pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 3:16pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 11/24/2013 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: ANNIE (10.6%), THE LION KING (6.5%), AFTER MIDNIGHT (3.8%), MAMMA MIA! (3.0%), TWELFTH NIGHT/RICHARD III (2.9%), NEWSIES (1.7%), THE SNOW GEESE (0.8%), SPIDER-MAN TURN OFF THE DARK (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance was: A NIGHT WITH JANIS JOPLIN (-18.7%), CHICAGO (-6.6%), BIG FISH (-6.4%), 700 SUNDAYS (-5.8%), THE GLASS MENAGERIE (-5.7%), JERSEY BOYS (-5.1%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-4.8%), NO MAN'S LAND/WAITING FOR GODOT (-4.4%), MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL (-3.8%), FIRST DATE (-3.3%), A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER (-3.2%), ONCE (-3.1%), ROCK OF AGES (-2.9%), PIPPIN (-2.5%), MACBETH (-2.2%), MATILDA (-1.7%), WICKED (-1.6%), ROMEO AND JULIET (-1.0%), CINDERELLA (-0.8%), KINKY BOOTS (-0.4%), THE WINSLOW BOY (-0.4%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

felipenor
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 3:32pm

How is it that shows like The Book of Mormon get to sell more seats than the total seats of the theater? Do 200 people watch the show standing up?

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 3:34pm

Yes, that's exactly what happens. The Book of Mormon sells around 25-30 standing room seats every show when the show is sold out (which is just about every performance as far as I'm aware.)

Standing room spots are not in the capacity counts of theatres, so a show selling standing room can be above 100% capacity.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

neonlightsxo
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 3:36pm

A disappointing bump for Gentleman's Guide.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 3:43pm

I don't know if I'd call it disappointing, grosses went up by nearly 50% in what was otherwise a very slow week on Broadway as it's the week before a huge influx of tourists come in and schools are on vacation.

My guess is it's at or just below the weekly running costs with the numbers it just pulled in. No, not great for the long-term health of the show but far from disastrous when it's a very slow week otherwise and only a week after it opened.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

After Eight
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 3:51pm

The Mamma Mia collapse is hard to figure. Had it been so closely identified with the Winter Garden that when it left people thought it had closed? Did the two week hiatus also give that impression? Is the Broadhurst perhaps not a glitzy enough venue for this?

I wonder now if it will close sooner than later.

The Gentleman's Guide gross is also disappointing, in light of the reviews.

Updated On: 11/25/13 at 03:51 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 3:58pm

Very surprised about the MAMMA MIA numbers, it's crazy they only were at 60-odd% capacity at the Broadhurst. Did they even do those numbers at the Winter Garden? I haven't checked their numbers in a while.
I don't think GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE... is in trouble at all, the grosses actually went up which is what matters, especially since most shows had a pretty disastrous week. I imagine the numbers for the show will largely improve starting next week with the Thanksgiving holiday and through Christmas. I hope it can survive those tough winter months early in the year though.
The biggest loser here is ROMEO & JULIET. God, it must suck to perform to a house filled at 37% capacity. I'm still not sure what the point of this revival was. It clearly didn't work out. And speaking of Shakespeare, how exciting is it that a Mark Rylance-led production of two Shakespeare plays is doing that well!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 6:14pm

Wow Chicago was really low this week. Surprising.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 6:52pm

For only having 5 performances, the $500,000+ for BEAUTIFUL is promising!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

RUkiddingme
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 6:56pm

All the tourist shows have low numbers. Consistent and expected. Closing notices for Chicago and Mamma Mia should happen on a Monday night in Jan after 2017.

Gentleman's Guide's increase is disappointing? Maybe if you're the Mayor of Toronto. Otherwise it's a nice step in the right direction.

To me the most shocking number is Billy Crystal not selling out. Or should I say his show not selling out - he sold out long ago!

And the best news is seeing The Glass Menagerie having such a healthy run!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 7:38pm

Right, but 700 SUNDAYS is now playing in a theater with 1,469 seats compared to the 1,166 seats it was playing to 8 years ago. It sold 700 more seats last week than it could have sold at the Broadhurst during the original run.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 7:40pm

Congrats to Beautiful for a strong first week. :) R&J is sad but really, who wants to see a play that's been done everywhere and by everyone unless it's something truly special? This clearly wasn't.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Jonwo
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 9:19pm

Mamma Mia at the Winter Garden was doing 60-70% in the low season but they could meet running costs and discount since they had a bigger capacity, clearly they thought they would be doing better business at the Broadhurst rather than doing the same percentage of capacity but lower number of seats.

bryan
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 9:30pm

i guess poto will have to do better then that just colesd the show.

#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/25/13 at 10:47pm

Yikes.... Romeo and Juliet...

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/26/13 at 2:26am

Jersey boys is starting to show decline with only 68.6% of seats sold, grossing $685,562, could this be gone in a couple of years?

Wicked is also show a little decline 92.9% of seats being sold, now should they consider discounting?

neonlightsxo
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/26/13 at 9:17am

92.9% capacity is not exactly a red flag to start discounting.

felipenor
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/27/13 at 5:58am

When you buy standing room seats, is it a lot cheaper than regular seats?

BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/24/13
Posted: 11/27/13 at 7:29am

Great news about "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical"-- off to a promising start.

Playbill.com reports:

"Newly arrived to Broadway at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre was Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. Over five previews, it played to 85% capacity and collected 79% of its possible take. The average paid admission was a not-bad $116.41 a ducat. That was a higher figure than all but four Broadway shows. The show has also already set itself apart from its competition by setting its top premium ticket price at $450. That's above than the red-hot Betrayal ($423) and beaten only by the ever-popular The Book of Mormon ($477)."