pixeltracker

Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?

Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#1Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/24/12 at 12:49pm

I was just watching the 90's remake and was thinking it could make a nice musical, perhaps with a score by Ahrens and Flaherty? How about Laura Benanti for Doris?

iluvtheatertrash
#2Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/24/12 at 12:53pm

It already exists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here's_Love

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#2Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/24/12 at 12:56pm

Here's Love is not a great musical, though there are a few nice songs. A new version wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea though. Updated On: 12/24/12 at 12:56 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#5Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/24/12 at 2:48pm

Musical remakes (strictly or loosely) include Kiss Me Kate and Shrew; Your Own Thing, Music Is, and Illyria; Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell; The Boys From Syracuse and Oh Brother; The Wild Party and The Wild Party (simultaneously, not really remakes), Phantom of the Opera and Phantom of the Opera, The Happiest Girl in the World and Lysistrata Jones and many examples in opera

Updated On: 12/24/12 at 02:48 PM

bwayfan4ever2
#6Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/24/12 at 3:35pm

Been around for years.
http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000042

Playing at WBT now and I'm sure at many other theaters across the country. http://www.broadwaytheatre.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Miracle%20On%2034th%20Street&category=shows

booth0882 Profile Photo
booth0882
#7Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/24/12 at 3:38pm

Troupe America took a production of Miracle on 34th Street to Modesto California for a run this month.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#8Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/25/12 at 9:52pm

In regards to a musical remake having been done before, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES was morphed into LORELEI. Not an improvement. And then there's the whole GOLD/BOUNCE/ROAD SHOW evolution. I would indeed consider the last two as remakes. At least MERRILY has retained the same title regardless.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....
Updated On: 12/25/12 at 09:52 PM

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#10Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/25/12 at 10:42pm

Then we're talking about THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE and OH, BROTHER! (THE COMEDY OF ERRORS).
Things get stickier when we get into the field of non-public domain material.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....
Updated On: 12/25/12 at 10:42 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#11Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/26/12 at 12:28am

The film "It's A Wonderful Life" slips in and out of the public domain due to copyright issues on various portions of the artistic property. Hence, we have "A Wonderful Life" by Raposo and Harnick, retroactively titled "It's A Wonderful Life," as well as I believe two other musicals of "It's A Wonderful Life," one by Kathy Lee Gifford.

I have often wondered if the retroactive title change on the original Harnick-Raposo version was because people didn't get that it was "It's A Wonderful Life: The Musical," or to ensure that the show has at least a fighting chance of being produced ahead of the two less-pedigreed "It's A Wonderful Life" adaptations.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#12Miracle On 34th Street as a musical?
Posted: 12/26/12 at 8:21am

Not to mention, "It's a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play" currently at Bucks County Playhouse.