pixeltracker

Prayers and Healing for Theater Journalist Randy Gener

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#1Prayers and Healing for Theater Journalist Randy Gener
Posted: 1/25/14 at 2:00pm

Randy Gener, one of the smartest and nicest theater writers around, was attacked last week on 7th Avenue near 54th Street.

He's still in intensive care following brain surgery. Say some prayers, send some healing, stay safe everyone.

And hope you're up and writing again soon, Randy.

Theater Journalist Randy Gener Recovering From Brain Surgery After Assault

Updated On: 1/25/14 at 02:00 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/25/14 at 2:02pm

And thanks, BWW News Desk, for leading the charge in posting about Randy.

UPDATE: Candlelight Vigil For Theater Journalist Randy Gener Set for Sunday

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/25/14 at 2:06pm

Saying a prayer for Randy Gener and hopes he pulls through. If I can make it into the city tomorrow I will attend the vigil.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#3Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/25/14 at 7:59pm

NYPD are asking anyone who may have witnessed the attack or aftermath to call Detective Enis, 18th Precinct, at (212) 767-8400. To expedite, callers should reference Case File #485.

CarlosAlberto
#4Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/25/14 at 8:06pm

I really hope they get some leads.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#5Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/25/14 at 10:59pm

Bill Ritter of WABC-NY is covering this on the 11 PM news

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#6Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/26/14 at 1:11am

How terrible. Please update us as you hear more, folks. Does anyone have information on the statistics of hate crimes in NY? Has the number gone up dramatically in the last two years or are we just hearing about them more consistently? Either way, my thoughts are with RAndy Gener.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/26/14 at 6:41am

Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener

For those who are able to help:

Our dear friend, Randy Gener is currently recovering in the ICU from brain surgery.
He was reportedly assaulted on January 18th, shortly before 4am after leaving a party in midtown, and was found in the vicinity of 7th Avenue near 54th/55th Street. He is said to have suffered severe head trauma, from which he is currently recovering in the Neuro ICU.

We created this campaign to raise funds for his medical expenses. Any amount would be greatly appreciated.

For Randy Gener

Updated On: 1/26/14 at 06:41 AM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#9Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/26/14 at 6:44pm

Thanks for posting all of the information, PalJoey. So awful. I can barely think about it without wanting to throw up.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#10Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/26/14 at 8:17pm

How awful! Praying for him!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#11Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/27/14 at 12:17pm

They've released a sketch of the suspect and more details:

Randy Gener Assault Suspect: Please Read, New Yorkers

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#12Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/27/14 at 4:50pm

Update.

The suspect punched theater journalist Randy Gener, 46, in the face at about 3 a.m. on Jan. 24, near 840 Seventh Ave. and 54th Street, knocking him to the ground and causing him to hit his head on the sidewalk, police said.

The suspect then fled in a gray four-door Nissan with Mississippi plate number KAT397 police said. Authorities described him as standing approximately 6 feet tall, weighing 160 pounds, with short black hair. He was last seen wearing black jeans and a black jacket, police said.

The suspect was with another man and two women, police sources said. After he allegedly punched Gener, one of the women shouted "What the f--- did you do that for?" before they fled, according to sources.

A nearby cab driver took down the Nissan's license plate number, and it was last seen going over the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge shortly afterward, sources said.

Police Seeking Suspect in Possible Hate Attack on Gay Journalist, NYPD Say

CarlosAlberto
#13Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/27/14 at 4:55pm

Hope they catch this mutherfukker and he pays for what he did.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#14Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/27/14 at 6:09pm

You would think a license plate and witnesses would be pretty damning. Why haven't they caught this guy already?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 1/27/14 at 06:09 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#15Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/27/14 at 8:22pm

He's as good as caught.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#16Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/27/14 at 8:25pm

Lovely article in the Wall Street Journal, of all places.

Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener

WSJ: Hate Crimes Unit Investigating Midtown Attack

Updated On: 1/27/14 at 08:25 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#17Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/28/14 at 8:30am

Justice for Randy Gener Facebook page

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#18Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/28/14 at 10:24am

And the NY Times finally covered it.
NY Times: Midtown Attack Investigated as Hate Crime

FindingNamo
#19Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/28/14 at 11:02am

Why did I always assume knowing the make and plate number of the car of the attacker made things move more quickly?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#20Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/28/14 at 11:31am

People do desperate things when they know they're being hunted. He's probably waiting for stolen plates. But he has nowhere to go and sooner or later one of the other 3 people in the car will feel guilty and snitch.

===

In response to the incident involving Randy Gener, The New York City Anti-Violence Project will be organizing a Community Safety Night this Friday, January 31st 2014 in Hell’s Kitchen and Midtown West, Manhattan. We will meet at AVP’s main office for brief safety training at 6pm and then travel to Hell’s Kitchen and Midtown West together. Refreshments and Metrocards will be available.

For more information email RJ Mendoza at rmendoza@avp.org or call at 212-714-1184 ext 29.

Liza's Headband
#21Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/28/14 at 11:37am

Do you know Randy?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#23Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/29/14 at 9:37am

Amen. Lets hope they got the right guy and got enough evidence on him.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24Prayers and Healing for Randy Gener
Posted: 1/29/14 at 12:16pm

It seems like there's no possibility of false arrest. The only question is what he will be charged with.

It sounds like the woman who "bumped" into Randy is the real cause of what happened and that the suspect "came to her aid," but since she didn't kick Randy or punch him in the face, I doubt she will be charged.

Anyone who knows Randy knows that the likelihood of him starting this fight is zero.

More details from the Times and the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/nyregion/police-arrest-queens-man-in-midtown-attack-on-journalist.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2014/01/29/arrest-made-in-midtown-attack-on-journalist/