Posted: 7/8/13 at 4:14pm

She's got it in her bag.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#51Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 4:43pm

I think Helen should definitely have a deepish voice. when you think of stage divas of a certain period and age, you think deep. And I think of a brunette.

I was never so anxious to hear about a casting before!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
#52Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 5:58pm

"I think Helen should definitely have a deepish voice. when you think of stage divas of a certain period and age, you think deep."

Like Gertrude Lawrence, Helen Morgan, or Vivienne Segal?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#53Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 6:24pm

I'm not familiar with them, but how about Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Judy Dench?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#54Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 7:41pm

1930s era Broadway grande dames had all manner of vocal registers: Miriam Hopkins, Helen Hayes, Lilian Gish, Elisabeth Bergner, Jeanne Eagels, Lynn Fontanne, Katharine Cornell, Ruth Gordon....

Jane2, Judi Dench was born in the mid 1930s.

Updated On: 7/9/13 at 07:41 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#55Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 7:46pm

that's nice

Updated On: 7/8/13 at 07:46 PM

henrikegerman
#56Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 7:48pm

deleted
Updated On: 7/8/13 at 07:48 PM

vf
#57Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 8:55pm

Judy Dench reminded me of Judy Davis. Judy Davis has appeared in 5 Woody Allen movies, maybe she was robbed of an Oscar for her performance in Husbands and Wives. I think I read somewhere that she started out as a singer- she played a singer and sang in a movie, High Tide. She's done stage work in Australia per Wikipedia, and there's something kind of theatrical about her. She can be funny. Maybe she's not well known enough or enough of a singer or the right age, but I can see her as Helen Sinclair.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#58Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 9:16pm

Yes, Judy Davis is a fine actor and apparently Woodyloves her!

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#59Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/8/13 at 9:23pm

How about Harriet Harris?

henrikegerman
#60Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/9/13 at 12:01pm

*YES! Memo to Woody: Cast her! (change the songs/keys if nec. but cast her!)

Smokin' Bebe Glazer Updated On: 7/9/13 at 12:01 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#61Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/9/13 at 3:28pm

Someone I haven't heard mention (who certainly doesn't have a healthy soprano) is Bebe Neuwirth, she'd be a riot and has the smokey voice. She's also worked with Allen before (she walks away with CELEBRITY) and can definitely play a diva.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#62Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/9/13 at 3:33pm

If they're cool with not making Helen a soprano (or any rangy singer), Bebe could be great.

She'd be good for box office, too.

henrikegerman
#63Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/9/13 at 3:38pm

Vocal choices aside, Newirth would be ideal, but there are so many possibilities.

Sean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
#64Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 7/9/13 at 9:15pm

Imelda Staunton, hands down. She would blow the roof off - great singing chops and a freaking brilliant sense of comedy timing.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#65Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/3/13 at 10:14am

Anyone have any more information on who Helen is or when they will announce it?
Thanks!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#66Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/3/13 at 10:19am

They're selling tickets already, aren't they?

They must really be holding out for "the right star."

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#67Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/3/13 at 10:56am

I believe they're waiting to see how the workshop goes in October before finalizing casting for the role of Helen.

Because of what happened with Marin Mazzie after the last reading, I'm guessing they've found someone who will be doing the workshop in October and want to wait and see how it goes before finalizing that actress for the actual production.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#68Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/3/13 at 10:59am

somethingwicked- what happened with Marin Mazzie in the last reading??

henrikegerman
#69Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/3/13 at 11:14am

I've been all over the place on this, most recently obsessed with the admittedly wild idea of Shirley Henderson as Helen, which I arrived at after watching her as Leonora in Topsy Turvy, reciting her lines in her dressing room mirror while sipping sherry just before we see her on stage singing the &*() out of The Moon and I.

Jon
#70Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/3/13 at 3:23pm

Donna Murphy? Megan Mullaly? Brooke Shields?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#71Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/3/13 at 3:26pm

When I read the casting breakdown and saw they wanted a soprano, I thought Rebecca Luker could be an inspired choice, and am holding out for that possibility.

I have a few people I'd really like to see play Helen, so I hope they cast one of them.

(Shirley Henderson would be brilliant, but that would never happen. Unfortunately.)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#72Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/7/13 at 12:17pm

Has anyone heard any on the casting of Eden or any of the ensemble roles?

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#73Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/7/13 at 12:31pm

Think Dianne Wiest would ever do it herself? She hasn't been doing much lately.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#74Casting of Helen Sinclair
Posted: 9/7/13 at 12:53pm

I want Donna Murphy to be in this so badly.
I believe Somethingwicked said in another thread that Mazzie appeared in the workshop, but the creative team decided she (along with the actress who played Eden, not sure who that was) was not a right fit for the role, and that's why Eden and Helen were not announced along with the rest of the cast. I guess it makes sense they are waiting for the next workshop to see if the role works out, I'm sure they really want to get this one right.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"