pixeltracker

Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather than Later- Page 5

Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather than Later

Rypm25 Profile Photo
Rypm25
#100Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 11:41am

The reason those names are suggested for the witch is because a big budget movie version of "Into the Woods" directed by Rob Marshall is going to star a catherine zeta jones, or a nicole kidman, or a charlize theron as the witch...

BroadwayStar4 Profile Photo
BroadwayStar4
#101Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 2:41pm

The reason those names are suggested for the witch is because a big budget movie version of "Into the Woods" directed by Rob Marshall is going to star a catherine zeta jones, or a nicole kidman, or a charlize theron as the witch...

I know what you mean, but these actresses are a bit too old now. I saw "Rock of Ages", and even Catherine is starting to age a bit. And Charlize doesn't sing. I mean, if Marshall is gonna pick any of these 3 actresses, then I think he should pick Nicole, but then again, she's starting to look her age too and she's considered a "box office poison".

While I see your point, Hunter Parrish didn't exactly draw sold out houses for Godspell. His is not yet a huge name.

I wasn't thinking of Hunter Parrish being the one to draw in the audience. I was thinking of someone talented and fairly well-known to play Jack, while the actors who will play The Baker, Baker's Wife, Cinderella and The Witch have to be the real star power to bring in the audience.

jimmycurry01
#102Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 3:24pm

You are saying that Catherine Zeta Jones and Nicole Kidman are too old to play a character that spends the first half of the film as a shriveled hag? On a second note, have you ever seen pictures or video of the great Julia McKenzie in the role? After the transformation she doesn't have to be 20 and beautiful, just elegant and beautiful.

jimmycurry01
#103Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 3:30pm

Oh, and on a second note, you want to piss and moan about people not thinking outside the box, then you dis the outside the box suggestion. Just because you have never heard Charlize Theron sing does not mean that she can't. Go watch Mighty Joe young. She doesn't belt anything out, but does softly sing a lullaby very sweetly and shows she can at least carry a tune.
Try thinking outside the box yourself.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#104Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 3:57pm

are there pics or video of Julia McKenzie in ITW? I've never seen any.

maila Profile Photo
maila
#105Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 5:59pm

i think rachel crowe (young girl from x factor) would be perfect for little red riding hood. and she's connected to disney now. jake gyllenhaal and ryan gosling as the princes. CZJ as the witch. minnie driver as baker's wife. jason segal as the baker. greyson chance as jack. evan rachel wood as cinderella. christine baranski as cinderella's step mother.

Updated On: 6/24/12 at 05:59 PM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#106Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 6:03pm

I would love to see Cotillard as the which. She is a big name and that woman can act the **** out of anything. She is able to convey so much with her eyes and that is what makes her so good.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#107Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 6:26pm

Cotillard would be an inspired choice for the Witch, loved her singing in NINE, and she was terrifying and unhinged in INCEPTION. Cotillard would definitely be in my top three choices, along with Penelope Cruz and Catherine Z. Jones.
Amanda Seyfried would be terrific as Cinderella, get Hailee Steinfeld for Little Red and Amy Adams for the Baker's Witch and you got yourself a stellar cast.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#108Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 6:59pm

Yes, Marion Cotillard would be a great Witch if you want all the Witch's songs to be flat and breathy.

Updated On: 6/23/12 at 06:59 PM

BroadwayStar4
#109Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 7:24pm

jimmycurry01, well look who's pissing and moaning now. And no, "carrying a tune" is not enough. I doubt Charlize has the vocal range for this role. But if she does, then fine, but as of now it's unlikely.

On stage it's more acceptable for a woman in their 40's to play the role of a witch who then turns into a beautiful swan. But on film, it's very different. If the audience see Catherine up close on the big screen, after her transformation, they'll see all the wrinkles on her face.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#110Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 7:28pm

^ Exactly, Phyllis. that would barely be a step above Bonham Carter's hollow boy tenor. CZJ's raspy voice at least has some power and emotion. She can certainly sell a song better than Cotillard and Carter.

Updated On: 6/23/12 at 07:28 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#111Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 7:38pm

Ha, I'd rather listen to Helena Bonham Carter sing anything than ever hear Marion Cotillard sing again.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#112Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 7:45pm

Aww sad. "My Husband Makes Movies" was my favourite part of the NINE movie...I think she'd make a good desiree. But yes, she doesn't have the voice for this role.

CZJ really seems like the best choice! She has a sufficient amount of power and vibrato to make songs like "Last Midnight" sound thrilling, she is beautiful and glamorous enough to make the transformation hilarious (just a silly argument that she is too old..she isn't, she looks great)...and she has enough star power + experience working with Sondheim and Marshall to minimise any risks. I really hope it happens.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/23/12 at 07:45 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#113Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 7:52pm

But what about all those cracks and crevices in her ancient face!!!???????

