Jawbreaker Musical?

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#1Jawbreaker Musical?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 7:48pm

Does anyone know what Jawbreaker the Musical is? Frankie J Grande (brother of Ariana) tweeted:

@FrankieJGrande: Are you ready for @jawbreakerBway w/ @LizGillies, @JoJoistheway and MORE...including me!!! Such a talented cast! Jawbreaker Musical?

Has him, Liz Gillies, and Jojo. Is this really going to Broadway?

bigbelterbaby
#2Jawbreaker Musical?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 10:49pm

You've never seen the movie Jawbreaker ???? you're missing out - it's a cult classic. I've heard there is a musical of it done regionally I didn't think it would ever go to Broadway tho

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2Jawbreaker Musical?
Posted: 6/28/13 at 12:15am

It's one of the best comedies ever that they've tried to make into a musical. There was a reading/concert at the Canal Room a few years back that I sadly missed.

It was around the same time as the HEATHERS concert which was unbelievably good. Jeremy Jordan. Annaleigh Ashford.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#3Jawbreaker Musical?
Posted: 6/28/13 at 12:35am

It's hard because Heathers, to me, is inherently better source material. And the music I've heard from Heathers is out of this world good. Far and away better than any of the newer "rock musicals" these past few seasons. The concert at Joe's Pub was an absolute blast and the cast was awesome. I imagine one will pull quite a bit of attention and focus from the other and just based on what I've heard of the scores for each, Jawbreaker is the weaker of the two.

Are they both aiming for the 2013-2014 season?

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#4Jawbreaker Musical?
Posted: 6/28/13 at 6:28am

And there was me thinking it was a musical based on the classic catalina movie of the same name....

Now that would have been interesting, if only to see how they got round the dilemma of how to sing with your mouth full!

bwaycrazy24
#5Jawbreaker Musical?
Posted: 6/28/13 at 5:09pm

I dunno. The problem is that Heathers is SUCH a good film where as Jawbreaker can obviously be improved upon. (for the record, its been a long time since I've seen jb). I can see pros and cons to each. I went to the heathers joes pub concert too and wasn't as ipressed. It sounded like Bat Boy meets Legally Blonde and I didn't care for either of those scores. Jb is on soundcloud if you search for it. Much more my personal taste as it has a current pop sound. Heathers sounds like crappy musical theater. But thats just my taste.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#6Jawbreaker Musical?
Posted: 6/28/13 at 5:15pm

Have both on DVD (concert readings) and sorry but Jawbreaker is awful, they need to give up. Heathers however is brilliant

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#7Jawbreaker Musical?
Posted: 6/28/13 at 5:56pm

I once asked Christine Lakin [She played Heather Duke in the concert reading] on Twitter if she knew what was happening with the show and she said something about the creative team was aiming for London first. No sure what has progressed from there, but I would love to see Heathers on Broadway, because the concert was really wonderful.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 6/28/13 at 05:56 PM

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#9Heathers in LA
Posted: 6/28/13 at 9:37pm

I also heard that Heathers is doing a run in LA - anyone have any info on this? What is taking this project so damn long? The music is brilliant.

getatme
#10Heathers in LA
Posted: 6/29/13 at 12:30am

At Lawrence O'Keefe's Behind the Music-al event back in February, he said there was going to be a production of Heathers in Boston this October. I'm not sure if plans have changed since then, though.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#11Heathers in LA
Posted: 6/29/13 at 12:42am

Boston and London info is certainly out of date. I wouldn't be surprised if you see it in L.A. this fall, and I wouldn't be surprised either if Broadway was soon after. The Twitter account is real and connected to the show.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Updated On: 6/29/13 at 12:42 AM

BroadwayStar4 Profile Photo
BroadwayStar4
#12Heathers in LA
Posted: 6/29/13 at 6:45pm

"It's hard because Heathers, to me, is inherently better source material. And the music I've heard from Heathers is out of this world good."

So why is it taking so long to get it up and running?

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#13Heathers in LA
Posted: 6/29/13 at 7:52pm

I hadn't heard anything about Jawbreakers in a long time. I'm still interested in how it would translate as a musical.

Heathers I'm already sold on.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#14Heathers in LA
Posted: 7/17/13 at 9:27pm

Glad to see BWW is trolling the boards to bring us a story about a tweet that we've been discussing for weeks.
BWW Link

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Videos