Hedwig Previews

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#150Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 7:35am

A voice of some dissent here.

Full disclosure: I’ve never been a huge fan of the material or NPH. Both are fine, but I’ve never been wowed by either and had hoped this might turn me around on both counts. It did not.

The show wasn’t unentertaining, but what I saw was Neil Patrick Harris in a wig and makeup playing at being a girl. He works his ass off singing and dancing, gives 110%, but not for a single second did I believe I was seeing a character onstage. I didn’t see the original production, but I’ve seen the movie and saw Anthony Rapp do it 11 years ago in Pittsburgh. Both JCM and Rapp disappeared into that character. NPH is still doing his hammy NPH thing.

The band sounds great, the design is boring, and the direction is serviceable, but uninspired. Even sitting in the front row, where you bear close witness to the bells-and-whistles theatrics of his performance, it was unmemorable and unmoving.

Perhaps it’s time for me to finally accept that neither he nor the show are my cup of tea.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

center
#151Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:08am

Now that I've seen it a second time (arrived at 4:00 for SRO, by the way, and they sold 8 tickets; I got the 3rd, which was all the way house right and the view was outstanding), I was every bit as blown away, but in a more imbalanced way. I agree that "Tear Me Down" and the front end of the monologue has moments where it's more NPH in drag than Hedwig - not for lack of effort, but it's just not seamless yet. I could really see him working at the choreography vs. it looking like an expression of the song. I found his "Origin of Love" to be breathtaking, partly because he is just in great voice and partly because I love the design and think it works so well for that song. "Sugar Daddy" is when I think he really starts owning the drag, and then by "Wig in a Box", I couldn't think anymore because I was so entranced. I spent most of the last two songs ugly crying in total awe.

I'm thinking about trying for rush/SRO for the Sat 10 p.m. performance to see if there really is a difference in that later show. I'm curious how they're going to handle it with two shows so close together; it doesn't seem like a great idea, for example, to have a big crowd shrieking outside while he's really moving towards the climax of the show.

themysteriousgrowl
#152Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:14am

^"Sugar Daddy" was easily the highlight for me.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#153Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:17am

Growl, I have to somewhat join in you dissent this morning. Finally saw the show last night and I thought something was missing. It certainly isn't NPH's effort, as he worked the stage like crazy, but he reminded me more of Alan Cumming's Emcee than of Hedwig.

Unlike you I'm a fan of the show, or at least most of the score; "Origin of Love" is a particular favorite of mine. The book scenes just felt like his award show hosting schtick though, and I found myself bored with the story in the first half hour.

I didn't mind all the changes to the book, but I agree with the above poster that it makes Hedwig's age implausible. The Hurt Locker song was funny, but all the business of booking the theater for one night on Broadway frankly reminded me of All About Me!

I enjoyed hearing the score and NPH deserves credit for expending the most energy on stage this season, but I wasn't won over as much as some others here.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#154Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:26am

"I'm curious how they're going to handle it with two shows so close together; it doesn't seem like a great idea, for example, to have a big crowd shrieking outside while he's really moving towards the climax of the show."

If the shows are at 7 and 10, he should be finishing up at 8:30p, so... I'm not sure why you would think people would be lined up 90 minutes in advance outside the theater for a reserved seating show?! I wouldn't even be leaving my apartment until after 9 if I were going...

And one imagines the cast isn't coming out to sign in between those shows. So, not seeing any issues...

center
#155Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:29am

I'm talking about the lotto, which should happen from 8:00-8:15ish. And I actually have been laughing when I've been in the SRO line, because there absolutely have been people with tickets lined up at 6:30-7:00, even the other night when it was cold and rainy.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#156Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:36am

I've no clue why anyone with a ticket would show up early. It's OK to be excited, but wanting to get there really early to sit in the seat you've already been assigned seems a bit strange. If I get there 15 minutes to showtime, I feel a bit early, though, heh.

