pixeltracker

SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!- Page 3

SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#50SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/20/14 at 10:51pm

ONE MORE BLINTZ (With Apologies to Mr. Sondheim)

One more blintz before we part,
Matzoh brei, then--farewell!
Never shall we lox again.
Just a knish and then
They break the spell.

Liver, chopped, once clogged my heart,
Kasha's now in my past.
Salami and eggs--that was my thing--
Now this onion ring
Must be my last....

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#51SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 2:11pm

We had matzo brei

and blueberry blitzes

and salami-and-eggs.

And then we got matzo ball soups and potato pancakes and kasha varnishkas to go.

Liza's Headband
#52SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 2:12pm

And then, just like that, it vanished. So long. Farewell. Best of luck in future endeavors to those at the Edison. It has been a fun ride.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#53SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 4:06pm

It's still there--go for dinner!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#54SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 4:22pm

If I lived in the city I probably would have gone again today. Really glad I got there on Wednesday.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#55SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 4:30pm

This is closing & the old Colony Records is now a Build A Bear Workshop

Times Square R.I.P.

You were great in your heyday but now you are a Disneyland East Coast.

Poster Emeritus

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#56SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 5:28pm

Oh, absolutely. After the last 20 years, THIS is the death of Times Square and the start of Disneyfication. I heard the Automat closed. Damn that Disney! Tobacco Road closed. DISNEY!

Times don't change. They DISNEY.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 12/21/14 at 05:28 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#57SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 5:38pm

When I was disneying my home from the theater this afternoon, I passed by a disney and picked up a disney since I saw people walking with disneys from disney and it made me really in the mood for a disney.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#58SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 5:44pm

The times I have been to NY from here in the UK I often met US friends here, a lot of theatre folk. So sad to hear of this closing. I agree, I've been going to NY since 88 when I was a kid, the change is tremendous, the personality seems to be vanishing, luckily the New Yorkers themselves are still a joy, that they can't seem to destroy.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#59SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 5:52pm

Thanks for acknowledging the obvious.

Next thing to go from NY might be horse drawn carriages.

Poster Emeritus

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#60SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 6:52pm

The Edison will be reborn.

In springtime.

WATCH THIS SPACE!

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#61SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 7:37pm

The next thing the building's owners will probably do is revamp the Edison's lobby. i mean that old art deco stuff is so out of date...

GAH!

I am so disgusted, I will NEVER set foot in whatever monstrosity they put in the cafe's space. And I better take some photos of that gorgeous lobby before someone actually does remodel it.

FindingNamo
#62SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/21/14 at 11:24pm

"You were great in your heyday but now you are a Disneyland East Coast."

______ never heard of Disney World.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#63SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/22/14 at 10:26am

Goodbye, Old Friend.

Thanks for the cheap eats and good comfort food.

See you 'round the Rialto.

JEREMIAH'S VANISHING NEW YORK: Cafe Edison Closes VANISHED Last night, around 7:00 pm, Cafe Edison shuttered.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#64SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/22/14 at 11:33am

They should set up a kickstarter to help remodel a new space to look exactly like the old one.

mamaleh
#65SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/22/14 at 1:03pm

Well, some of the interior of that hallowed space -- the left side of the counter and the area above the counter with menu item information -- will always live in that episode of SMASH in which Anjelica Huston's Eileen reconnected with old flame/benefactor Nick (Thorsten Kaye).

I'm so hoping they relocate. And if so, please: cabbage soup all the time, not just on matinee days! It's just as remarkable as the matzoh ball soup.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#66SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/22/14 at 1:59pm

Wondering which part of NY history , not necessarily Times Square, will be the next to go

We have lost so much over the years it is amazing we still have anything left.

Poster Emeritus

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#67SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/23/14 at 10:02am

The Nickelodeon.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#68SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/31/14 at 1:30pm

Sad thing is, Gerald Barad probably doesn't even know or care who Lin Manuel Miranda or Bobby Lopez are.

===

Dear Mr. Barad,

My first time in the Cafe Edison was on Bobby Lopez's dime. I was a struggling songwriter who had just attracted the attention of some producers with whom Bobby was working on what would become the hit musical Avenue Q. I hardly knew Bobby—I reached out to him because we went to the same high school—but I didn't know any other composers, so I timidly reached out to him for advice, and he replied, "Of course. Meet me for lunch at the Cafe Edison." I will never forget that first meeting, and Bobby's words: “This is where everything happens.”

Fast-forward to 2008. When my show In The Heights was running at the Rodgers, I came for a chicken sandwich and the world-famous matzoh ball soup before every matinee. I ate lunch there between shows on two show days. If I had family visiting from from out of town, the Edison is where we ate.

loverToday, when young composers ask me for advice, I take them to the Edison on my dime.

Mr. Barad, if nothing else, I hope this campaign helps you to understand that what you have, right there in your beautiful hotel (where I tell all visitors: “They shot a scene from The Godfather in this lobby”). You have the loyalty of an entire Broadway community, who come here for camaraderie and a place to gather as they work to survive eight shows a week, or go to six auditions a day for the right to work eight shows a week. They may go to whatever new venture you have lined up for that gorgeous space, they may not: BUT YOU HAVE THEM NOW. Why would you sever this link to the community that regards this place so highly? If the Cafe closes, the Edison Hotel itself becomes nothing but a mid-block shortcut between 46th and 47th street. You'll get our presence, but not our business.

But if the Cafe stays open, here's what happens. You are in the wonderful position of creating a genuine Christmas Miracle. You will have earned the gratitude of countless theatergoers and practitioners, not to mention the WONDERFUL Edison staff, whom we have come to know as family. The next generation of writers, producers, actors and performers will have somewhere to gather. Your establishment will be a part of their stories, and you can be the hero who spared it for them. Be the hero of this story.

Thanks for your attention and happy holidays.

Siempre,
Lin-Manuel Miranda

===

Ira Glass's 'Dear Gerald Barad' Website

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#69SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/31/14 at 1:41pm

I got teary eyed reading Lin's letter because every last word he wrote is true.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#70SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/31/14 at 4:18pm

There are others on that site that are lovely, but his is the most affecting.