pixeltracker

CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for having kinky sex- Page 5

CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for having kinky sex

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#100CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:50pm

Henrik, I don't think anyone would disagree with you that ALL victims of sexual abuse should be treated with respect. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case (in fact, I'd venture to say it isn't the case MOST of the time), and I don't think it's out of place to point out that women and minorities often have their allegations of abuse scrutinized far more than others. And they often have their claims scrutinized along gendered/sexualized/racial lines.

That's what is at issue here, I think. That's what the article I linked to is trying to put in context.

The Dan Savage piece that PalJoey linked does a pretty good job addressing the role misunderstanding kink can play in cases of abuse. It's worth a read, but Savage boils it down to the essentials in one tweet:

"I oppose the demonization of consensual kinksters. I despise abusers who cover for their crimes by claiming to be consensual kinksters."

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#101CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/30/14 at 6:02pm

Jian Gomeshi's lawsuit (Statement of Claim) against the CBC:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/244950856/Jian-Ghomeshi-v-The-Canadian-Broadcast-Corporation

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
Updated On: 10/30/14 at 06:02 PM

Platypus
#102CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/30/14 at 6:21pm

I thought this article did a good job of explaining why women don't report sexual assault: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jill-amery/post_8544_b_6063898.html

I really don't think that reporting sex crimes is comparable to reporting other types of crimes. Sex crimes are often committed in private with no witnesses, which leads to every last detail about the accuser's behaviour and actions being scrutinized in order to damage their credibility. The crime likely leaves the victim feeling violated and "dirty," then you expect them to report to strangers, relive the incident over and over, and allow their already violated body to be examined by random doctors? I think it's easy to accuse these women of being stupid for not reporting it, but I really don't think you can judge until it happens to you.

I also don't think it's about Jian's "celebrity" status. The average person may be less likely to believe that a public figure is capable of this kind of monstrous behaviour, but I sincerely hope that the police wouldn't be influenced by the level of "fame" of the accused. I live in Toronto, and half the people that I have talked to about this story haven't even heard of him. So to answer the question about how "powerful" he is, I'd say not at all. He can certainly afford big shot lawyers and PR firms (yet his PR firm just dropped him), but beyond what money can buy, his influence is minimal.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#103CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/30/14 at 10:00pm

I have been a younger woman with an older more successful/sophisticated man.
The power dynamic is totally unequal. I note he doesn't seem to try his game on a woman with any real life experience, whose personal validation comes from her own success. A younger more insecure and vulnerable female is infinitely more exploitable and thus more likely to be a choice victim.

Oh and FYI I was never beaten by my older inamorata but i was manipulated and sexually and psychologically exploited. It took me years to forgive him and years more to forgive myself. Updated On: 10/30/14 at 10:00 PM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#104CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/30/14 at 10:30pm

A second woman has revealed her identity while describing allegations of abuse against her by former CBC radio personality Jian Ghomeshi.

RELATED STORIES

Reva Seth, author of the book The MomShift and lawyer, wrote an account of her experience with Ghomeshi in a blog post published by Huffington Post Canada on Thursday, making the total number of women accusing him of being violent towards them nine.

In 2002, Seth, then 26, met Ghomeshi when she was starting a new job at city hall and a masters program at Osgoode Hall Law School. Upon first meeting him at a grocery store, she found him "funny and charming," and started seeing him casually.

She writes that over the course of a summer, they attended a couple of parties together and watched a movie at his house.

"I was seeing other people and I'm pretty sure he was also."

Seth says she and Ghomeshi never discussed anything related to BDSM and had "only casually fooled around — a bit of kissing."

However, on one such evening, which "started out fine," after they had a drink and smoked some marijuana, Ghomeshi's behaviour suddenly changed, she writes.

"Suddenly, it was like he became a different person," she writes. "He was super angry, almost frenzied and disassociated.

"Jian had his hands around my throat, had pulled down my pants and was aggressively and violently digitally penetrating me with his fingers," Seth recounts. "When it was over, I got up and it was clear I was really angry. My sexual interactions until then had always been consensual, enjoyable and fun.

"He gave me some weird lines about how he couldn't tell if I was actually attracted to him or not," she writes about what happened afterwards. "And somehow this was meant to explain his behaviour."

Seth says she called a cab and left right away, and Ghomeshi walked her to the door "like it was all totally normal."

She debated coming forward for fear of "judgment, online trolls, the questioning of all your other choices," as well as possible assertions that her experience was not bad or happened too long ago.

Seth also believed if she came forward, that she would be "eviscerated" because she had willingly gone to Ghomeshi's house, drank and smoked marijuana with him, and had a sexual past.

She had decided to not see Ghomeshi again, ignoring his calls and messages over the following weeks, and not to involve the police.

Seth was moved to come forward with her story after hearing Lucy DeCoutere speaking on CBC's The Current about her "remarkably similar experience" with Ghomeshi. DeCoutere, who played Lucy on Trailer Park Boys, first detailed her allegations against Ghomeshi to the Toronto Star, along with seven other women who have asked not to be identified.

