seen the show twice already and was supposed to go back stage last time.

Kendall's is painfully over priced and has horrid reviews on Yelp.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#474Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?
Posted: 6/7/12 at 3:09pm

Have fun on your tour. Very exciting.