pixeltracker

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'- Page 4

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'

Bwaydide92
#75JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 2:37pm

Yeah it doesn't make sense to announce a possible closing date because people will stop buying tickets for performances after that. Why waste my time if the show's going to close and I'll just get refunded?

Ceej
#76JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 2:50pm

I had tickets for early August and I just got an email 5 minutes ago telling me they're canceled. So it looks like it's no longer a question of business improving (if it ever really was).

Attention ticket holder!

Message sent on behalf of the Neil Simon Theatre in New York City, NY:

Jesus Christ Superstar
Neil Simon Theatre
Tuesday, July 3rd through Sunday, September 2nd

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the production of “Jesus Christ Superstar” at the Neil Simon Theatre will play its final performance on Sunday July 1st at 3PM. All performances after that date have been cancelled.

We’ve automatically refunded your order, including fees (except UPS and InStore Pick Up, if applicable) which will appear to your credit card within 7 – 10 business days.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, thank you for your understanding, and look forward to your continued patronage.

If you are still wishing to see Jesus Christ Superstar at the Neil Simon Theatre to purchase tickets just click here.

Questions? Just hit reply and ask us or visit Ticketmaster.com!

Thanks for being a fan!

Ticketmaster Fan Support

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#77JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 4:13pm

LizzieCurry- I saw Jeremy Kushnier as Judas too!

I didn't hate the show as much as I thought I would but unfortunately it's competed against two other strong revivals.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#78JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 5:06pm

'by announcing their closing date this way it simply makes them look pathetic & desperate. when was the last time a flop announced a closing only to take it back due to high ticket demand??'

Exactly

'Am I the only one who finds these recent "unless business picks up" qualifiers for Godspell and now JCS... stupid?

"Unless people buy tickets, we're going to close!"

Uh, duh?'

Exactly

It's stupid to think a show like Venus in Fur with 2 people and 1 set should charge the same ticket price as Lion King.

Exactly

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#79JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 6:50pm

We had tickets for July 15 and I just got the same cancellation notice by email a few hours ago. This is really disappointing. I grew up loving the concept album and was really looking forward to finally seeing it on Broadway. And we had front row seats at regular prices!!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#80JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 7:15pm

'by announcing their closing date this way it simply makes them look pathetic & desperate. when was the last time a flop announced a closing only to take it back due to high ticket demand??'

Exactly

'Am I the only one who finds these recent "unless business picks up" qualifiers for Godspell and now JCS... stupid?

"Unless people buy tickets, we're going to close!"

Uh, duh?'

Exactly

I mean I can see why they would do it. They are basically encouraging people to see the show ASAP and because Broadway shows run week to week getting them into the theatre ASAP is quite important..in practice maybe people don't actually care enough so it is rather pointless. But I can still see why they would do it. If the show genuinely had a large following of supporters or people holding out to buy tickets it could have worked. Maybe not on the scale of the size of a Broadway theatre though.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#81JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 8:33pm

"If the show genuinely had a large following of supporters or people holding out to buy tickets it could have worked. Maybe not on the scale of the size of a Broadway theatre though."

That's the thing, it had a HUGE following over in Stratford. So much that I believe they extended performances. Young and Nolan got casted in the same shows every year at the Shakespeare festival and because the audiences knew and loved them and Des McAnuff, it was an absolute hit over there. On Broadway, however, it just did not go over like it did in Canada. The things that seemed to work well with people over there just did not work here. It was overhyped for nothing and it was an unfortunate waste of time and money JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

landlocked_mermaid Profile Photo
landlocked_mermaid
#82JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 9:18pm

From what I understand, it did really well at La Jolla too and I don't think that there was a built-in following for any of the performers there.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#83JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/21/12 at 6:00pm

Man, I'm really sad about this. My boyfriend has never been to New York or seen a show and I asked to take him last month. But since my parents don't accept the whole gay thing I got a no. I was still hopeful I could take him to see it.

Now this makes me really sad. But I know you'll get the chance to take him to a show soon enough and it will be very special!