In a brief Facebook post Thursday, Ghomeshi thanked his supporters and said he will not be speaking with the press about the allegations, but that he intends to meet them head-on.

Shortly before any allegations became public, CBC fired Ghomeshi, who had worked for the public broadcaster for 14 years. They announced on Thursday that they were hiring a third-party company to investigate allegations against Ghomeshi.

On Thursday afternoon, Ghomeshi's crisis communications firm Navigator and PR agency rock-it promotions both stated that they would no longer be representing him.

Ghomeshi filed a $55-million defamation and breach of trust lawsuit against the CBC on Monday, in which he alleged his former employer had made a "moral judgment" about his sexual preferences, including bondage and rough sex, which he described in a Facebook post on Oct. 26.

Torstar News Services

yeah. Totally "bitches be crayzee"

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#105CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 9:06am

Jian Ghomeshi was dumped by Navigator, the high-profile crisis management firm retained to protect his public image, because the company believed Ghomeshi lied to them, sources have told the Star.
“He lied to the firm,” said a source with knowledge of the situation.
According to the sources, until late Sunday night, Navigator was “buying (Ghomeshi’s) story” that it was a jilted ex-girlfriend who had manufactured lies that Ghomeshi was abusive. One source said the former CBC radio star had convinced the firm that there were no other allegations and there was nothing to be “concerned” about.
Then, as the Star reported between Monday and Thursday that at least eight women were making serious allegations of assault or sexual harassment against Ghomeshi, the firm decided at a series of meetings that it could not represent someone who, in their opinion, had lied.
News that Navigator, as well as publicity firm Rock-it Promotions, was parting company with Ghomeshi came Thursday, the same day a ninth woman went public with her allegations.
Related videos
Jian Ghomeshi situation sparks intense online debateJian Ghomeshi situation sparks intense online debate•••••
The Star was not able to determine if Rock-it dropped Ghomeshi for the same reason. A source with knowledge of the Rock-it situation said that the firm, which had been with Ghomeshi for two years (Navigator was a recent hire) was disappointed as more and more allegations surfaced.
“Here was a guy (Rock-it) believed in, and it didn’t turn out that way,” a source told the Star.
Both companies issued releases Thursday afternoon announcing they had cut ties with Ghomeshi, but neither said why.
Generally, firms that do public relations or crisis communications work ask that the client disclose all relevant information so that they can manage difficult situations with full knowledge of all details.
The Star’s stories revealed much more information than the firms or CBC were aware of. The stories included allegations of sexual harassment of two CBC employees and allegations of beating, choking and in some cases biting by six women Ghomeshi met over the past decade, including Trailer Park Boys actress Lucy DeCoutere. The Star is continuing to investigate allegations from more women.
Ghomeshi, who was fired by the CBC on Sunday, wrote in a brief statement on his Facebook page on Thursday: “I intend to meet these allegations directly.”
Rock-it has been with Ghomeshi since at least 2012, when it helped him promote his high school memoir, 1982. Debra Goldblatt-Sadowski, a principal of Rock-it, was running interference for Ghomeshi this summer when the Star was asking about allegations of abusive conduct by him toward women, sources say.
Goldblatt-Sadowski and her team were working with two lawyers from Dentons LLP in Toronto, the firm that has launched Ghomeshi’s $55-million defamation suit against the CBC. Dentons did not answer a request for comment from the Star on Thursday.
Two public relations firms said Thursday they had parted ways with former CBC host Jian Ghomeshi, in the wake of assault and harassment allegations from nine women.

Two public relations firms said Thursday they had parted ways with former CBC host Jian Ghomeshi, in the wake of assault and harassment allegations from nine women.

