LOOKING

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1150LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/3/15 at 10:29am

And look, I'd never suggest that gay men over over-represented on television, but - and maybe it's because I could not get into this show - I don't feel the void this has left. ,I realize it's probably the only show on tv with a majority of gay characters, but it's not like there are now zero gay male characters on tv.  I don't why THIS is the show we were all expected to get behind, regardless of our feeling on it, just because it had a lot of gay characters. 

I'm not sure what to make of HorseTears's article, but I guess it's not directed at me because I'm not the media? But I never gave Eminem a pass for using faggot all the time, and I don't think I'm allowed to call lesbians dykes with impunity because I'm a gay men, so I don't really know that the point is supposed to be about A Banks and how because she claims to be bi that makes her constant use of the word faggot any less problematic. I don't like framing of being "bruised" by her use of the word.  I just think that maybe someone who doesn't get that world hurled at them by people trying to invoke fear and intimidation should be using it so freely, just like I don't think I have any right to the aforementioned dyke, or n*, or any other slur for a group of people of which I am not a part.

But I dunno, reading that piece, I don't really feel very on board with much of it.  I guess ZW says what I came closest to feeling when I read it.  

Most importantly though, racist, misogynist white gays definitely do not speak for me. There are more than two sides to the problem you guys are importantly addressing. I’m not here to police someone’s tone or applaud it. I’m just really disappointed that social media makes it seem like there’s no other choice.

Updated On: 4/3/15 at 10:29 AM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#1151LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/3/15 at 11:19am

I can't believe I read that whole thing.  But I did!  Yay for me.  The whole, 'It's SO IMPORTANT to recognize that we can have complicated realtionships with art' made me want to punch myself in the nuts.  That's just occurred to you???  Jesus H.  

But then...this very last paragraph really stood out to me:

Do consider this: If we have granted a man like Eminem a prolific career built on the back of using the f-word within his music, it should not prevent someone like AB, who keeps the f-words out of her music, from doing what she loves to do: Creating art that makes us think and dance.

I don't have nearly as much problem with someone using the word 'faggot' in the art they're creating than I do with them using it in daily life to cut people down.  I'm not an apologist for Eminem in any way, but expression in the confines of art feels FAR less problematic than someone shouting 'faggot' at someone on the street.  Or over Twitter.  I think they have the problem backwards.  

FindingNamo
#1152LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/3/15 at 11:33am

If we have granted a man like Eminem a prolific career

I was actually part of the Wiccan Wish Circle the night that happened.  At the end we all chanted, "You career is granted, long live Femby."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1153LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/3/15 at 11:56am

To that I say, this we never gave Eminen a pass and I'm not trying to keep A (I can't bring myself to remember how to spell it the way she spells it) Banks from doing what she loves to do.  Well, except for her using faggot, which she apparently loves to do as much as she loves to make music.   They both assholes. 

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#1154LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/3/15 at 12:10pm

"

• The American Horror Story franchise
• Madonna’s 1998 album Ray of Light
• 95% of all Bollywood films
• Joyce Carol Oates

And yet, AB’s Broke With Expensive Taste does not appear on that short list because I have never felt threatened or offended by her usage of the word “faggot.”"

I actually am curious as to how those works threaten and/or offend the author.  Not because I doubt that they do--some of them do me, although not enough that I would think to put any of them on a list, but...

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#1155LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/3/15 at 1:18pm

FWIW, I enjoyed the Banks article because they were taking the time to have an in depth conversation about the larger issues raised by Banks' behavior and use of language.  But, while I actually love the album, I only related to and largely agreed with the comments of Zach Wilcha (ZW).  

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#1156LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/3/15 at 2:20pm

LOOKING....for an audience

LOOKING....for a good story line

LOOKING

LOOKING

LOOKING

...but never found

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1157LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/8/15 at 12:58pm

TVline confirms today that Looking will get a 2 hour movie, to shoot in September with a tentative January airing.

EricMontreal22
#1158LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/8/15 at 3:43pm

I can live with that.

Apparently some petition for a third season has garnered over 60,000 signatures and now the bloggers are all acting like that will mean something.  Man, I have really started to hate online petitions.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#1159LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/8/15 at 6:46pm

Ugh.  They just need to, you know, tell 'em, Idina...

Now that networks/content producers have access to so much data on their audiences, they certainly know if it makes economic sense to continue with a show or not.  That said, petitions have had an impact in the past.  I'll fully admit to fanboying over Friday Night Lights and signing a petition which, I believe, partly contributed to DirecTV swooping in and saving the show from cancellation.  But, in this particular case, no way it's going to help.  Time to move on.  

EricMontreal22
#1160LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/8/15 at 8:14pm

Exactly.  Besides a 2 hour movie is like 4 episodes--half a season--anyway... 

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#1161LOOKING - Season 2
Posted: 4/9/15 at 3:16am

I finally watched the last episode- what a let down- but i guess I should have expected it. Lots of missed opportunities and missed moments that could have made the season interesting, cutting back when they could have gone farther ect. Even that Orgy Party scene could have been interesting if they had the characters stay longer. Ughhh.

Darreyl with an L!