pixeltracker

Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?

Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#1Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:11pm

The movie is on TV right now and I can't help picturing it as a great and touching musical comedy. I think Nathan could be amazing if he came back and played Albert. Have there ever been attempts? What do you guys think?

Updated On: 1/18/14 at 10:11 PM

#2Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:14pm

Really?!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:15pm

PLEASE tell me you are joking.

Please.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#3Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:17pm

I'm guessing your answers are no. Would you mind explaining? Not being rude or smart I am genuinely curious.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:18pm

Sock puppet alert!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

dramamama611
#5Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:19pm

Have you never heard of La Cage Aux Folles?

REALLY? Look it up.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Liza's Headband
#6Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

I'll give you a really big hint....

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?

That would never work!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:21pm

I was watching a documentary about the Von Trapp family, anyone else thinks that would work as a musical?

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#9Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:22pm

I apologize. I had heard of La Cage but I knew NOTHING about it. I am so sorry. I now understand your frustrations.

Updated On: 1/18/14 at 10:22 PM

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#10Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:23pm

I saw the movie version of Pygmalion - that would make a nifty little Broadway musical , dontcha think?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?

It's ok, we understand Glee hasn't touched it yet. How else would you know?

Liza's Headband
#12Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?

Since it seems GLEE has irreversibly brainwashed you, I accept the apology. I encourage you to branch out from GLEE.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#13Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:25pm

What's Glee?

dramamama611
#14Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:26pm

There was a movie, back in '88, called Hairspray. I always wondered about that becoming a musical, too.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#15Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:28pm

I blame Lea Michele for this.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#16Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:31pm

Gleek, sorry about all of this but it was surely irresistible (and no one knew if you were being serious or not). Thanks for understanding the snarks.

To fill you in a little more fully, first there was a French non-musical play called La Cage aux Folles. Then, in 1978, there was a great French movie of the play, also called La Cage Aux Folles, which was enormously successful and received oscar nominations for best actor screenplay, and costumes. Then there was the Broadway musical, another huge success; then there was the American version of the original non-musical play/movie, The Bird Cage.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#17Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:32pm

I am EXTREMELY branched out from Glee. I love the show but it is no longer my favorite. Just a few weeks ago I remember being in B&N and seeing the cast recording and thinking "This looks interesting." I then had to leave so I sat it down and have not looked it it since. I am frustrated at myself for not getting to this (obviously) iconic musical. But please don't be mistaken. I am NOT one of those mindless Gleeks who thinks Lea Michelle is god and that Chris Colfer was the first to sing "Rose's Turn". Almost any other musical I would know something about but for some reason this show has escaped my radar. I am however a moderate George Hearn fan so I will be picking up the cast recording ASAP. Again I am extremely sorry to those I have offended.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:33pm

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

Liza's Headband
#19Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:33pm

I LOVE LJAY!!!!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:34pm

Again I am extremely sorry to those I have offended.

Just run away if you see Jerry Herman. He can get VERY aggressive.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#21Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:43pm

In order to avoid an innocent post looking like a Troll Post and your own Innocent Young Self looking like a Troll, I would advise you to Google first and start a thread like this only after you have done some research.

You're welcome.

Gothampc
#22Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:44pm

gleek, don't apologize. Some of the posters on this board think they created musical theater. Asking questions is how you learn. La Cage Aux Folles isn't on anyone's list of Top Ten Musicals that everyone should be familiar with.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#23Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 10:56pm

Amen to what Gothampc posted. What's the big deal?

Nobody is required to respond to a post that seems naive.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#24Could The Birdcage Be Successful as a Musical ?
Posted: 1/18/14 at 11:12pm

La Cage Aux Folles isn't on anyone's list of Top Ten Musicals that everyone should be familiar with.

Didn't I mention Jerry Herman is a violent man?!