pixeltracker

"Here's Love" vs. "Miracle on 34th St" Musical?

"Here's Love" vs. "Miracle on 34th St" Musical?

Phantom487
#1"Here's Love" vs. "Miracle on 34th St" Musical?
Posted: 9/5/12 at 12:35pm

Is "Here's Love" that same as the show MTI licenses under the title "Miracle on 34th Street The Musical"??

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#2Re: "Here's Love" vs. "Miracle on 34th St" Musical?
Posted: 9/5/12 at 1:31pm

In a word: "yes."

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

North2009 Profile Photo
North2009
#2Re: Here's Love
Posted: 9/6/12 at 7:34am

Any changes to libretto or score?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#3Re: Here's Love
Posted: 9/6/12 at 7:45am

Judging by the synopsis at MTI's website compared with the extant song list for Here's Love, it appears to be the same show with a more marketable title (presumably MTI worked out a deal with Fox?). Never having had experience with the show myself, however, I wouldn't presume to base your info simply on what I've told you. Do the research.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

North2009 Profile Photo
North2009
#4Re: Here's Love
Posted: 9/6/12 at 8:29am

From what I can gather after only 1 cup of coffee is that there are two versions floating around out there and if you have the knowledge you also have a choice. Version one is the original version as seen on broadway, version two is a major rewrite produced by the Goodspeed Opera House (opening number cut, ballets cut, a few numbers cut and show reset to year of film). When I get a copy of the revised version I will send on info.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#5Re: Here's Love
Posted: 9/6/12 at 8:30am

Yes, it is the exact same show with a different title. It was published under the title IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS before they changed it again.

EDIT: I did not know about the revised version, but that is not available from MTI for licensing. The one you get from MTI when you license the show is the original HERE'S LOVE. 14 minute dream ballet and all.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 9/6/12 at 08:30 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#6Re: Here's Love
Posted: 9/6/12 at 8:52am

The main problem with the show is the story turning on a court case. Unlike, say, DOLLY and even THE PRODUCERS, which feature 11th hour appearances before judges, HERE'S LOVE has to burn through a lot of plot centered about legal action. It just doesn't sing as second act material. Too bad, because the source material has emotional underpinnings to make it wonderful.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#7Re: Here's Love
Posted: 9/7/12 at 7:40pm

Without the ballets, there's barely a show there. I saw a very good community production put on largely by a dance school, and that was really all I remembered about it--to say the show is pleasant but slight is putting it mildly. I assume Michael Kidd's choreography and the dance ensemble (including Michael Bennett and many of his future friends like Lee) was the highliught of the original as well. Oddly, the original director was Norman Jewison of all people, but he was booted out of town--before he was a celebrated film director.

(Oh I also remember finding it neat that they used the earlier Wilson song, It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas in it).