pixeltracker

Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?- Page 4

Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?

PattiLover Profile Photo
PattiLover
#75Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 1:07pm

Kelly2, there's no reason to be a bitch to anyone who's paying to see you perform. I don't know why it's expected and hip to be a jerk in the theater.

Being a nice person is relevant to your life moreso than your work, and it costs nothing.

This doesn't even pertain to Josh, he IS a genuine, nice person.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#76Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 1:51pm

Patti,
While I agree that it costs nothing to be nice and I personally think that it's smarter to be nice to those spending money on you, that doesn't make it every Broadway performer's obligation to agree with that assessment. Their "job" is over when the curtain falls and anything that occurs after is extra and should not be "expected" or "required".

Also, nothing you've said refutes my point that behavior that occurs outside the theatre is absolutely irrelevant to the quality of performance being given onstage and the performance is the only thing I have any interest in discussing.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

bwaybby
landlocked_mermaid Profile Photo
landlocked_mermaid
#78Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:10pm

Thanks for that link, bwaybby. I will never tire of watching performances from this show.

And Kelly2, while I agree with you that how a performer conducts him or herself once the curtain fails is irrelevant to the quality of the performance, I do have to say that I tend to like and respect a performer more if they don't act like a complete asshat when they're not on stage.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#79Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:21pm

Awesome vid, bwaybby, totally made my night :)

Landlocked- How do you know if they're an asshat or not? If your only interaction with someone is after they've just worked incredibly hard and are dying to get home, it's not exactly fair to judge. If you work in the industry, I could understand why someone's temperament and personality could play into deciding whether or not you want to work with someone. But really, and this is based on personal experience, there is absolutely nothing productive, useful, or necessary about chasing someone down after they're leaving their work. If you must do so, it's unfair to judge them on whether or not they sucked up to those waiting sufficiently. That's not their job.

landlocked_mermaid Profile Photo
landlocked_mermaid
#80Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:37pm

I know what you're saying Kelly, and I would never approach someone after a performance for specifically that reason.

If there are stories about asshat behavior in a different context, say for instance being rude to the waitstaff in a restaurant, that is more along the lines of what I was trying to say. And as always, once has to take even stories like that with a grain of salt. Unless I personally witness bad behavior, I give the benefit of the doubt.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#81Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/27/12 at 10:47pm

I'll go with the Original Concept Recording and the 1996 West End Revival. Steve Balsamo is phenomenal in it and even more so live. Joanna Ampil was better onstage than on CD. Zubin Varla is just awesome.

I love this Broadway production of JCS. Having Judas put Jesus to bed right before "I Don't Know How to Love Him" was an interesting choice as was having Judas be a voyeur during the rest of the song. Also loved how he became part of "Could We Start Again, Please."

SporkGoddess
#82Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/27/12 at 11:05pm

I know I'm probably alone in this, but the movie soundtrack with Ted Neely and Carl Anderson remains my favorite. Probably because I love Carl Anderson's Judas so much, haha.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#83Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/27/12 at 11:20pm

As far as this fan is concerned, Carl's the benchmark. I mean no disrespect to Josh Young, who I've seen and makes a valiant attempt, but after his Tony performance, I posted Carl's rendition of "Superstar" on the Tonight Show in 1993 on my Facebook feed as representative of the JCS that I know and love, so that theater-loving friends who would be turned off by that Tony appearance could understand why I loved the show so much.

Carl Anderson -- "Superstar"

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

bwaylvsong
#84Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/27/12 at 11:27pm

I saw today's matinee and really enjoyed it... Josh was incredible! My only issue was that I was sitting next to the "vom" and was a little distracted (and jumped a little) every time actors entered from right next to me. But what do you want for $27? Wish I could see it again...

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#85Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/27/12 at 11:50pm

Seeing it again Saturday night before it closes Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#86Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:12am

I Saw JC Superstar and was very surprised at how much I liked it. The show is well played and very well sung. The end was very moving.

I thought if they had Adam Lambert in it as Judas, it would have stayed open longer. Whether he would have been better or not is irrelevant.

