#1CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/4/14 at 8:54pm

why wasn't she cast
and what would anyone think about a dIane paulus version

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/4/14 at 8:57pm

Maybe if you added more question marks we could give you a better answer.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#2CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/4/14 at 9:01pm

if Paulus was to adapt Cabaret the emcee would be a ringmaster!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/4/14 at 9:03pm

And he already wears rings all over his body!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Gothampc
#4CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/4/14 at 9:20pm

I think she would have been terrific 20 years ago. I think she's a bit old for the role now. I think Sally should be young. I thought that Natasha Richardson was a bit too old to do the role when she played it as well.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/4/14 at 9:44pm

How about an elderly Cabaret? You could than have Joel Grey & Liza back together again.

Poster Emeritus

AEA AGMA SM
#6CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/4/14 at 11:52pm

"I thought that Natasha Richardson was a bit too old to do the role when she played it as well."

I'm not sure I would call 35 too old to play the role.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/5/14 at 3:37am

Why? Who the hell would know? Couldn't you ask that about ANY actress? You don't even know that she'd be interested OR was considered. But, yes, she's too old at 45(ish). And, I think she's too "strong" a type, too mature (regardless of her actual age).

Paulus would likely have a great take on this, but the ART in Boston did a production only a few years ago (with Amanda Palmer), so they wouldn't be ready for another production.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/5/14 at 8:12am

I think Michelle Williams is about the same age Natasha Richardson was when she played the part.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/5/14 at 11:23am

I think Catherine Zeta-Jones would have been fantastic as Sally about 10-15 years ago when her acting was less mannered (though I did love her Desiree the night I saw her, but it sounds like she was uneven throughout the run). She'd be different, less vulnerable and desperate than Liza, but I think that'd still be a valid interpretation of the role, it'd add something to her sense of delusion. Remember when the rumor came out that Rob Marshall was thinking about doing a film version closer to the show? She'd have been ideal in that.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Gothampc
#10CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/5/14 at 11:51am

"I'm not sure I would call 35 too old to play the role."

But when it's played by a younger actress, the pathos comes out more. Sally is enjoying the freedom that comes with youth. A young person can make mistakes and they are instantly forgiven. Then darkness comes and Sally is denied her chance to grow up.

An older Sally, you might think that by this time in her life, some of life's lessons have sunk in and mistakes are not as easily forgiven.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/5/14 at 12:18pm

CZJ was in talks for the movie musical remake. Thankfully, that never happened.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Brick
#12CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/5/14 at 12:35pm

As I recall, so was Renee Zelweger. I, too, am very happy that never materialized.

Not to hijack the thread, but there were also talks to bring Alan and Natasha back for the closing of the production and film it. Mendes scuttled the plans, as he said he dislikes stage performances filmed, that they neither work as a film performance nor a stage one, at that point.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#13CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/5/14 at 1:10pm

Brittany Murphy would've been transcendent.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

SweeneyLovett Profile Photo
SweeneyLovett
#14CZJ Cabaret???
Posted: 4/5/14 at 7:38pm

I'd have loved to have seen Brittany Murphy in the role. Such a shame she passed away before she could play it.