pixeltracker

Kelly Clarkson on Broadway- Page 2

Kelly Clarkson on Broadway

Liza's Headband
#25Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 9:25am

"Having seen both of them in concert multiple times, Carrie Underwood only wishes she has as much stage presence as Kelly does."

That's the biggest joke I have ever heard. AnthVoice is right. Total snoozefest.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 9:42am

Poise? Charm? A decent job? Hardly words to suggest she has the acting chops to perform on b'way. Or that she should act anywhere. It takes a bit more than being a nice person to act.

(I've seen bits and pieces -- I've never been able to stomach the whole thing.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#27Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 9:47am

When I read the thread title, my initial reaction was that is was a terrible idea. But when folks suggested Annie Get Your Gun, I thought that might work. It would be nice (for a change) to have a relatively young Annie Oakley, and she can definitely sing those songs.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

flyinghighwithwicked
#28Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 9:58am

When I posted the thread, I immediately acknowledged how awful that movie was, however I believe she did a decent job with the horrible material she was given. Also, she was 19 at the time that the movie was filmed, and did all in her power to try to get out of the obligation of doing the movie. She has never kept it a secret that she never wanted to do it.

FishermanBob: I have been a fan of Clarkson's for years and I have always thought she would do a good job in Theatre. If any of the people you listed could handle performing 8x a week, it's Kelly Clarkson.

LIza's Headband and AnthVoice2010: Not sure when you saw her, and obviously you're entitled to your opinions, but I saw her on the "All I Ever Wanted" (2009) and "Stronger" (2012) tours and she was anything but boring. She was engaging, funny, and of course she sounded amazing.

Not that she's right for Sandy in any way, but here's a clip of her singing "Hopelessly Devoted to You" from Grease. I don't know how many people on here buy her music or listen to anything but what you hear on the radio, but she is capable of much more than just screaming her face off on a "Stronger" or "People Like Us."
She starts around 1:30

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#29Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:07am

That woman has the most gorgeous voice. And she nailed the song!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

NOB88
#30Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:10am

Re: that 'awful' movie she was in, seems that curly headed kid that co-starred with her is a B'way performer with decent reviews.

dramamama611
#31Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:17am

yes, he did....but he didn't get the role because of a status. He auditioned and EARNED the role.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

flyinghighwithwicked
#32Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:21am

I don't think anyone suggested that he got the role because of status (mostly because he never rocketed to stardom after Idol) and I don't know about anyone else, but MY implication was certainly not that Kelly Clarkson should be on Broadway because she's Kelly Clarkson.

Updated On: 7/5/13 at 10:21 AM

Liza's Headband
#33Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:27am

^ And yet, that is exactly what you're implying. Because if she wasn't "Kelly Clarkson," this thread would not exist.

NOB88
#34Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:29am

"yes, he did....but he didn't get the role because of a status. He auditioned and EARNED the role."

My point was her being in that movie should not deter her from being a good B'way performer someday, just as it didn't Justin.

Liza's Headband
#35Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:30am

No, but a lack of talent in the acting department should.

flyinghighwithwicked
#36Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:31am

Of course this thread would not exist, because Kelly in her current form would not exist. But I am not implying that Kelly Clarkson should be on Broadway because of her "status". It has nothing to do with bringing her to Broadway because she's famous.

Liza's Headband
#37Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:34am

But she is famous. You can't separate the two. Get what I'm saying?

She has a good voice and people adore her, obviously. But she bores me to tears on stage. Her face (among other things) does nothing to express the emotional tone of a song. No connection.

Updated On: 7/5/13 at 10:34 AM

dramamama611
#38Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:43am

But the entire premise of this thread is "Kelly Clarkson should be on b'way." Why? Because she's a good singer? THAT'S not enough.

No one can point to anything that SHOWS she can act. "Decent" is hardly an endorsement.

flyinghighwithwicked
#39Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:44am

I understand what you're saying but it doesn't match what I'm saying. In however many years when she's a "has been" artist and she's out of the main scope of the public eye (but still recording :) ) I'd still say that she would be good. And if I knew her before Idol, I'd have thought the world of her talent. I couldn't care less about her fame.

I disagree with you about her onstage, but that's simply a matter of opinion I guess.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#40Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 11:00am

Kelly's one of those artists with whom I have no problem if she doesn't move around much on stage, or is boring, as some have said. I kind of like it that way. Adele and Mariah are statues on stage also, if that means anything.

I know this doesn't make a case for here to be on broadway, but I'm not addressing that issue. I"m addressing the "she's boring" issue.

Liza's Headband
#41Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 11:01am

Great point, Jane. That goes to further solidify that she's best for the stage as a pop/country/whatever vocalist - not a Broadway actress.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#42Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 11:29am

I have to agree with the majority here that she's probably not right for broadway. However, stranger things can happen!

flyinghighwithwicked
#43Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 11:43am

To each his/her own! :) That's why I started the thread, to hear people's opinions! :) I personally am a huge Kelly Clarkson fan and think she'd slay on Broadway but I recognize that not everyone agrees with me.

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#44Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 11:45am

Yes Jane2 stranger things have happened like casting Linda Eder in a Broadway production. The woman can sing her t*ts off, but on stage she falls flat. Believe me this was hard for me to admit being I love her.

BTW I LOVE Kelly and would love to see what she can do on B'way!

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Updated On: 7/5/13 at 11:45 AM

broadwayghost1
#45Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 11:54am

Did anyone see Debbie Gibson as Eponine?

Or Melba Moore as Fantine?

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#46Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 12:22pm

"FishermanBob: I have been a fan of Clarkson's for years and I have always thought she would do a good job in Theatre. If any of the people you listed could handle performing 8x a week, it's Kelly Clarkson."

I didn't mention those other names because I think they would be better on Broadway than her but rather to point out what a complete waste of time these type of threads are. If she was announced or even under consideration for a role or even had come out recently and said she's actively looking to do something on Broadway in the next year or two is one thing. But to just pull a name out of thin air because you or others like someone and ask everyone to spend time giving their opinion is another. It's like 2 homeless people sitting around and talking in great detail about what specific options they'd like on a new Porsche. It's a mildly interesting way to kill some time but doesn't mean much more than that.

flyinghighwithwicked
#47Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 12:27pm

Except for the fact that in the first line of the first post (the whole reason that I started this thread) mentions that she has stated several times fairly recently that she wants to do Broadway. Not "oh it'd be nice!" When asked what she hasn't done that she wants to do next, her immediate response was "I'd love to do Broadway."

Liza's Headband
#48Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 12:33pm

Wanting to do it doesn't automatically make you the right person for it.

flyinghighwithwicked
#49Kelly Clarkson on Broadway
Posted: 7/5/13 at 12:36pm

I was responding to FishermanBob who compared my starting this thread to homeless people discussing buying a Porsche. Kelly expressed interest in a few interviews and I started this thread to see what y'all thought. I didn't just pick a famous singer for the sake of doing so.

Videos