pixeltracker

Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl

Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl

DebraR
#1Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 1/21/14 at 8:52pm

Hi Everyone,

My 16 year old daughter has been told twice recently that she needs to put together and work on some age appropriate songs to use for auditions. She really needs to gather a group of songs that she can use for both summer university musical theatre intensive auditions and next year for college auditions.

She is a mezzo soprano and is looking for some lesser known character songs, ballads, songs that will show her voice off in the best way (and also be age appropriate). Any suggestions would be very appreciated!!

debora2
#2Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 1/23/14 at 5:19am

I’m sharing some list that is age appropriate and hopefully will help your daughter to standout in crowd. The lists from Grease can be:
"There are Worse Things I Could Do", "Hopelessly Devoted to You", or "Freddy My Love".
From Beauty and the Beast, try "Home" or "Beauty and the Beast".
Hairspray "Good Morning, Baltimore" is a great song.
Less well known, "Someone like You" from Jekyll and Hyde is a beautiful song.

DebraR
#2Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 1/23/14 at 9:56am

Thanks for your reply! Funny thing is that Someone Like You is the latest song that she was told was not age appropriate. Its getting frustrating. Im thinking that I should dig up some songs from shows in the 1930-1960 time period. Lesser known and perhaps more age neutral.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#3Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 1/25/14 at 2:35am

I would try to look at some songs that are from shows about teenagers. Pretty much every solo from "Bring It On" is age appropriate for a teen because the show is about high school cheerleading. If you are looking for more unknown (let's face it Bring It On is not that well known) and unique some songs from Carrie the Musical are great like "Carrie", "The World According to Chris", "Why Not Me", and "The Destruction" are great as well. Also maybe something from "Legally Blonde" which is about college not high school students. Legally Blonde is somewhat well known though. Just look for shows about teenagers listen to the songs and find one that you guys like. Hope I could help!

MKunkel Profile Photo
MKunkel
#4Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 1/31/14 at 3:30pm

"Cute Boys with Short Haircuts" from Vanities is a great audition song for a teenage girl and, from my knowledge, hardly used.

KC91WFU
#5Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 1/31/14 at 6:32pm

What about "The Lamest Place In The World" from 13? It has a minor curses ("dumbass" "suck"-are they curses these days? ). It's upbeat and totally cute.

KC91WFU
#6Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 1/31/14 at 6:34pm

Oh, and that song from Beauty and The Beast that isn't on the original cast album. "There's Been A Change in Me"

DebraR
#7Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 1/31/14 at 6:57pm

Thanks everyone, these are great. Her voice coach is steering her away from 13 but the others may just work. So appreciate the help.

mbelle46
#8Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/1/14 at 7:31am

I saw "lamest place in the world" but what it means to be a friend is less know

mbelle46
#9Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/1/14 at 7:31am

I saw "lamest place in the world" but what it means to be a friend is less know

Larcen26 Profile Photo
Larcen26
#10Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/18/14 at 3:25pm

There is a song called "Don't Call Me Trailer Trash (I live in a mobile home)" that might not necessarily be age appropriate, since technically the character would be in her 20's, but it is a great character piece.

Stay away from Les Mis for any and all college auditions.

Maybe go old school..."But not for me" not obscure, but I guarantee not many teens will be singing it.

"My New Philosophy" if she is more belty...

I would assume by "Age appropriate" they aren't necessarily saying the "character" needs to be a teen...just not blatantly an adult...I could see them being off-put by "Someone Like You" purely because Lucy is a prostitute, but it is narrow minded.

Another question would be how young does your daughter look? If she is a mature kid, but really really looks young, that could be another issue as to why she is getting these comments.

Also go to a local music store and find the Mezzo "The Singer's Musical Theater Anthology" there are numerous volumes and always have a great range of popular and obscure.

Baritone in search of a role in a new musical...

DebraR
#11Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/18/14 at 5:27pm

Thanks so much for the great advise and information. I will definitely look those songs up, that is exactly what we were hoping for, great character songs, comedic songs and some possible ballads but just not "adult" ballads. She, until a few weeks ago, had braces, today she still looks 16 but not quite as "young". Her voice and personality is more outgoing and sweet, not quite the fit for those relationship songs that she's been using.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#12Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/20/14 at 3:56am

Most of the songs mentioned in this thread are very much overdone. But keep in mind, as long as something isn't eye-rolling-ly overdone (like "On My Own") and she does it like no one else can, it really doesn't matter.

Also keep in mind that the Singer's Anthologies do have a bunch of great songs, but almost every singing teacher in the country has them.

WOSQ
#13Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/20/14 at 11:39am

Find a performer of the same age range with roughly the same vocal range and then listen to every song they have recorded.

Sopranos for instance could listen to Susan Watson who was Broadway's go-to ingénue in the 1960s: Birdie, Carnival, Ben Franklin, Celebration, Nanette.

A similar mezzo does not come to mind.

Lastly, take a look at "Nobody Steps on Kafritz" by Bob Merrill from Henry Sweet Henry (1967). It is a character belt song that can be very funny. It can also be a bit hard to find.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

DebraR
#14Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/20/14 at 6:36pm

Thank you both so much! Great advise and I will definitely look up the folks you mentioned!

WOSQ
#15Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/21/14 at 12:01pm

"Oooh, My Feet" from The Most Happy Fella is very funny and is not age inappropriate, except there is one lyric that you might have to clean up. They did for the original 1956 cast recording anyway.

This is an 'end of the workday song' as sung by a waitress. It is also the song that opens the show.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#16Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/23/14 at 6:31am

I'm Not Alone - Carrie
Fly Into The Future - Vanities
On My Way - Violet
Perfect - Edges

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

DebraR
#17Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/23/14 at 12:47pm

These are great, thanks so much!

WOSQ
#18Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/24/14 at 10:27am

For some reason I've been thinking on this. Cy Coleman wrote, with various lyricists, a bunch of kind of rah-rah songs, several of which are standards to some degree. All are peppy, bright and up.

Hey, Look Me Over - Wildcat
Pass Me By - Father Goose (a movie)
I'm a Brass Band - Sweet Charity
Its Not Where You Start - Seesaw
Hey There, Good Times - I Love My Wife

DebraR
#19Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 2/25/14 at 9:42pm

So appreciate the suggestions Broadway Legend! Really a fan of Cy Coleman, looking forward to listening to these songs!

mebuggy1 Profile Photo
mebuggy1
#20Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 3/27/14 at 10:00pm

She should do My Funny Valentine,but the Alice Frendham version it's different and will set her apart from everyone.

Wilmingtom
#21Age appropriate (lesser known) songs for teen girl
Posted: 3/29/14 at 1:59pm

"Home" from The Wiz for a soaring power ballad.
"Babes in Arms" for a driving, uptempo.
"It Might As Well Be Spring" from Sate Fair, a beautiful ballad.
"In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella (I seem to be on a Richard Rodgers binge)
"The Boy Next Door" from Meet Me in St. Louis
"The Girl I Mean to Be" from The Secret Garden
"The Age of Not Believing" from Bedknobs and Broomsticks (film)
"Ordinary Miracles" from Charlotte's Web (film)
"Remember Me This Way" from Caspar (film)

Wishing your daughter every success.