BEAUTIFUL Reviews

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#25BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 7:48am

A good publicist can turn these mediocre to good reviews into something better, and if the publicist can convince the paying public that Jessie Mueller, who spends two hours suffering but not sparkling until the very end, is worth plunking down $150 (or more, for those nifty premium seats), the show could be a hit. Reviews were better than I expected, and better than the show deserved, but Anika Larsen and Jarrod Spector should have gotten far more "play time" (without them the show would stop dead in its tracks) from the critics. Still, I've seen lots worse shows go on to public glory, but the Tonys are still months off. Way too early to predict (remember LEAP OF FAITH and Matthew in NICE WORK).

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#26BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:02am

I love how all the critics are quick to say this is a ripoff of Jersey Boys, when Jersey Boys is a conceptual and formulaic ripoff of Dreamgirls, right down to the set and staging.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#27BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:12am

Brantley never ceases to amaze me. After an entire lukewarm review about 'formulaic', etc. and how this is nothing original or distinct, he appears to totally contradict himself with his last paragraph.

But when Ms. Mueller sings the show’s title song — sitting at a keyboard in, of course, Carnegie for the production’s finale — she delivers something you don’t expect from a jukebox musical. That’s a complex, revitalizing portrait of how a very familiar song came into existence, and of the real, conflicted person within the reluctant star.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#28BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:39am

Totally agree, theatregeek6. Brantley (and the show) end on a remarkably high point, something neither his review, nor the show, achieve until then.

chanel
#29BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 10:12am

Out.com:

"After seeing the show, I thought 'That was nice, but I'd love to meet Carole King to find out what she's like!'"

Liked Jessie and the array of performers, though.

http://www.out.com/entertainment/michael-musto/2014/01/13/frank-spinelli-boy-scouts-molester-hbo-looking-beautiful-carole-king?page=0,1

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#30BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 6:30pm

theatregeek6 - I took the last comment by Brantley to be a compliment of Ms. Mueller's performance more than a compliment of the actually show.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#31BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 7:00pm

Jayinchelsea. Yankeefan -

Agree and agree. Love Mueller and the ending. Hate Brantley!

That's. All.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#32BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 7:15pm

best12bars, Ben Brantley (rightfully) goes into detail about how extensively the staging and structure of BEAUTIFUL rips off DREAMGIRLS.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/13/14 at 07:15 PM

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#33BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 9:35pm

Underwhelmed by this show. Sorry. Kill me. Love Carole King but as portrayed in the show, she was a boring wet blanket and the question that kept arising in my mind is "Why?"

Why am I watching this?

Why does this exist?

Why make a paint by numbers life story devoid of drama?

And I'm not jumping on the Mueller Can Do No Wrong bandwagon either.

BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
#35BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 10:26pm

So glad Jessie is getting raves !

somethingwicked
#36BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 10:29pm

Um, that piece in Rolling Stone isn't a review. It's an article about the opening.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

Broadwaystar2
#37BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/13/14 at 11:27pm

That was so NOT a review...lol!

somethingwicked
#38BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/14/14 at 12:32pm

In almost all the photos I've seen of Goffin and King when they were young, King is sporting the same short blonde haircut, so oes anyone know why Mueller is constantly brunette throughout the show?

BEAUTIFUL Reviews

BEAUTIFUL Reviews

BEAUTIFUL Reviews

BEAUTIFUL Reviews

BEAUTIFUL Reviews

BEAUTIFUL Reviews

Updated On: 1/14/14 at 12:32 PM

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#39BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/15/14 at 9:37pm

Wall St. Journal raved. Interesting to see 'Did He Like It?' have a string of thumbs up & only one "on the fence" (NYTIMES)-yet go over to Jersey Boys & see a lower score (more "on the fence" reviews.

BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
#40BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/15/14 at 10:51pm

EW gave it a rave too--

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20364394_20774864,00.html

Jessie is sure to win Tony.

BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
#41BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 1/15/14 at 10:54pm

Even the less than positive reviews rave about Jessie and proclaim the show will be a big hit with the public and will run forever. To quote a King song: Now and Forever.

BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
#42BEAUTIFUL Reviews
Posted: 2/11/14 at 10:33pm

So Hoda is heading to see the show for the third time on 2/12. Has she ever endorsed a show so whole-heatedly?

Updated On: 2/12/14 at 10:33 PM