pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 110

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2725Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/4/14 at 7:08pm

From the EW interview with Rob Marshall, he said that the crew went back to shoot new material that was previously cut by Dinsey because of recent screenings. So it maybe possible that they shot "I Know Things Now" and "Giants in the Sky" to be put back in the movie.

Man, I wish the same thing happened with NINE, but nope, they decide to just cut down things. I'm looking at you "Only With You"!

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#2726Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 2:13am

But the lyric's of the Witch's Lament, "This is the world I meant, couldn't you listen? Couldn't you stay content, safe behind walls, as I could not?" makes no sense with Rapunzel's new "end"! The world didn't do anything to mess her up, it was the Witch! Unless...the Giant coming and scaring Rapunzel is the world making her upset and bringing about her "end".

Meryl Streep as the ugly Witch really should have a (well done, non-over-the-top, non-fake-looking) scarier, witchier nose and chin because she doesn't just want to be beautiful again. Her other reason was so that Rapunzel would not be turned off by her looks, "ashamed of" her looks as the Witch says.

By the way, I was wondering what everyone thought of this: In the original "Last Midnight" the Witch sings, "You're so nice. You're not good, you're not bad, you're just nice. I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right. I'm the Witch, you're the world. I'm the hitch, I'm what no one believes, I'm the Witch, you're all liars and thieves like his father. Like his son will be, too, oh, why bother, you'll just do what you do." The revivals changed it to the Witch taking the baby singing, "You're so pure. But stay here and in time you'll mature. And grow up to be them, so let's fly, you and I, far away. I'm the hitch, I'm what no one believes, I'm the Witch, they're all liars and thieves like your father, just like you will be, too, oh, why bother, they'll just do as they do."

I really don't like the Witch taking the baby and the little "I'm gonna take him - oh nevermind!" false shock value there, and why would she think he would grow up to be like them in her care if Rapunzel didn't turn out like them in her care? And I really hate how the new lyrics aren't as good as the old ones which have more meaning: the whole "Nice isn't the same as good" message the play has. I do however like the 2002 revival's new lyrics of "I'm leaving you my last curse. I'm leaving you alone, squirming in the mess that you made. Fix it on your own, time for me to go I'm afraid" instead of the original's "you can tend the garden, it's yours", because, why would they ever care to tend her garden? I hope the movie's "Last Midnight" is more like the original one.

So...what do you think?

Updated On: 9/7/14 at 02:13 AM

jimmycurry01
#2727Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 11:39am

Tending the garden is a metaphor. She isn't literally talking about tending her garden.

AnthonyB Profile Photo
AnthonyB
#2728Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 11:54am

Thank you jimmycurry01. I was gonna explain the same thing

Mrtrobz
#2729Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 1:06pm

As far as I know the majority of Lament is cut as it leads into the new song the "This is the world..." Introduction lyrics are cut. The scene plays out with:

No matter what you say,
Children won't listen.
No matter what you know,
Children refuse
To learn.

Guide them along the way,
Still they won't listen.
Children can only grow
From something you love
To something you lose...

Then it was supposed to lead into a new song but now that is omitted.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#2730Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 1:11pm

I'm still holding hope out that Rapunzel will die after all!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Mrtrobz
#2731Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 1:17pm

Her ending still is tragic if the information from the screenings are correct. She's doomed to stay in a terrible marriage with a cheating spouse.

Musical Master
#2732Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 1:28pm

^Which is something that's more tragic and heartbreaking than being killed by the Giant. The dramatic purpose of the "Witch's Lament" is intact, nothing has been lost.

Since the new song has been cut, there might be a chance that the full version of "Lament" could be used. Updated On: 9/7/14 at 01:28 PM

Hex3 Profile Photo
Hex3
#2733Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 4:34pm

Remember, though, that it's never revealed in the screenplay that Rapunzel's Prince has ever been unfaithful. We never hear Agony's reprise in the film. Or am I forgetting something? Can some one "in the know" explain this?

MagicalMusical
#2734Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 11:02pm

Oh, I forgot to say the original "Last Midnight" lyrics also expand on the Witch’s character more in that (maybe?) she doesn’t believe there needs to be a good or bad, just a (morally?) correct way to do things, and she chooses that way.

If she doesn't literally mean to tend her garden...what does she actually mean? You mean she doesn't really care about the garden, she's just kidding? Or there's an actual other meaning?

I must admit if Rapunzel is in a terrible marriage with a cheating spouse, then indeed the world has done a horrible thing to her and so "This is the world I meant" does make sense. But I did hear that Rapunzel's Prince doesn't cheat, and Rapunzel chooses to leave him, so it's still the Witch who messed up Rapunzel, not the world.

And her being in a terrible marriage with a cheating spouse doesn't hold the same dramatic weight as death!!! So, no, it still doesn't give the "Witch's Lament" the same power.

Updated On: 9/10/14 at 11:02 PM

Musical Master
#2735Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/7/14 at 11:32pm

I don't know. Rapunzel's Prince could STILL end up cheating on Rapunzel because that script was written before shooting began, so James Lapine could've brought that back despite the "Agony" reprise being cut.

Plus, if after all that she went through, Rapunzel still leaves with the Prince despite the stunts he's pulled due to her now messed up mind is STILL rather tragic, in death at least she won't deal with her Prince, the Witch, and herself so I'm afraid I don't agree with you about this element being not as tragic as it was in the stage show.

