pixeltracker

10 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching "Glee"- Page 6

10 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching "Glee"

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#12510 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:41pm

Let's just clear up the ridiculousness of the Kurt/Vogue.com storyline. He was an intern yet he was very chummy with the fashion editor to the point where she was taking story ideas from him (Rachel's dumb makeover). NEVER would that happen. He was an intern yet he was the last one in the office (along with SJP) and turning the lights off. NEVER would that happen. SJP travels to Bushwick on Thanksgiving to go to her intern's apt. I think you get the gist.

All of that was so ludicrous that I couldn't even. And don't get me started on Let's Have a KiKi/Turkey Lurkey Time...

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12610 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:44pm

Glee hasn't just jumped the shark. It's stomped on the shark so much that now it's just a pile of shark guts, and Glee is now just prancing around with its shark gut-covered feet staining the carpet with shark juice.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#12710 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 1:02pm

all that jazz - I have two daughters in their twenties who majored in dance in college and were decent musicians also. My oldest daughter had audition in college for orchestra her freshman year. She "froze" a moment while playing something fairly simple and it cost her because she did not get in. My wife and I were the ones who encouraged her to try again next year and she did much better in audition and got in. My youngest daughter recently graduated from FSU (Dance Major) and had audition in Miami for a dance company in January. She did not get accepted. She auditioned for a company in the city we lived and made it. I guess my point is a unrealistic TV show should not be young artists source of inspiration. Hopefully, their inspiration is their passion for their art and they have family and friends who encourage them thru the tough times.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#12810 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 1:12pm

Glee hasn't just jumped the shark. It's stomped on the shark so much that now it's just a pile of shark guts, and Glee is now just prancing around with its shark gut-covered feet staining the carpet with shark juice.

Funny and gross at the same time.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12910 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 1:14pm

I know. After I hit submit, I was squicked out. Poor shark.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CarlosAlberto
#13010 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 1:16pm

My oldest daughter had audition in college for orchestra her freshman year. She "froze" a moment while playing something fairly simple and it cost her because she did not get in. My wife and I were the ones who encouraged her to try again next year and she did much better in audition and got in.

I feel your daughters pain. The same thing happened to me when I auditioned for the High School of Performing Arts. I literally froze, lost my footing and never re-gained it again...it's an awful, awful feeling. I'm glad you instilled your daughter the faith and confidence to have her go and try again...a support system is extremely important...especially when that support system is your very own parents.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13110 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 1:17pm

But imagine what she couldve achieved with Rachel Berry in her corner.

CarlosAlberto
#13210 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 1:17pm

@Kad: That shark never stood a chance! LOL!

Gothampc
#13310 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 6:41pm

"He was an intern yet he was very chummy with the fashion editor to the point where she was taking story ideas from him (Rachel's dumb makeover). NEVER would that happen."

But it just happened on the Carrie Diaries. Carrie Bradshaw was just roaming around Century 21 and poof three weeks later she's an intern in the fashion division of Interview Magazine and partying it up at The Limelight.

And look how quickly Karen Cartwright got a leading role on Broadway. And she didn't even have to break Ivy Lynn's leg like Shirley MacLaine did to Carol Haney.

TV is telling us that if you're not successful in a month's time in NYC, you might as well go back to whatever hellhole you came out of.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13410 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 6:51pm

Carlos -- love your new avatar!

Goth -- thank you for that.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#13510 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 7:09pm

Well, in television you only have a limited amount of episodes to tell a person's story so you need to pack as much as you can in order to make it interesting. This can be done more subtly in film where time is more symbolic but series are more like chronicles and you only get one episode per week to tell what is going on in the typically complicated lifes of the characters.

Gothampc
#13610 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 8:19pm

"Well, in television you only have a limited amount of episodes to tell a person's story so you need to pack as much as you can in order to make it interesting."

Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty had 20 years to pine for each other. What's your point?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#13710 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 8:30pm

Well there are exceptions to the rule, but today no writer should start to write a season thinking they'll have twenty years to tell their story, because more than likely they won't have such a time span and the series would then end abruptly and incomplete.

Updated On: 3/10/13 at 08:30 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#13810 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 7:26am

CarlosAlberto- Exactly and GLEE would have been much better off having Rachel not get in after she "flubbed" the audition. They could have shown a young audience that sometimes someone very talented can mess up and have to adapt to failure. Imagine having a story line where Rachel works her tail off while at another school and auditions the next year and makes it. Obviously the show wanted Rachel and Kurt in NYC and would not do something like what I mentioned above. IMO - they should have just had Rachel pass the audition and get in and not have the nonsense they pulled at the end of last season.