I imagine if there is a problem, they'll address it. Or just do the lottery over by the stage door or somesuch.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#157Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:42am

Are they selling posters in the box office area/lobby after the show, btw?

Thinking of getting my signed Hedwig poster sorted after I see Mothers and Sons tomorrow, but not sure if I need to sort the poster out in advance or whether I can grab one before the crowd seeing the show lets out.

center
#158Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 9:02am

That's a good question - they have a merch display in the box office lobby, but they're actually selling it in a little adjacent nook/room just behind the box office that opens to the house. I don't think you could get in there before the show lets out. You might be able to squeeze in as they open the doors and then come right back out, but by that time you probably wouldn't be able to get close enough to the stage door rails to get it signed easily.

brdway411
#159Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:29am

I looked at the Merch last night after the show upstairs in the lobby, they have it displayed upstairs but no booth set up after the show. I think they are only selling in the nook area.

A HUGE shout out to my friend, Sam Hill for the wonderful work he did on the helmet NPH wears when he enters. Amazing work Sam, always love your stuff.

Updated On: 4/9/14 at 11:29 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#160Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:47am

"the design is boring"

To be fair, Growl, they are only using the set left by the previous show, so not sure how you can fault them for that...

brdway411
#161Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:50am

LOL ^^^^

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#162Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 4:13pm

that is pretty funny, but if anyone gets a chance, ask the cast about the gameroom in the basement that *was* left behind by the former cast.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#163Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 12:35am

Seating help please -

Front row center mezz OR orch center aisle row J

Thanks!

April Saul
#164Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 12:56am

I'd go for orchestra side row J...particularly if it's on across from the side of the house with the odd numbers, where there's a small set of stairs that NPH and the others use to come down into and through the audience.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#165Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 8:57am

Thanks, April Saul.

One more sorry - how about front row center orch? too close/stage too high? too wet? :)

themysteriousgrowl
#166Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 9:26am

dshnookie, we sat front row center orch, and we were pretty much looking straight up the whole time. You're right up against the action, so you do catch every twitch and tick on the actors' faces, especially Neil, who spends a lot of time accosting patrons and crawling and prowling the stage in front of you... but I did slouch all the way down in my seat early on and rested my head on the back of my chair to save myself from neck strain.

April Saul
#167Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 9:32am

nookie, I was BB2, sadly not on the side that NPH gives you a lap dance (the little stairway to the audience is only on the other side) but I got a great deal on the ticket and it was amazing all the same. Even though he didn't dance with me or kiss me, I was inches away from him often, so totally recommend front row center or sides!

And I haven't weighed in on Hedwig yet, but I went last night and absolutely LOVED it. Had heard the score before but never seen the movie or the previous production so I can't compare, but my face hurt from smiling so much, I was rocking out in my seat and pretty much floated out of the theater; last time I felt that way was Book of Mormon. Would love to go back and bring my kids!

HBBrock
#168Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 10:16am

I bought tickets in Mezzanine Row F Seats 6 and 8...how are these seats for this show?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#169Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 2:13pm

Those seats are alright, I think this show is a lot more fun when you're a little closer to the action though.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#170Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 2:20pm

It's a bit late asking about seat locations after you bought them, no?! Hedwig Previews

If you read this thread, and you're not in BB1 or BB3, I have no clue what to tell you...

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#171Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 2:25pm

I know, right? I got those seats for April 25th! Hedwig Previews

HBBrock
#172Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 4:28pm

Of course I know I bought the tickets already. Unfortuately, while I would love to sit closer - that's where my budget allows.

Has anyone sat in Row F of the mezz?

broadfan327
#173Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 7:45pm

They are doing the second lotto on Saturday at the corner of the block, instead of in front of the theater, we were told at the lotto today.

DebraR
#174Hedwig Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 7:50pm

Did they mention if this is the only time they will do a second lottery? My daughter and I arrive in NY on the 13th and will be in town through the 21st. Would love to give the lottery a shot and two shots in a day sounds good!