So, how do you get comped?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#1So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/18/12 at 10:04pm

Reading another thread on the board, How many shows have you seen, leads me to the question, how do you get comped? Do you have to be in the business? I am a member of TheaterMania Gold, so I do see things for free ($4.50) occasionally.

Updated On: 12/19/12 at 10:04 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#2So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/18/12 at 10:22pm

The times that I got comped it was because I knew somebody working on the show, or I myself had provided some sort of service for the show, or someone hated my guts which had to be the case when I was given Comps for BKL'N!!!!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#2So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/18/12 at 10:39pm

Be in the business or have friends in the business.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/18/12 at 10:42pm

I know there are a few sites that distribute comps with membership. Audience Extras and Theater Extras are two off the top of my head. I don't really know anything about them.

Otherwise, yeah, you need to be involved with the business or know folks who are.

Comp tickets are the best.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#4So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/18/12 at 11:03pm

You gotta know someone. Or f*ck someone.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#5So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/18/12 at 11:13pm

^Or, the best option, f*cking know someone.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#6So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/18/12 at 11:13pm

yeah I agree...sleep around with glee and you see shows for free!! So, how do you get comped?

AEA AGMA SM
#7So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/19/12 at 12:11am

Or be friends with a Tony voter

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/19/12 at 12:19am

Smile and say thank you and be enthusiastic afterward.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/19/12 at 1:56am

If Sondheim asks you to join him for dinner afterward, don't make awkward conversation about any topic other than his show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#10So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/19/12 at 1:56am

If Sondheim asks you to join him for dinner afterward, don't make awkward conversation about any topic other than his show.

aaronb
#11So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/19/12 at 2:48am

I have a blog--so most shows I review are comped.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#12So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/19/12 at 2:57am

I have a blagh and I still suggest knee pads.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/19/12 at 10:24am

The "business" also includes people in ticketing and hotel services. I het to see a lot of shows with a friend who works at a hotel.

Just give the world Love.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#14So, how do you get comped?
Posted: 12/19/12 at 11:23am

Don't forget about press people either. They always get two tickets. I had a friend who wrote theatre reviews online and I went to stuff with him for years.