pixeltracker

10 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching "Glee"- Page 4

10 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching "Glee"

wonkit
#7510 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/8/13 at 8:23pm

"One of the greatest television shows of all time."

Ok, you are entitled to that opinion but not until you have watched MASH, All in the Family, Hill Street Blues, The West Wing, Studio 90, Cheers (first two seasons), and Hallmark Hall of Fame.

GLEE caught a wave. Then it jumped a shark. Now it has to go away.

#7610 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/8/13 at 8:30pm

Studio 90? really? I guess it's a good watch for those obsessed with Men's soccer but I would NOT rate it an all-time great.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#7710 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/8/13 at 9:10pm

Good thing it was called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip... Also it sucked.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

wonkit
#7810 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/8/13 at 9:38pm

Studio 90 during the 1950's produced more original plays on TV than any other program. The connection to men's soccer escapes me.

#7910 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/8/13 at 10:31pm

Studio 90 is a soccer highlights show. Studio 60 (on the Sunset Strip) was a very mediocre mid-90's tv series that lasted a very brief time (Was Kristen Chenoweth on it?). The anthology show featuring made-for-tv dramas in the 50's was called Playhouse 90.

Updated On: 3/8/13 at 10:31 PM

wonkit
#8010 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:00pm

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was a 90 in there somewhere.

AEA AGMA SM
#8110 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 12:15am

You're aging Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip just a bit there, Joe. It was mid-2000s, premiering right around the same time as 30 Rock. Tina even managed to get a dig in to Aaron Sorkin when he appeared on 30 Rock about which show lasted longer (since both had a similar theme, though different tone). What was interesting was that though Studio 60 had better ratings than 30 Rock during their first seasons it was the one to get cancelled because it was more expensive to produce, while 30 Rock managed to get in seven seasons.

And Chenoweth was not in the show, but Sarah Paulson's character was supposedly based on her.

amoni2 Profile Photo
amoni2
#8210 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 11:16am

"GLEE caught a wave. Then it jumped a shark. Now it has to go away."

Has to go away? Why? Please, please please tell me you have the balls to admit you're ego is so out of control you think if there's something you don't like, it has no reason to exist.

"It will NOT "go down" as one of the finest TV shows ever. How, in any way, can this show be compared to: All in the Family, Maude, Seinfeld, SMASH, Soap or any other dozens of truly groundbreaking shows."

You're joking right? Tell you meant "M*A*S*H". The only thing "SMASH" is changing in people's lives is the channel. Whether you like it or not, "Glee" has changed lives and television. Two gay guys singing a romantic love song to each other? That is groundbreaking. Ask any cast member how many times a day someone tells them how the show has influenced their lives. The soundtrack has sold millions of songs, including show tunes, introducing younger generations to Broadway. Chris Colfer was voted one of Time Magazine's 100 most Influential People.

In four years it has won Emmys, Golden Globes, People Choice Awards, Screen Actors Guild Award, Teen Choice Awards, GLAAD Media Awards, Peabody Award, TV Choice Award, TV Land Award and more.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8310 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 11:21am

Oops....yes I most certainly DID mean MASH! (Oy, what an awful mistake for me to make!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#8410 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 12:30pm

amoni2 - GLEE has changed lives, really.GLEE was a very good show the first year and I like many others enjoyed it. It went downhill the 2nd year and never recovered IMO. To put this show in the same category as great shows that were mentioned (MASH, Seinfeld, All In The Family etc)is doing a major disservice to these great shows.

GLEE has been on only four years and already the ratings are slipping. Get back to me if GLEE is still aound in 8-9 years. As for those awards you mentioned, how many were won the first year? I am sorry but two gay characters singing a love song to each other is not groundbreaking TV to me. TV has been way behind movies and theatre for being groundbreaking in regards to gay or lesbian characters.Finally, while SMASH will never be as popular as GLEE, it has much better singers and dancers than GLEE IMO. SMASH also has original music and GLEE justs trots out remakes of popular music so it is easier for GLEE to get a bigger audience.

Updated On: 3/9/13 at 12:30 PM

Gothampc
#8510 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 2:29pm

I think Wonkit is referring to Studio One which won several Emmy awards for their television work.
Link

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#8610 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 2:55pm

I sorta liked Studio 60 (*much* more than Sorkin's current Newsroom, anyway), but it really was a case similar to Smash where NBC had an expensive, high profile series, with a pilot that critics loved, and the show basically crashed and burned but the network was too embarassed to drop it mid season and quietly canceled it at the end (at least, that's what I assume they will do with Smash.) In both cases I was glad they ran it anyway, but...

For the record, despite (or maybe because of) the fact that I agree about many of the complaints this season--the Saved By The Bell: The New Class cookie cutter new characters being based on older ones, the odd mix of the New York stuff, etc, I actually have been enjoying Glee more this season than last. Maybe it's simply that I've finally given up caring about the show and can just watch it and get what I can from it.

#8710 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 3:05pm

Sorry-indeed, S6OSS was a 21st century show. And indeed, the actual Kristen was absent but her presence was indeed felt.