“Going forward, Rock-it Promotions will no longer be representing Jian Ghomeshi,” said a statement from the firm, a relatively small agency whose association with Ghomeshi had helped it grow over the years. Rock-it did not respond to questions from the Star.
Navigator is a firm known for helping high-profile individuals and companies perform damage control at difficult times. Navigator issued a statement Thursday saying “the circumstances of our engagement have changed and we are no longer able to continue.” Officials say they have a policy preventing them from discussing current or former clients.
The news comes as a second woman with allegations of violence against Ghomeshi publicly identified herself.
In a piece for the Huffington Post Canada, titled “Why I Can’t Remain Silent About What Jian Did to Me,” lawyer and author Reva Seth wrote about an incident more than 10 years ago when Ghomeshi was the host of CBC television show Play. She alleges that after a dinner date, Ghomeshi grabbed her by the throat, pulled down her pants and violently penetrated her with his fingers.
“My sexual interactions until then had always been consensual, enjoyable and fun,” she wrote. “I remember he gave me some weird lines about how he couldn’t tell if I was actually attracted to him or not, and somehow this was meant to explain his behaviour … He acted like it was all totally normal and came to the door to watch me go down the stairs and get into the cab.”
Seth wrote that one of the reasons she decided to come forward was that she feels Ghomeshi has a “pattern that has certainly escalated since I knew him.”
According to the Huffington Post piece, Seth first met Ghomeshi at a Loblaws on the Danforth in 2002, when she was 26, and agreed to go for dinner with him a few days later. She wrote that they hung out a few times over the summer, never doing much more physically than kissing.
The incident Seth described happened on a Sunday night, she wrote, after the two had a drink and smoked some pot. Seth wrote that Ghomeshi became “super angry, almost frenzied and disassociated.”
She didn’t do anything after the alleged attack because “it didn’t seem like there was anything to do,” she wrote, noting she was sharing her story now in the hopes that it will help others.
There is currently no police investigation into the allegations against Ghomeshi because no one has complained, Toronto police Chief Bill Blair told reporters Thursday.
“When these crimes are committed, we need a complainant,” said Blair. “We need someone to come forward and say, ‘This is what’s happened to me,’ and we will investigate that and we will do that as quickly and compassionately as we possibly can.”
On Thursday, Ghomeshi’s profile vanished from the websites of two Canadian speakers bureaus, Keynote Speakers Canada and Speakers’ Spotlight. A cached version of the Keynote Speakers profile says: “Known for his charm, wit and sense of humour, Jian Ghomeshi is a renaissance man for the 21st century . . .
“He tailors his talks to the audience, environment and objectives of your event and blends opinions and ideas with storytelling, personal anecdotes and lessons learned from experiences throughout his life.”
Topics Ghomeshi would touch on at an event, according to Keynote Speakers, include rethinking the Canadian identity and art, activism and media.
A cached version of the Speakers’ Spotlight website notes: “As warm and witty as he is sharp and serious, Ghomeshi brings class and craftsmanship to each and every engagement, whether he’s delivering a cultural keynote, hosting an event, or interviewing a person or panel of people.”
Neither Keynote Speakers nor Speakers’ Spotlight immediately returned requests for comment. As of Thursday evening, Ghomeshi was still featured on the website for All-American Speakers Bureau in the U.S.
Ghomeshi, who has already been dropped from hosting the Giller Prize literary awards on Nov. 10, cancelled late Wednesday afternoon a speaking engagement about arts and culture that he was set to deliver on Nov. 7 in Prince George, B.C., hosted by a local newspaper.
With files from Wendy Gillis
Kevin Donovan can be reached at 416-312-3503 or kdonovan@thestar.ca .
More on thestar.com

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#106CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 10:36am

BWW does support pasting links, btw.

Platypus
#107CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 4:51pm

Looks like Amanda Palmer changed her mind and dropped him from the show: http://amandapalmer.net/blog/20141031/

FindingNamo
#108CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 4:55pm

Sometimes you DO have to ask your guests to leave your house. Just like Judy Garland with Elaine Stritch.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

javero Profile Photo
javero
#109CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:24pm

"BWW does support pasting links, btw"

EL OH EL

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#110CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:52pm

h'okay sexy!
(That is not sexual harassment- it an SNL quote from Maya Rudolph)

we knew

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#111CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 6:18pm

I like this linky ( no sausage!)
No Case

FindingNamo
#112CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 6:36pm

Should we start a betting pool for when this turns up on SVU?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#113CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:41pm

Well SVU would seem to be the most appropriate BUT I'm kinda leaning to "Person of Interest". But u might be right.

SNAFU - think Lorne will let this play on Weekend Update?

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#114CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:23pm

Update: Ghomeshi has withdrawn his lawsuit and is expected to pay $18,000 in legal costs to the CBC.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/jian-ghomeshi-withdraws-55m-lawsuit-against-cbc-1.2118519

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#115CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:28pm

An agreement whereby he has to pay their legal costs? Sounds like the CBC is being nice even calling that an agreement, rather than an ass-handing.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#116CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 11/25/14 at 10:45pm

Every Employment lawyer interviewed about this said Gomeshi had no legal standing for a lawsuit. As a unionized employee , he could only file a grievance and seek arbitration. And the union wasn't so eager to be defending an abuser, especially once those infamous videos of how you could beat someone with their consent and leave marks. THAT was what the CBC fired his ass for. ( the d!ckwad actually showed them to the CBC executives who decided they could not "condone" this behavior.) (yah think?)

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#117CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 11/26/14 at 11:09am

Arrested.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jian-ghomeshi-charged-in-sexual-assault-investigation-1.2850661
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/30572

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
Updated On: 11/26/14 at 11:09 AM

Platypus
#118CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 3/24/16 at 11:45am

The judge delivered the verdict this morning. Not guilty on all charges. As tends to happen in trials related to sexual crimes, they ripped the credibility of the victims to shreds.  

http://www.thestar.com/news/jian-ghomeshi/2016/03/24/jian-ghomeshi-verdict.html

Updated On: 3/24/16 at 11:45 AM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#119CBC fires Jian Gomeshi for beating women
Posted: 3/24/16 at 8:23pm

This was always going to be a case of "he said she said". The burden of proof/innocent til proven guilty means legally, he is exonerated. In the court of public opinion it will be a while til he can move beyond this professionally.