pixeltracker

Missouri's Amendment 2 - "The Right to Pray"

Missouri's Amendment 2 - "The Right to Pray"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1Missouri's Amendment 2 - "The Right to Pray"
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:06pm

The state of Missouri will vote Tuesday, on a proposed amendment to the state constitution with the expressed purpose of ‘protecting their right to prayer.’ It is expected to pass easily in that state, where 80% of the population identifies as Christian. The rationale for the bill is , incredibly, that religious rights are under attack.

Missouri's Amendment 2 -

Last May, [State Rep. Mike McGhee, Republican] told the Post-Dispatch that if the measure passes it would “send a message” that “it’s OK to read a Bible in study hall” or “to pray briefly before a City Council meeting.”

McGhee’s pastor, the Rev. Terry Hodges of First Baptist Church in Odessa, said he had spoken with McGhee through the years about the legislation. He said that if Amendment 2 passes, it will “level the playing field.”

Hodges said Christians “enjoyed home-field advantage” for the country’s first 150 years. “That’s changed, and now there’s a hostility toward Christians,” he said.

Missouri’s ‘Amendment 2? Right To Pray Or Right To Prey? Updated On: 8/6/12 at 02:06 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:18pm

Has anyone ever told a kid they couldn't read the bible in study hall? Certainly not on any legal grounds.

I also didn't know people were denied praying whenever and wherver they wanted. Nor that they weren't able to bring their beliefs into a discussion.

The only issue about religion and public schools is that a school cannot teach ONE branch or force anyone to pray.

And the last line is really the problem: they no longer "have home field advantage". IN WHAT???????

HOW, in 2012, can we be further away from tolerance and mutual respect than we were 50 years ago?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:19pm

This is a Republican-led state, so all they are required to do is fight Obamacare, abortion, birth control and gay people, as well as reaffirm the right to pray that was never in question. This is about FREEDOM OF RELIGION, dramammama! They are under attack!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:21pm

...I don't understand. These are rights people already possess.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#5Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:22pm

That's what American is, though. We vote against rights people already don't have, and we vote to reaffirm the rights that were never in question.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#6Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:24pm

I'd like to be there when a Muslim first tries to pray before a city council meeting.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:26pm

Muslims don't pray.

They secretly contact al Qaeda with their MINDS.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#8Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:26pm

Are you sick and tired of all these so called "Americans" telling you what you can and can't do? Do you check your emails every morning to make sure you still have access to them? Do you call your friends just to make sure that the government hasn't restricted your phone access? Then vote YES on New York's Amendment 4 - The Right To Use Your Phone And Check Your Email WHENEVER YOU WANT.

#9Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:33pm

When I was in High School (MANY years ago) Prayer in School was a hot button issue. And a School Board member talked to me about heading up a student effort to affirm an inalienable right to pray in schools- in class, in student clubs, before games (and specifically), at graduation. I replied I was VERY glad to do it and in fact, I would be VERY honored to lead the first sacrifice to Bahomet, the Goat-headed God, at graduation that spring. And if he didn't think my graduating class wouldn't come together in support of that cause, he had another thing coming. The idea was quietly dropped.

Jordan Catalano
#10Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:35pm

In all seriouslyness (because I don't know the answer), do these Amendments cover "every" type of prayer?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#11Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:40pm

They do, at least I think they do, in theory, but like Reg, I can't wait to see it in practice.

Anyone want to road trip to the Midwest and have a pray-in to Xenu or Allah with me?

#12Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:41pm

That what the thing says- you cannot infringe upon the right to pray to "Almighty God." I can't see how you could draft a law that signified a specific God.

Jordan Catalano
#13Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:41pm

How about we just pray to a giant dildo?

Roscoe
#14Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:42pm

This is incredibly dangerous. Is it too alarmist of me to see this as the first step toward the all-out Christian Theocracy the GOP wants to turn this country into?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

#15Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:43pm

I like THAT idea! We roll out the giant phallus and bend over saying "OH, GOD!! OH God!!"

Jordan Catalano
#16Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 2:45pm

And then tell Missouri voters - "Hey, YOU voted on my right to do this!!!"

Wildcard
#17Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 3:14pm

I'm sure this amendment will only be valid if you're christian. If you're of any other religion, you won't be given the same rights to pray.

Oh where was this amendment when I was in school? "I'm sorry teacher, I didn't do my assignment because my god He-Man was on television"

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#18Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 4:39pm

So, republitards don't want government running their lives, but they want to make a law that says people can do what they already can do?

God, that party is getting dumber by the second.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#19Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 4:57pm

I'm pretty sure I legally prayed to the porcelain god in Missouri.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#20Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 5:07pm

In, uh... unrelated news?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/06/us/missouri-mosque-burned/index.html

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#21Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 5:16pm

Good lord grief.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#22Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 5:20pm

I didn't used to be hostile to Christians, but I'm getting there.

I think the most dangerous part is the right to opt out of any assignment that violates one's "religion". That will basically allow college students to opt out of theater history, biology, archeology and most English lit classes altogether.

When did ignorance become a constitutional right? Updated On: 8/6/12 at 05:20 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#23Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 5:22pm

As a friend of mine just said, "Looks like they're going to have to start praying in public now that they don't have a mosque to do it in."

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#24Missouri's Amendment 2 -
Posted: 8/6/12 at 8:43pm

Missouri's Amendment 2 -

Here is a picture of a real swell 'Christian' who came after me on Facebook, on a friends page, regarding Chick-Fil-a.

She posted things that sounded like a person talking to a three year old and tried to pass herself off as nice, but one of her first comments to me was that she wasn't going to call me a child molester, just because I'm gay.

She thought me calling her 'blonde' was name calling. Uhm, she IS blonde,

They can get all dressed up pretty, but they are hateful skags.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2