Really enjoyed the cast especially the over the top Herod. Josh Young was good. There was something missing in the other two. JC and Mary.. . I'm not sure what that was. Chemistry?

I can't believe they didn't do one of those great production numbers at the Tony's. They looked so lame on the Tony's.

I had more fun at this than Once or Newsies. You have a few more days to catch it.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#87Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/28/12 at 11:10am

There was something missing in the other two. JC and Mary.. . I'm not sure what that was. Chemistry?

Apparently they're a couple in real life. You'd never know, the way they act on stage.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Dawn Davenport Profile Photo
Dawn Davenport
#88Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/29/12 at 12:05pm

My sister and I saw the revival twice. The first time we saw it Jeremy Kushnier was filling in as Judas and he was terrific. We went a second time to see Josh Young as Judas.

Josh Young was quite frankly sexier which made the "triangle" between Judas, Jesus and Mary more charged (my opinion anyway.) Both are wonderful singers and actors and were worth seeing!

My sis and I stage-doored the 2nd time we saw it and EVERYONE (including Josh Young) was lovely, warm, friendly. Couldn't have been nicer. Tom Hewitt was a standout to me, both onstage and off. I told him that I'd love to see him play Sweeney Todd someday and he loved that! I was being completely sincere, I think he's got the voice and the presence for it.

And to the person who crassly asked "what team" Josh Young bats for, he's engaged to a woman. Even if he was engaged to a man, that wouldn't make a difference. He's hot, and his choice of sexual partners is irrelevant.

Updated On: 6/29/12 at 12:05 PM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#89Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/29/12 at 12:13pm

Seeing the show for the final time tonight Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot? I know it gets a lot of hate but I really enjoyed this production and cast (for the most part).

iluvtheatertrash
#90Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/29/12 at 12:29pm

I didn't care for him when I saw the show. But the NYTimes performance makes me hot.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Jamminman
#91Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/29/12 at 11:34pm

Steve Balsamo's Gethsemane on the CD needs to be heard to be believed. There's no way he held out that note that long is there? Studio trickery?? Joanna Ampil's voice is usually great, but it didn't translate well to the CD (and even worse on the Miss Saigon symphonic). Zubin Varla is unbelievable, although Carl Anderson will always be the best. Definitely pick up the 1996 Australian

Updated On: 6/30/12 at 11:34 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#92Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/30/12 at 12:24am

If you listen to (cough) live recordings (cough) of Balsamo (even from around the time of the 1996 CD's release), he doesn't hold the note that long. Either he lost the technique in the transition from studio to stage, or someone copied that note and then hit paste about five freakin' times.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#93Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/30/12 at 9:12pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the final performance tomorrow. I will miss this show.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

Sinfonia2001
#94Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 6/30/12 at 9:34pm

Which one is the album with the black background and the T in superstar is a church cross, and the two angels are at the bottom. I have that one. Its pretty good.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#95Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 8:06pm

I just need you guys to know that in mourning of this production closing I have painted my nails in Essie's "Aruba Blue" which I think would best be renamed "Josh Young's Sparkly Top Blue". Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#96Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 8:25pm

I saw the closing show yesterday and it was amazing. I'm sad this revival closed so soon. And Josh Young stopped the show big time right after "Superstar."

I loved how they cast a legit baritone for Judas and cast a traditional sounding Jesus. It makes for a very interesting vocal comparison and contrast between the two characters.

I already miss the show so much.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#97Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 8:28pm

I bet closing was amazing. I couldn't make it as I had another commitment but I did see the show one last time on Friday night and it was just as wonderful as the last time.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#98Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 7/3/12 at 9:06am

I was there too on Sunday. I've seen a lot of shows since moving to NYC, but never saw one with a standing ovation before the end of the show, as noted above. Paul and Josh had a very nice extended embrace during the scene where Judas betrays Jesus.. Oh well, best to all involved. It was short, but very sweet.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

bwaybby
#99Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
Posted: 7/3/12 at 9:39pm

Wait,there was a standing ovation after one of Josh's numbers? Amazing! I can't believe I missed that!!!! someone please explain