Pippin or Big Fish

Clopin73 Profile Photo
Clopin73
#1Pippin or Big Fish
Posted: 9/8/13 at 9:04am

Greetings Broadway Experts,

I need counsel on deciding which show to see when I am visiting in mid November. I am torn between Pippin and Big Fish. One Big Top adventure versus another. I was sold on Pippin because I so wanted to see Andrea Martin, but now that she is gone I am open to seeing another show instead. Big Fish has good pre-Broadway buzz but Pippin did win the Tony. I am conflicted - what do you all recommend?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#2Pippin or Big Fish
Posted: 9/8/13 at 9:07am

Even without Andrea Martin, Pippin is better, in my opinion! Much more fun.

jaxandmci Profile Photo
jaxandmci
#2Pippin or Big Fish
Posted: 9/8/13 at 9:50pm

I've seen Pippin twice and saw Big Fish on Saturday.

It's quite an easy decision

Pippin is superior.

frankenleeestein
#3Pippin or Big Fish
Posted: 9/9/13 at 1:01am

Even if Pippin weren't superior, it would probably be more wise to see a show that's been running for a few months and gotten lots of critical acclaim rather than one that'll be in its second week of previews and may have some more kinks to work out.

Go to Pippin.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#4Pippin or Big Fish
Posted: 9/9/13 at 1:50am

Pippin was very good. The production and cast are all top notch. I am very glad I saw it, but I feel like without the cast and Diane Paulus's direction and execution it would have been a snooze fest. I am not a big Stephen Schwartz fan, and I feel like Pippin is a bit disjointed when it comes to the structure of the show.
I've only seen the Chicago production of Big Fish. I loved it, but Pippin is far more imaginative and breathtaking. Both are worth seeing. It just comes down to wanting to see a hot ticket talk of the town revival, or a big new musical in previews (which seeing something so early on can actually be exciting).

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

mpd4165
#5Pippin or Big Fish
Posted: 9/9/13 at 11:21am

I have to say Pippin. I also saw Big Fish in Chicago and though things have definitely changed since I last saw, those that I thought were MAJOR issues (like that AWFUL western number) seem to remain.

Videos