pixeltracker

THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18- Page 5

THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18

decotodd
#100THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 1:55pm

Oh, that is a lovely musical for MOTHER'S DAY. Enjoy!

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#101THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 2:27pm

I knew it was coming but my heart still sank last night at the news. Very sad indeed. THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#102THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 2:27pm

Looking at the box office, I can't believe it isn't doing better, because so many musicals are selling well you would think a rising tide lifts all boats. And it looks like the people who are going are all sitting at the back of the theater or getting big discounts as the % of potential gross is even lower...

Just very strange how well literally every other new musical is doing.

hundredsofhats
#103THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 5:42pm

[Tell me how a nothing confection like Aladdin , who everyone said was dead in Toronto, is now a huge success & quality theater like this is a failure.]

Apologies in advance if this has been said before on this board, but Aladdin underwent a huge overhaul before it came from Toronto to Broadway, and they were making changes right up until opening night. It was a fantasy before it was a comedy, and that probably shows this particular story nowadays can't be successful unless it's presented with levity and self-awareness. It wouldn't have been as successful if it opened on Broadway as a "Musical Fantasy".

I listened to some of the songs in Bridges, and without a doubt, Kelli O'Hara's vocal work is stunning. The romance sounds dramatic and compelling, and the critique it gives on marriage and its exploration of small-town life is quite compelling. It sounds like a very intimate story, but for a musical it would seem to need a broader backdrop. As a play it might have been more successful. Either that, or maybe if Bud was an antagonist to add some active conflict.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#104THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 7:02pm

I really loved this show. I wasn't sure about it because I hated the artwork and TV ad, but thought I would check it out anyway because of the top rate cast and creative team. As pathetic as it sounds that night I couldn't sleep properly because I couldn't stop thinking about the show and I just had to post about it (in the preview thread). I realise some have dismissed the musical here as 'mindless'. However, it really explores a romantic relationship between two people in much more detail than any other musical I can think of (this is of course possible not just through the writing but because given there are only two real characters they had a lot more time to explore this than other shows). I've also said this a few times but this is exactly what a musical called PASSION should have been.

|

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

rjm516
#105THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 7:16pm

^ Agree with you! I listen to the CD every day and parts of it are so gorgeous it just makes me cry every time. (I need to stop listening on the way to work.)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#106THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 7:19pm

Out of curiosity: was anyone else given a voucher for a free download of the cast recording when they bought their ticket? The fellow at the box office gave me and friend each one when we rushed, after we chatted for a bit. Apologies if this was discussed elsewhere.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

indytallguy
#107THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 7:22pm

Pretty sure that Passion works just fine as it is, particularly given that is based on more compelling source material than Bridges and features its own gorgeous music and singing.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#108THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 7:23pm

Anyone who writes this off as just a wife cheating on her husband with a sexy man is really oversimplifying it.

"What in your opinion were the flaws in the campaign and how could they have improved?"

Whenever I would see the ad, I would get excited due to the people involved. However, whenever other people were in the room they would say things like "Um...so what is that about?" or "Why would they make a musical out of THAT movie?" or "That doesn't look particularly interesting". The colors were off, and people had no idea what the hell it was. People on these boards hated, I mean HATED the red color scheme initially used. The colors actually PISSED them off.

I hate the ads for Aladdin because it doesn't show anything. It just says what it is, and where it is, with some of the average score in the background. They don't show any actors, any sets, nothing. Of course I know the story, but the ads make me not want to see it. It's like, please show me something.

Some of the best ads I have ever seen in the past year were for Newsies and Kinky Boots. Fun, bright, full of dancing, shiny, fast paced. They showed the best parts of both shows, in a 30 second spot. Those ads made me excited to see those shows. Bridges has some humor, it has some dancing, and the lighting design is really beautiful. If they had shown any of that, perhaps the ad campaign would not have been such a terrible disaster.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#109THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 7:31pm

"Pretty sure that Passion works just fine as it is, particularly given that is based on more compelling source material than Bridges and features its own gorgeous music and singing."