Updated On: 3/11/13 at 07:26 AM

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#13910 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 5:18pm

While we're commenting on the silliness of the show, we must remember:

It must cost NOTHING to travel to Lima, Ohio from NYC and other US cities. The "graduated" cast seem to pop in and out of Lima with regular ease. Also, they do it without shirking obligations in their schools and other cities.

I went to college 90 minutes from my HS. During my 4 years of undergrad and 2 years of grad school, I went back to my HS 0 times. I visited the marching band (which I had been active in) just before moving to college, but never walked through the halls of my high school again until I was employed as a teacher in the school district I graduated from.

What once seemed to have genuine plots that discussed the issues I cared about has turn into complete dribble. At 28, I also know no one my age who still watches the show or enjoys it. Many of my friends tuned out during Season 2. I stuck with it all the way to the end of Season 3, praying it would get better, but no episode has surpassed the pilot episode in its ability to tell a captivating story with characters we can care about. Originally GLEE was supposed to be a movie, and maybe it should have been. Developing it for TV has killed every ounce of charm that the show had.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14010 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 5:37pm

To be fair, EVERY year I have students visit anytime they are home be it a school day or to see a performance. Many kids PLAN to come home on performance weekends. Does it last forever? No, but many kids visit for 2 or more years.

(I'm sure it's not as often as on Glee, but it does happen. I myself visited my HS exactly once.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#14110 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 8:36pm

Glee isn't even relevant to Broadway anymore, imo. It stopped being relevant when Rachel flubbed the audition and still got in. That stuff doesn't happen.
I actually liked Rachel when I watched Glee, but she was never a role model for me. And I'm a high school student.

Honestly, why is Glee all over this site? It's just as relevant to Broadway as Dance Moms, and I don't see people posting all over the site about that show!

"Nice is different than good."

ClydeBarrow
#14210 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 8:42pm

10 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14310 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 8:54pm

"Well, in television you only have a limited amount of episodes to tell a person's story so you need to pack as much as you can in order to make it interesting."

So Glee decided to have its characters live in fantasyland while at the same time trying to be realistic.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#14410 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 9:07pm

Yeah, I don't et that comment either. Surely one of the strength of TV shows (particularly serialized ones, now that we've largely gotten away from TV shows having to revert back to the status quo at the end of every episode so that episodes could often be watched in any order) is that you DO have more time to tell a story and sketch out a character.

DEClark, the thing about how often they travel (and quickly) is mentioned in the original link in this thread. It's a valid point, though it's the least of my concerns with the show right now.

I didn't know Glee was originally meant to be a movie. I know that apparently Ian Brennan's script was entirely different and much darker, involving a teacher and sexual abuse (I guess the show did have that awful setup with the gay choir teacher being fired.) Ryan Murphy got his paws on it and completely redid it with Brad Falchuk though Brennan has stayed on as a writer (and for a while seemed to write the better episodes, though I haven't been paying much attention lately.)

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#14510 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 10:59pm

I'm so loving the Dance Moms gifs over here.

"Nice is different than good."

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#14610 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 11:06pm

I mean, it's okay to be a little offended by the show, right? That's why I stopped watching. I found their handling of "messages" to be indelicate, inaccurate, and very marginalizing. The adoption stuff, the storyline regarding Mercedes' weight, on and on and on, I found them taking serious issues and handling them so, so poorly to the point that it became hard to accept.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

ClydeBarrow
#14710 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 11:10pm

You mean like Kurt telling Karofsky to imagine his dream life after he fails at killing himself and he envisions himself in ten years as a successful sports agent with a handsome husband and a son AKA the stereotypical heterosexual dream? That offends me.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#14810 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/11/13 at 11:12pm

Yeah, apparently I'd already stopped watching by then because I have no idea what you're talking about.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#14910 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/12/13 at 9:59am

The Karofsky stuff was so aggravating to me in season 3 because it was so unrealistic and telegraphed. They gave away the whole plot line the minute they introduced it. That's what I mean by bad 90s after school special!

And like Kelly2 said, they handle these issues so poorly that it becomes offensive and further marginalizes the marginalized. I do not see how any people in the GLBT find strength in these characters and their stuggles. The GLBT culture is appropriated and further strips away the voice of the seemingly voiceless. It's exploitation of the "exotic" (i.e. Unique). It's degrading and shallow.

This show is terrible.