pixeltracker

Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?

Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?

Leadingplayer
#1Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 4:40am

She did the workshop.

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#2Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 6:29am

Around five years ago, someone on this very board said she was axed because she was "uncooperative and a diva." I'm guessing it was a little less dramatic than that.

We all know that Sondheim likes his music sung in a very particular way and that Ms. Buckley likes to sing in a very particular way, and maybe they just clashed. Along with other little problems along those lines.

Whatever happened, at the end of the day, it was decided that Ms. Buckley wasn't the right person to play the witch.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#2Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 7:34am

When I saw a late preview of the show, at intermission she happened to be there smoking a long brown cigarette. Standing next to her I spoke to her-embarrassing myself by my sudden stuttering, thanking her for her career choices(what a dweeb). As wonderful is she is, she did seem somewhat nutty...at least according to this dweeb!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#3Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 8:48am

What I heard at the time was that someone thought she wasn't capable of the grand glam transformation.

The person who told me that might have been misinformed by someone in touch with someone in touch with someone who knew the real story. Or, if that reason was ever given by someone in control, it might have either been a) inaccurate or b) disingenuous.

I have no idea. I'm just saying what I heard.

Buckley is well known as being an eccentric. She is also not for everybody. To me, she is one of the most talented people alive.

What's interesting to me is to imagine what she would have been like in the role. I believe she would have been far more frightening than Bernadette. I also think that might have been part of the replacement equation.

Just a theory.

Updated On: 7/2/12 at 08:48 AM

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#4Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 9:10am

The truth is Buckley wanted her voice heard in terms of what she wanted for the character/songs. Sondheim as noted previously wanted his songs done the way they were written, no questions asked.

As far as her "diva" behavior- I've said this before- yes she can be erratic- but who at that level of talent in this industry can't be from time to time. I think she gets a bad rap, and quite frankly, considering what some other "divas" in this business get away with, I think its a little unfair.

henrikegerman
#5Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 9:33am

Wow, sounds like a true case of creative differences.

bryan2
#6Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 10:06am

I remember hearing something that Bernadette told Sondheim she would be interested in it if he built up the Witches part a little...She was huge then -just coming off Sunday and Song and Dance-and willing to work in an ensemble so he jumped on it
Many people were disapointed that she chose to be the witch because it wasnt a huge part....I loved her in it and believe me no-one was as good as her. Peters at that time could fill seats Buckley really coulnt

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 10:18am

Buckley can be a crazy diva but (at least in my experience and others I know with her) her behavior in no way matches that of actresses even half her age.

I hope to God she returns in a new musical some time soon. I miss hearing that voice live on stage.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#8Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 10:28am

I thought I heard somewhere that Sondheim wrote the score with Buckley's voice in mind.

Such a shame she never got to do the role. She would have been pretty scary and intense.

Gothampc
#9Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 11:35am

I believe this was also the time when she had a little sniff-sniff problem.

@henrikegerman "What I heard at the time was that someone thought she wasn't capable of the grand glam transformation."

I don't think Donna Murphy is capable of that, but we'll see.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#10Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 11:48am

Why don't you think Murphy is capable of that?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Gothampc
#11Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 11:54am

"Why don't you think Murphy is capable of that?"

Because next to Amy Adams, Murphy will look like a troll. There's no way they can make Murphy look better than Adams.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#12Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 11:56am

Jordan I couldn't agree more! That voice in my opinion has always been one of the best in the business.

AEA AGMA SM
#13Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 11:59am

That was one major thing Vanessa Williams had in the last revival. No matter what you thought about her performance there is no denying that her transformation, both the way it was staged and how she looked afterwards, was stunning.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 12:22pm

Buckley was a mess in the mid-'80s at the height of her career in theatre and in her professional problems. She survived both, but opportunities were lost and squandered. Ultimately, she got her act together and her enormous talent endured. In the end, that's what counts.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

bryan2
#15Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 12:59pm

As beautiful as Vanessa Williams is -Bernadette looked better to me when she transformed...it was amazing ..

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#16Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 1:33pm

I actually think Donna Murphy is quite beautiful.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

henrikegerman
#17Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 1:37pm

Wow, Gotham, of course it's a subjective thing, but count me as one who also thinks Murphy is exceptionally beautiful. While Adams is lovely, I actually find Murphy to be even more attractive. (not to mention that the two characters are not competing in the Miss Storybook Contest and are each being played by fine actresses capable of turning off and on their level of physical attractiveness).

While we are on the subject, during rehearsals for Into the Woods, I was having lunch at the Blue Water Grill (or whatever that Union Square restaurant was called at the time). Bernadette came in - I should say made an entrance, because it couldn't have been other than that, notwithstanding the lack of any pretentious theatricality - with Zien and Gleason. Of course, I had seen her before many times on stage and screen, and always found her very attractive, but at that moment she was, not to exaggerate, breathtakingly beautiful. I, and it seemed most of the place, were stunned at how gorgeous she was.

Updated On: 7/2/12 at 01:37 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 1:41pm

It's not like the there's a line in the show that says, "And the Witch was restored to her youth and beauty- and she's way more beautiful than the Baker's Wife, too!"

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#19Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 1:46pm

Haha, thank you, Kad. I think Murphy is going to be wonderful as the Witch, anyone who saw her in FOLLIES can see how she'll easily pull off the glamorous part of the role, she'll be regal and fantastic, I can't wait to hear her rendition of "Last Midnight," I imagine it'll be nothing short of mind-blowing.
I believe Peters' involvement came very late in the game, not too long before rehearsals started, and there's some really cool old threads about this that get into how Peters got involved (and it's also talked about in Secrest's Sondheim bio I believe), but I do remember that it was agreed upon that Peters did this almost as a favor to Sondheim when they were scrambling to sign up someone for the role.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#20Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 3:01pm

I heard from a few of the original CATS that Buckley's behavoir during the run (esp. after the TONY) was rather erratic and unprofessional. For example; she would arrive at the theatre later than half-hour (much later), the understudy would be already dressed in Grisabella drag and Miss B. would demand to do the show.

A girl can get a bad rap for that.

Updated On: 7/2/12 at 03:01 PM

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#21Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 4:07pm

The makeup artist for Ms. Buckley during that run must have been a miracle worker because that amount of detail that goes into painting every character for that show is astoundingly time consuming when done correctly.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#22Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 6:12pm

An elderly original cast member of My Fair Lady told me many years ago that Rex Harrison would also often show up right before curtain, and would then do the first scene in whatever he happened to be wearing that day. Hilarious.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#23Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 8:00pm

the understudy would be already dressed in Grisabella drag and Miss B. would demand to do the show

That's so very SMASH of her, and people call that show unrealistic... Love fascinating backstage stories Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#24Why didn't Betty Buckley do Into the Woods on Bway?
Posted: 7/2/12 at 9:36pm

I had a friend in CATS for 2.5 years in NY. She was one of the original understudies then took over a role. She said when they first started applying the makeup, it took about 90 minutes to do it.

They very quickly got that time down to about 20 minutes, and most of the cast (not all) applied their own makeup using a diagram with photos as guides.

As for Buckley, she had a similar issue with punctuality (among other things) with Drood. She would show up right at 8:00 or wait for someone to come and fetch her, and she was in the opening number (There You Are).

Not so cool.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22