BroadwayStar4
#114Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 7:59pm

Someone mentioned Kate Winslet, and I think that's a fairly good choice. She has a great voice, and I don't remember her having a successful 'movie musical', not even musical theatre......as far as I know about her career.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#115Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/23/12 at 10:19pm

I stage doored Night Music and got to see CZJ up close and personal. I might have been a bit starstruck, but I thought she was even more beautiful and glamorous than on the screen. I think it's an easy sell for her to portray the "youth and beauty" needed for the role. And although I can completely hear and see the performance she'll likely give, the idea of her Last Midnight is THRILLING.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#116Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 12:03am

I loved Marion Cotillard's signing in NINE, she completely sold the numbers for me, I think Cotillard would act the hell out of the songs and be incredibly fun and incredible as the Witch, she's a fantastic actress. I agree Catherine Z. Jones is one of the people that would make the most sense for the role though, she and Marshall could create CHICAGO-like magic with a role as good as the Witch.
I think Jessica Chastain should also be considered for the Baker's Wife, if Amy Adams chooses not to do it. Eddie Redmayne or jamie Bell seems perfect for Jack, unless they go for a young kid.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

callitquits
#117Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 12:15am

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see Maya Rudolph as Baker's Wife. Wonderful singing voice, out of this world comic timing, and proved in Away We Go she is able to do a lot more heavy lifting actingwise than she is normally given. In fact, I'd love to see her reunited with her Away We Go costar John Krasinski as the Baker.

And while I'm on this "never-gonna-happen" dream casting kick, could we get Krasinski's wife Emily Blunt on board as Cinderella? She is stunning, charismatic, and equally adept at comedy and drama.

Obviously this video doesn't indicate that she has the soprano range, but she does have a really lovely voice that makes me think there's more to be explored.
Emily Blunt singing

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#118Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 1:07am

There must be pics of Julia as the WITCH from the West End production. She wears a little fascinator type pointed hat.
I loved that production. I have the Souveneir Program which is a fun artistic reminder.
And the CD has great pics also.
There are tons of actors that could score in these roles, and again NO ONE has to sing, it's a movie. I would love to hear the score sung beautifully, but that's not the point of movie misicals, remember Johnny as SWEENEY?

A more important element for me will be the design aspects, it has so many possibilties to be visually stunning and scarey.

I do feel they will add some type of framing device as in the stories being told to a modern kid, movies these days tend to do that.

I would love a more European cast in line with the Story Origins, Marion is a great choice for WITCH. Throw in more Brits and Germanics.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#119Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 2:48am

look at my avater for Julia!

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#120Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 2:52am

Having really enjoyed A Monster in Paris, I thought Vanessa Paradis might be an interesting choice

jimmycurry01
#121Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 3:13am

BroadwayStar4, that beautiful swan does not necessarily have to be young. Julia was not young, nor did they try to make her look young. Just elegant and regal. We are also talking about a musical that has been filmed in English twice already. Bernadette was a year older than Cathrine Zeta Jones is now, how bothered are you by her wrinkles on your big screen TV? There is only a six year age difference between Bernadette and Hannah Waddingham, I don't notice any wrinkles there on my TV on her either.
Besides, I thought your problem with Zeta Jones was that she wasn't outside the box, not her age.

molly4401
#122Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 3:22am

Oh I love these sorts of things!

Witch:
-I like the clip of Emily Blunt. Never heard her sing before...I think she could actually be a great witch since she has the comedy, the drama, the beauty...everything!
-Anne Hathaway could be a good choice too. She could also do a great Baker's wife.
-Megan Hilty might be an interesting choice.
-Kristen Chenowith could work if she didn't try to make it cutesy.
-Catherine Zeta Jones is a great choice but I worry about the more comedic parts, and she has done too much to her face.
-Sarah Jessica Parker I would love. I realize she isn't gorgeous and is looking a little old, but that doesn't bother me. Besides, with all the special effects they will use they can spare some for her right?
-Lady Gaga would be a bold choice.
-My fave choice is Idina Menzel though. She isn't famous enough probably, but I would love to see her do it.

Jack:
Daniel Radcliffe would be perfect in my opinion.

Jack's mother:
Only one I could think of is Helena Bonham Carter...she is too young though probably.

Baker and Baker's wife:
Younger: Amy Adams with Jason Segel. They were great in the Muppets together!
Older: Kate Winslet and Steve Carrel. He sang on Snl once. I could see him as the neurotic baker.

Little Red:
I think she should be a teen because on screen it will be way too creepy. I think Miley Cyrus would be perfect. She is so obnoxious already she wouldn't have to act at all.

Cinderella:
100 Percent voting for Kristen Bell.

Princes:
Older: I would love Matthew Morrison with Neil Patrick Harris as Cinderella's and Rapunzel's princes respectively. They had chemistry on Glee.
Younger: Jonathan Groff with some other semi famous young Broadway stud.

Narrator:
If they don't double cast with Mysterious Man I would love to see Ellen Degeneres as the narrator. I think their sense of humor is similar. OR I would love Steve Martin.

Stepmother:
Older: Kelly Bishop
Younger: Bebe Neuwirth

Giant:
Meryl Streep

Ok that is all I have for now.

Owen22
#123Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 3:43am

Okay, I've moved on from Sandra Bulloch and am saying YES YES YES to Maya Rudolph as the Bakers Wife!!

Talk about great outside the box casting suggestions!! Good job!!

jaspar0308
#124Looks like Rob Marshall's INTO THE WOODS Film Is Gonna Happen Sooner Rather
Posted: 6/24/12 at 4:10am

I thought of Megan Hilty also, as she is a proven musical theatre talent, along with her stint on "Smash". I'm not sure if she's right for any of the roles, though. I guess she would make a good Baker's Wife.

Another person I thought of was Zooey Deschanel. She has proven that she can sing, and I think this would be a great opportunity for her to sort of shed her "quirky girl" image and prove that she really can act in a dramatic role. I think she would really be an interesting choice for Cinderella.

For the Witch, what about Harriet Harris or Ellen Greene? Neither one is necessarily the first person I'd think of for the role, but we know that they can sing and act.