I LOVE Passion, don't get me wrong. Donna Murphy singing "Loving You" or "I Read" in particular are absolute top tier moments in musical theatre for me. However, Fosca is an ugly character (I mean more than looks) and I don't buy for a second Giorgio could ever fall in love with her. The chemistry between the two leads in Bridges and the tension between them during the first Act before they got together is the kind of passion I think is missing from Passion. Speaking of Passion, Marin Mazzie alongside an older male would have been an interesting replacement for Bridges.

"People on these boards hated, I mean HATED the red color scheme initially used. The colors actually PISSED them off. "

Yes truly awful. I'm annoyed I have the playbill with the old colours. There was nothing romantic about it.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Sutton Ross
#110THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 7:34pm

Yes, Kad. The promo had just started so the manager had to give me the voucher because the box office person didn't know what I was talking about. It worked out great.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#111THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 7:44pm

Yeah, the literal covered bridge was really really drab. The new logos tout the romance of the story more, rather than the physical bridges. If you were unfamiliar with the story you'd have had no idea it was a love story.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

rjm516
#112THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 9:03pm

Oh my goodness I did not realize that that awful red bridge picture was used as the main logo and on the playbill for chrissakes! That's HORRENDOUS. I'm so glad I have the playbill with the beautiful purply-blue picture of the two leads. Hot damn, who approved that initial one? Yikes.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#113THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 9:20pm

Has anybody sat in the last two rows of the rear mezz? How is the view?

Sutton Ross
#114THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 9:25pm

I sat in the mezz in the last row (before moving to row B because there was no one there) and it was a great view.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#115THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 9:28pm

It not a big theater. You will be fine.

Poster Emeritus

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#116THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 10:18pm

I realize that no one can predict the future, but in case anyone has more experience with these things or knows someone involved with the show: what do people think is the likelihood that this announcement will be reversed if it manages to drum up enough ticket sales from people who had been meaning to see it but hadn't gotten around to it yet? I have a ticket to see it on June 11th, and got the email notice about the closing. I was wondering if I should just request the refund and book something else or hold out a bit longer in case the decision gets reversed?

I would have been interested in checking out Holla If you hear me with the 5000 points discount that is only valid today, but they don't have a performance on June 11th and that is my only open slot on that trip with the bridges cancellation (unless the cancellation gets reversed).

Thanks in advance for any insights.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#117THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 10:41pm

or hold out a bit longer in case the decision gets reversed?

I wouldn't hold out. Decisions like this rarely get reversed. I can't think of many other shows besides the A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC revival that cancelled their closings.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#118THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 10:46pm

Thanks

After Eight
#119THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 11:06pm

"Oh, that is a lovely musical for MOTHER'S DAY"

In what way is a musical about a mother engaging in adultery a lovely musical for Mother's Day?

Updated On: 5/2/14 at 11:06 PM

boom3
#120THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/2/14 at 11:57pm

Francesca has to chose between running off with Robert or staying to be there for her family...as a mother, that's a perfect Mother's Day dilemma.

***Edited a spoiler :)

Updated On: 5/3/14 at 11:57 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#121THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/3/14 at 12:01am

I would label that a spoiler, lol.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#122THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/3/14 at 12:03am

The book and film are each nearly twenty years old. The spoiler window has closed.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#123THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/3/14 at 12:08am

I had never heard of or been exposed to either before the musical. Although, my mother loves the film. I'd imagine this is the case for many early/mid 20's who are discovering the material through the musical.

Updated On: 5/3/14 at 12:08 AM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#124THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY to Close May 18
Posted: 5/3/14 at 12:18am

^ That would mean you would have to give a spoiler warning for every plot twist or unexpected plot point in any piece of media because someone somewhere might not have been exposed to it.

******Spoiler alert******

Jesus rose on the third day.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad