Rumors - Neil Simon

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#1Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/17/14 at 3:19pm

Read some reports awhile back of an all star reading of Neil Simon's Rumors in addition to a mention on Playbill of upcoming shows. Any word if this production will manifest?

Never saw or read this show and it's been awhile since Doc had a play on Broadway I saw Prisoner of Second Avenue with Jeff Goldblum in London and The Sunshine Boys with Danny DeVito in LA and surprised that neither transferred.

Dessie
#2Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/17/14 at 4:32pm

Brighton. Beach Memoirs closed after a week in 2009. Broadway Bound was supposed to follow and they wisely chose to not open it. For whatever reason The audience just isn't there for Mr.Simon.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#2Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/17/14 at 4:38pm

If they have the cast from the reading, Short, Broderick and Andrea Martin, it would definitely have an audience. However, since Broderick has committed to the Terence McNally play this fall,and Martin is also committed, my guess is it won't happen next season.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

PlayItAgain
#3Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/17/14 at 4:59pm

well actually Martins production of Noises got pushed to the 15-16 season so she technically isnt tied down to anything next season, yet.

VernonGersch
#4Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/17/14 at 5:42pm

Martin Short I read recently got a gig on a new Fall tv show....guess it's unlikely he'll be doing this. And with Broderick already committed to a show, sounds like it's more likely than not that this production won't be happening

Bummer

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#5Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/17/14 at 7:19pm

I saw the same L.A. production with DeVito that you did. I thought it was "OK" and as I recall you were even more critical of it than I was. No surprise for me at least, that it didn't transfer. Unfortunately, while perfect for the 1960's-early 90's, tastes have changed and most of Simon's plays just feel very dated and old in 2014 when people really want something a little more edgy or contemporary. What people thought, talked and joked about in 1978 just isn't that relevant or as hilarious in 2014. Sure, there are lots of revivals still being done, but most are musicals that have classic scores going for them. If he was still writing new stuff with a more contemporary voice, then perhaps something might happen on Broadway but the disastrous showing for Brighton Beach Memoirs in 2009 basically said clearly that even though the critics still gave the show high marks, the public just simply wasn't interested. I would not expect to see a major revival mounted any time soon. Of course, I've been surprised before.

Of course, he's had an incredible run. He turns 87 shortly and there are worse things in life than relaxing and enjoying the home stretch with the still gorgeous Elaine Joyce.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/17/14 at 7:24pm

Simon has a very large body of work, but I'd say that only a very small handful of his plays have really stood the test of time (Brighton Beach, Biloxi Blues, Lost in Yonkers, and Rumors, I'd say, are his best).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

VernonGersch
#7Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/18/14 at 12:22pm

Fisherman Bob. Very well stated

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#8Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/18/14 at 3:29pm

BTW Vernon, The Odyssey Theater in West Hollywood is mounting Broadway Bound this summer, directed by (but not starring) Jason Alexander. I've seen many shows at the Odyssey and it will no doubt be a quality production. Haven't heard the casting except that the great Allan Miller will be playing the grandfather, a role he was cast to play on Broadway had the 2009 revival gone forward. Might be worth checking out once they announce the specifics.

Odyssey Theater

Tink2 Profile Photo
Tink2
#9Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/18/14 at 5:05pm

Longtime fan of Neil Simon. Great post FishermanBob. He does have a vast body of work. My favorites are Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple and Sweet Charity.

VernonGersch
#10Rumors - Neil Simon
Posted: 5/18/14 at 8:00pm

Fisherman Bob thank you for that advice. Never saw Broadway Bound and love the idea of finally getting a chance to see it.

Videos