pixeltracker

New "Broadway Worldwide" is set to film two-four Broadway Musicals a year

New "Broadway Worldwide" is set to film two-four Broadway Musicals a year

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#1New "Broadway Worldwide" is set to film two-four Broadway Musicals a year
Posted: 10/10/14 at 3:50am

So Broadway Worldwide is teaming up with Chinese giant Bruno Wu (founder of one of the biggest private media and investment companies in China) to film two-four Broadway Musicals a year.

As it looks like Bruce Brandwen is the only one in the business who can put all unions together and make them agree to actually release a show, and money is in place, it seems this might actually happen this time.

What do you guys think?

"Upcoming additions to the library have yet to be announced, but according to Bruce Brandwen, CEO of Broadway Worldwide, the company is in negotiations with three shows and in preliminary discussions with four more."

http://variety.com/2014/legit/news/broadway-musicals-direct-from-broadway-china-1201316298/

http://www.BroadwayonDVD.com

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.
Updated On: 10/10/14 at 03:50 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2New
Posted: 10/10/14 at 4:04am

I would love to have more Broadway shows on DVD if they plan to release them and not just show them in movie theaters but 4 shows a year sounds a little optimistic.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#2New
Posted: 10/10/14 at 8:13am

BroadwayWorldwide usually release all of their recordings on DVD, so i'd assume these would be just the same. As these "plans" are usually just wishful thinking when it comes to Broadway (due to 8 unions you have to deal with), it'd be amazing if they'd even get to record 1-2 a year. Out of all the ones who tried (The Hot Ticket, BroadwayHD,...) it seems BroadwayWorldwide is the only one that actually has the ability to record anything.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

Brian07663NJ
#3New
Posted: 10/10/14 at 11:24am

Dear Actors, Unions, and all worried this this might stop people from attending live theater because the shows are recorded...

I WILL STILL ATTEND AND PURCHASED THE DVD TOO!!!

I really like that this is happening. Although a DVD recording is in no way a substitute for attending the show live it is wonderful that shows will be recorded for future generations to see. I do not in any way think this is impact those who want to attend the show in the theater.

Thank you for making this happen!

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#4New
Posted: 10/11/14 at 4:32am

I think it took a few years, but producers now have enough data to support the idea of a filming actually helping a production's future.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5New
Posted: 10/11/14 at 8:07am

If I lived in NYC I'd still attend shows, but given I live 10,000 miles away I will actually say that these recordings will potentially make me travel less to see shows in NYC. It'll save me thousands of dollars, thankfully. Thousands of dollars that won't be spent on hotels, flights, restaurants and full-price tickets to shows that can help your economy. But I'm probably the minority.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/11/14 at 08:07 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#6New
Posted: 10/11/14 at 9:17am

^Depending on whether or not that 'filmed show' is still running.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#7New
Posted: 10/11/14 at 9:57am

Data from past showings do show that you're indeed in the minority, qolbinau (I'm talking "Legally Blonde" and "Memphis", for example). As much as theose recordings are great, a DVD can't really substitute a trip to NY (or the West End), good resturants, and a live performance.

Updated On: 10/11/14 at 09:57 AM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#8New
Posted: 10/11/14 at 11:39am

while these potential DVD's will not make up for a real live visit to a Broadway stage, in my mind they will be better than some of the touring shows that bus and truck in and out of some cities in 3 weeks or less...bringing less than true Boradway production values with them...I say HOORAY!

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#9New
Posted: 10/12/14 at 9:48am

And also a new revenue stream for those tours, Memphis sold those DVDs like hotcakes

Updated On: 10/12/14 at 09:48 AM

ShowTuneHealer Profile Photo
ShowTuneHealer
Posted: 10/12/14 at 5:58pm

Updated On: 10/12/14 at 05:58 PM

Videos