pixeltracker

2012 Broadway Flea Market Thread- Page 2

2012 Broadway Flea Market Thread

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#252012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/18/12 at 9:17pm

OMG! Its this weekend! This is my first trip, so excited, but I have a few questions for the pros. What's the bes time to get in the autograph/photo line and where is it usually located? Also, where are the live bidding items when the online biddig is over? How doesit work?

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#262012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/18/12 at 9:26pm

The autograph/photo booth is located over by Juniors. You usually just need to get in line around the time you want to go through.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

BroadwayFan12
#282012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/18/12 at 11:43pm

Does anyone know why Alice Ripley isn't officially listed as one of the stars? She announced on her facebook that she'll be at the autograph table.

Rainbowhigh23
#292012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/19/12 at 12:05am

"SEE YOU AT THE FLEA MARKET!" Can't wait to see the crowd waiting for her.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#302012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/19/12 at 12:10am

They could be waiting to update the list with more people. I don't know when Alice Ripley said she was going to be there though.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

grumpyoptimist
#312012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/19/12 at 2:52am

Philly, last year they had the live auction stage set up in the middle of Times Square over near where the ESPN Zone used to be. If they do it like last year, they will post a schedule of when things will go off, both for the "silent" and live auctions. The "silent" auction items are put on or in front of the stage as their lot goes up, then the whole stage is reset in 30min when the next lot comes up. I put silent in quotation marks because unlike most silent auctions, they announce the highest bid and invite the audience to beat it, so in essence every silent auction item becomes a fast live auction item. Kinda defeats the spirit of a silent auction. They will start the bidding wherever the online bidding left off. They keep things moving at a pretty decent clip so time your potty/snack breaks accordingly...

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#322012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/19/12 at 1:32pm

For the autograph/picture booth, do you have to buy the autographs to get the pictures? Wanted to get a picture with Bernadette. :)

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#332012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/19/12 at 1:38pm

^ Lines are separate. I think if you do the autograph line though and they have someone you want at the photo booth, you tell a volunteer working there and they'll hold your place in line.

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#342012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/19/12 at 1:51pm

The guy who usually runs the photo line is fantastic- pretty much if you tell him who you want a picture with or even a combo, he can usually make it happen if the price is right.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#352012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/19/12 at 5:24pm

Do you think if I payed the $10 for a picture with Donna Murphy and then another $20 for Bernadette, would they sign something too?

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#362012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/19/12 at 6:26pm

Here is the little primer I try to post every year. The prices differ per item and per table. There is no standard price. You're just as likely to find something for a quarter as you are for a hundred dollars, depending on the item. The prices also tend to go down as the day wears on and by the end, tables may be giving freebies.

FAQs:

--How does the celebrity autograph line/photo booth work?
The celebs rotate each hour. For the autograph line, you pay $30 each time you go down the line and you can get each celeb to sign up to two items. You can bring items of your own or, if you don't have anything, they have pieces of paper/cardboard next to them that they can sign. As previously mentioned, there is also a flea market poster that can be purchased. There is a separate line for the photo booth where a BC/EFA volunteer will be asking who from that hour you want your photo with. Not every star from every hour will be in the photo booth. They do it based on popularity and sometimes based on the schedule of the stars. If you are really desperate for someone and/or a group/pairing, try offering more than the asking amount and they may be able to make it happen. Remember, it's all about raising money for a good cause. There is no guarantee the person you want will be asked to do the photo booth or, if they do, that they will necessarily get to you. Depending on the popularity of the guest and their time constraints, there is a chance you won't get the photo you are looking for. You do not pay until you get to the front of the line.

--Can I take a photo with a person at the autograph table?
No. You may see people walking around or volunteering at a table and some people do ask then but try to remember that it's customary to give a donation in return.

--Can I get an autograph at the photo booth?
Depends on the star, the mood, the line, the item, etc. I have done it before and given an extra donation.

--What if I'm in the autograph line and someone I want a photo with someone who is in the booth then?
Call over a volunteer and they will hold your spot in the autograph line. If you are in the autograph line and the person you wanted is in the photo booth, let them know and they will let you wait until they return to get your merchandise signed.

--Do they take credit cards?
Yes. You can purchase an item, they will hold it for you, and there are CC kiosks set up. Pay for your item at the kiosk, bring the receipt back to the booth and the item is yours. They also have ATMs.

--What happens if it rains?
If the forecast is looking particularly gloomy, alternate plans or a rain date may be announced. Fingers crossed for glorious sunshine but check the website leading up things look questionable.

--How much money should I bring?
Entirely up to you. As a general rule of thumb for theatre lovers, you'll probably spend all you bring so stay within your means.

--What do they sell?
Some shows stick to their own merchandise. Some sell items donated by cast members. Some sell strictly signed stuff. There is a very popular booth that sells playbills from every era, organized alphabetically by decade and individually plastic wrapped. If your favorite show does not have its own booth, it doesn't mean merch won't be represented elsewhere. One of the great joys of the flea market is those one a kind rare finds that may suddenly hit you when you're sorting through a pile.

--What time should I get there?
The crowds get bigger as the day goes on and then get rapidly thinner as the big auctions end. Especially if the weather is nice, expect huge amounts of people. Expect having to wait to wade through stuff. Expect that if you see a gem of an item and hold off on it, it will be gone the next time you come around. Expect an amazing time.

--Can I bring my dog?
As it's outdoors, they are allowed but, again, it's super crowded so if your dog is skittish or small enough to be stepped on, be forewarned.

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#372012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 1:31pm

Thanks for the info DivaBrigader! This year is my first time going and I need all the info I can get lol.

ArtMan
#382012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 1:56pm

Not able to come up for the flea market. Will be in NYC, first weekend in November. Where does the merchandise (Like t shirts, mugs, cds) go that is not sold? I would think maybe the thrift stores as a donation. If true, which ones are more popular, for the merchandise?

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#392012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 7:50pm

another question: It says not ALL the celeberties might take pictutres, do you think Bernadette will?
also: can you take pictures of the people at the tables??? just not be in them?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#402012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 7:54pm

It's an outside event - you can take pictures of anything you want to. I'm sure Bernadette will do the photo booth. I think she's done it every year she's done that table.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#412012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 9:18pm

Are they very strict with the 2 item limit? I wanted Donna Murphy to sign 3 things: 2 for me and 1 for a friend. :)

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#422012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 9:36pm

Sorry for lots of questions but:
For the photo booth, do you take the pictures with your camera or does someone else take them then give them to you somehow.

Rainbowhigh23
#432012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 9:39pm

I really look forward to Alice Ripley, if she actually is actually going to be in the photo booth or the autograph table.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#442012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 9:52pm

Alice tweeted me saying she is a "surprise guest" at 12... do they have surprise guests for every table?

DivaBrigader
#452012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 11:09pm

If you have a camera, they have volunteers there to take your photo. If you don't, they do have the option to take a photo on their Polaroid - unless they have gotten rid of that in recent years. Does anybody know for sure? I know Polaroids are like impossible to get film for these days. They also sometimes give you a cardboard frame to put the pic in and the celeb signs them.

They have surprise guests whenever people show up to be surprise guests.

As stated above, who appears in the photo booth is based on popular demand. I can guarantee that Bernadette will have many, many requests. If for some reason she is unable to do the photo booth, she will only do the autograph line, but barring unforeseen circumstances, she has always done the photo booth in all the years she has been there.

If you want more than two items signed, offer them extra money and see what they said. It's all about the Benjamins. It never hurts to ask.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#462012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 11:21pm

Since you're an authority, I wanted to pose this again, to you. How early should u get in the autograph lines? Like is 10:30 too late for the 11 o'clock hour? And once you're in line are u in for all sessions and pay each time?

Rainbowhigh23
#472012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/20/12 at 11:33pm

gstrus2, I saw her reply to your tweet! Guess I'll be there early and be looking out for her by 12.

DivaBrigader
#482012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/21/12 at 8:55am

I try to share my flea market tips and advice whenever I can because it's my favorite day of the year and I want everyone else to love their experience. I hope my posts have been helpful. I myself have not done the autograph line in several years but you have to line up for each line separately. So if you get in line at 10:30am for the 11am line and then want to go to the noon line also, you have to get in line again, and pay again. I would think half an hour early is sufficient, especially since after the first hour, they are essentially maintaining the line for the present session before lining up for the next one.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#492012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/21/12 at 8:59am

Now taking into consideration all the stars scheduled for the 2:00 table, would it be smart to get in line like at 1:00?