Updated On: 9/7/14 at 11:32 PM

jimmycurry01
#2736Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/8/14 at 11:52am

MagicalMusical, gardening is usually a metaphor for life. When she says. "You can tend the garden, it's yours. Separate and alone..." It is pretty much the same as saying, "I'm leaving you alone, squirming in the mess that you made." The witch is taking no responsibility for the situation and leaving them to fix their lives by themselves. Essentially, Sondheim chose to dumb down the lyric by removing the metaphor and spelling it out more plainly.

The garden metaphor is a big deal for the witch. Twice in the play we learn that something has happened to it. Once something is stolen from it, and in turn her beauty is stolen from her. Later her garden is crushed by the giant, and in turn her daughter is crushed by the giant. This isn't a coincidence. It is well thought out, and still the metaphor runs a bit deeper for that character and her life, and life in general in the play.

Larcen26 Profile Photo
Larcen26
#2737Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/8/14 at 12:03pm

"If she doesn't literally mean to tend her garden...what does she actually mean? You mean she doesn't really care about the garden, she's just kidding? Or there's an actual other meaning?"

She DOES mean to tend her literal garden...but there is also the double meaning of "You made your bed, now lie in it."

"And her being in a terrible marriage with a cheating spouse doesn't not hold the same dramatic weight as death!!! So, no, it still doesn't give the "Witch's Lament" the same power."

I disagree on this...because if Rapunzel dies, The Witch can default to her sentiment at the beginning of the Lament..."See! I told you! If you had just stayed in a tiny room with no company at the top of a tower where only I could ever see you You would still be alive!!!!"
And as others have said, there is no evidence that her prince cheats.

But if Rapunzel lives, the Witch's argument dissolves. All of a sudden all she is is an abusive helicopter parent smothering her child for no good reason.
So in this version...Rapunzel may not be as tragic of a character...but The Witch becomes MORE tragic.

Everybody thinks of Rapunzel as a poor girl who was raised by an abusive mother which led to her insanity and death...but The Witch doesn't see it that way. She sees herself as 100% right...but if Rapunzel goes on to live...without her Mother. That Happiness was actually within Rapunzel's grasp, but her mother tore it out of her hands at every turn. And now The Witch, with no power to change it, must live with that knowledge. That her daughter is not only FINE without her...but is actually BETTER OFF...is a tragedy that is far worse than death.

It's just not Rapunzel's tragedy...it's the Witch's.

One of the few minor flaws in the original is that ultimately, The Witch is the only major character that doesn't "Learn Something" from being in the woods.

With this ending, she finally does.

Baritone in search of a role in a new musical...
Updated On: 9/8/14 at 12:03 PM

Musical Master
#2738Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/8/14 at 2:56pm

I agree Larcen, it actually plays better if the Witch was WRONG when it comes to Rapunzel, I'm glad that Lapine changed that element of her story. I guess it fits the leaked script by cutting the "This is the world I ment" part of the "Lament" maybe the lyric "Couldn't you stay content?" could still work in the film.

Showface
#2739Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/9/14 at 5:02pm

Excellent points! According to the leaked "Lament" audio, the scene goes like this:

Witch: RAPUNZEL! NO!

Rapunzel: you don't understand...I never want to see you again...ever!

Witch: "No metter what you say..."

Im more interested in learning about the concept of the wolf. Why do some hate it? Why do some love it! Is it the same as in the script from February.

Musical Master
#2740Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/9/14 at 7:27pm

Wait... What audio?

Showface
#2741Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/9/14 at 8:07pm

It was leaked months ago. . .
Since you missed it. . . Meryl sounds GREAT!!

Musical Master
#2742Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/9/14 at 8:11pm

Oh...My....God... Meryl was SO GOOD! I can't wait for her more than ever! Into the Woods Movie Cast

Musical Master
#2743Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/9/14 at 8:12pm

Double Post Updated On: 9/9/14 at 08:12 PM

Showface
#2744Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/9/14 at 8:28pm

She sounded great. Also, she was singing in the ORIGINAL KEY (that's coming from my totally untrained ears)/ So, I know there was a debate about that, but there it is. I wonder if her other songs are in the original key. If not, it's fine, the low keys still work.

Musical Master
#2745Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/9/14 at 11:37pm

I think she has the ability to pull of high notes. After all she did sing the final part of "Sodomy" from HAIR at a benefit one time not to long ago.

Mrtrobz
#2746Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/9/14 at 11:50pm

Meryl can hit the higher notes well here is a good example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pupd_Z7JmpA

Musical Master
#2747Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/10/14 at 12:02am

WOW! That's amazing, I know she can sing high notes, but I didn't expect that one! Into the Woods Movie Cast

MagicalMusical
#2748Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/10/14 at 7:06pm

Thanks for the explaining guys. I guess "the garden" for that metaphor is the mess everyone made. I still feel Rapunzel's death is the only thing that would hold the same dramatic weight and it doesn't fit the lyrics any other way. "No matter what you do, children refuse...to learn." Learn what? If Rapunzel ran to her death, she didn't learn, but if she runs away to a better life, she did learn! She still has to have a tragic end to "refuse to learn." The Witch still must be right this time.

And what did you mean by "Rapunzel still leaves with the Prince despite the stunts he's pulled." If he doesn't go looking for another girl, what stunts did he pull?

Updated On: 9/10/14 at 07:06 PM

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#2749Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/10/14 at 7:20pm

"Which is something that's more tragic and heartbreaking than being killed by the Giant."

I would highly disagree with that. Watching your child ride off into the sunset with a handsome prince is not the same as seeing your child's dead and broken body in the center of a giant's footprint. Watching your child die right in front of your eyes is something every parent fears. Nothing could be worse than that. But I digress...

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!