Tina Fey's best line ever: Entering the Emmy Awards she asked "Have you seen Aaron Sorkin tonight? He's wearing the exact same dress as I am but it's twice as long and not nearly as funny."

EricMontreal22
#8810 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 3:09pm

^ Ha, I haven't heard that before--brilliant.

Gothampc
#8910 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 3:10pm

The Glee kids are lucky because other than Jane Lynch, nobody knew who any of these people were.

Whereas with Smash, American television has not been kind to Jack Davenport. I hope he comes out of this without a "box office poison" label because I think he's a good actor who just needs to get on a hit tv show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

EricMontreal22
#9010 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 3:32pm

I think he'll do fine--aside from McPhee, nobody seems to be placing any blame onthe actors for Smash. I've loved Jack Davenport since This Life (still one of my top UK series of all time) and Coupling, but I think he'll continue having a successful career in non headlining roles--like Pirates of the Caribbean--and do just fine.

amoni2 Profile Photo
amoni2
#9110 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 5:54pm

"GLEE has been on only four years and already the ratings are slipping. Get back to me if GLEE is still aound in 8-9 years. As for those awards you mentioned, how many were won the first year?"

Oh my sorry, I didn't see in The Groundbreaking TV Handbook where a show has to still be on the air a definite amount of time to be considered important. The point is that in 8 or 9 years from now whether "Glee" is still around or not, that two gay characters singing a love song won't be an anomaly, that damaged youth from bullying know they can heal and suicide is not the answer or the person who just doesn't feel like they fit in anywhere, can find a place.

And if you insist...

Just this year "Glee" was nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Won The People's Choice Awards Favorite TV Actor Comedy Chris Colfer
Won The People's Choice Award Favorite TV Actress Comedy Lea Michele
Won the Teen Choice Awards for Best Comedy
Won Best Comedy Actor Chris Colfer
Won Best Comedy Actress Lea Michele
And was nominated for other awards in various categories.

"Finally, while SMASH will never be as popular as GLEE, it has much better singers and dancers than GLEE IMO.

And this is a theater forum WHAT a surprise. There are also people here that don't believe life exists beyond W45th Street.

ghostlight2
#9210 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 6:23pm

"Pgenre is known for his mad writing skills."

Why did he stop posting here, or is he just under another name now? He used to post some of the craziest mean stuff. Did they take away his privileges?

"Tina Fey's best line ever: Entering the Emmy Awards she asked "Have you seen Aaron Sorkin tonight? He's wearing the exact same dress as I am but it's twice as long and not nearly as funny." "

That was a great line, Joe. I actually did like Studio 60, flaws and all. Didn't Sorkin actually make an appearance on Fey's show, mocking himself?

Topic? I've actually never seen a single episode of Glee.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#9310 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 6:55pm

I'm totally with you Amoni! Glee totally changed and still changes lifes. As an aspiring actor I've been beyond inspired by the characters of Chris and Lea, to the point were I couldn't stop crying when they didn't get into NYADA. I know it might seem silly to some of you and I don't expect to you to understand it but it got me through some dark times in my life.

Although many on here will argue otherwise, Glee has definitely introduced this young generation to Broadway. Many if not all of the limited musical theatre knowledge of today's youth has come from Glee.

Also while you will dig for and bring up examples of gay and lesbian moments in television, Glee was certainly revolutionary in that sense. I know people who were completely homophobic when they started watching Glee and now thanks to the series they see it as something normal and even suffer when Chris, Blaine and Santana have relotionship problems, the same way they would with a straight couple.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#9410 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 8:28pm

Can we remove Teen Choice Awards as evidence of the merit of this show or anything really? I mean, the winners include Twilight and Bieber, and the winners get surf boards

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#9510 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 9:09pm

^agreed

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#9610 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 9:15pm

Ghostlight, Pgenere is Pat Cerasaro the author of the article linked and BWW interviewer/reporter/blogger.

....but the world goes 'round

ghostlight2
#9710 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 9:27pm

Sorry, wasn't clear, tazber. I knew who he was, but he used to post on the board as we do, prolifically (and often rather nastily), and while I still see his byline, I haven't seen him post for some time, and was mildly curious as to why.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#9810 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/9/13 at 9:43pm

For the record, Buffy had two gay characters singing a love song to each other long before Glee did (and kissing, sleeping together, etc.). I'm glad that Glee is having an impact in terms of changing some peoples opinions that needed changing, and the more of that the better. I just wouldn't say it was the first to portray same-sex relationships as normal and healthy.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#9910 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 9:24am

amoni2- "For the record, Buffy had two gay characters singing a love song to each other long before Glee did (and kissing, sleeping together, etc"

Guess they defeats part of your arguement about groundbreaking.

"And this is a theater forum WHAT a surprise. There are also people here that don't believe life exists beyond W45th Street.

Wrong, people here can see and hear talent. I have been to many concerts and dance performances in my life that were not on Broadway. People on this forum don't believe Megan Hilty is a fantastic singer just because she has performed on Broadway, it is because she is just a excellent singer.