Posted: 1/18/15 at 11:08pm

So youth and social skills are all a part of colorism. Okay. "Colorism."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

javero Profile Photo
javero
#26Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/18/15 at 11:16pm

@FindingNamo

If you're willing to start a thread to examine colorism in casting for screen and stage in the US, I'll join in. Perhaps it deserves its own thread. Of course, I don't mean to make any assumptions about anyone's background. You are familiar with the term, no?

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 1/18/15 at 11:16 PM

FindingNamo
#27Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/18/15 at 11:39pm

I think it remains to be seen if that's something the show will take on.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#28Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/18/15 at 11:58pm

FACT:
1. Cookie said to Luscious, "with your yella azz".
2. Cookie berated Anika with "what is disrespectful is that anchorwoman hairdo you're rockin'".
3. Cookie described Anika to Luscious as "a Halle Berry-wannabee" which speaks volumes.

My take on it, as well as that of others outside this forum, is that the show is already knee-deep in it, intentionally or otherwise. We will be watching closely to see how the lower-level thugs and the video heaux are cast on a going forward basis. As a hardened ex-con, Cookie has license to say things that the other characters wouldn't dare as they attempt to rebrand themselves before the IPO. When they met, she was the gangsta and Luscious the artist. She's no Claire Huxtable or Alexis Carrington-Colby.

FindingNamo
#29Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 12:15am

I look forward to your summaries of your group's analysis.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#30Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 1:01am

I'll be sure to take copious notes.

Seriously, I hope the creative team goes bigger with the Cookie character. That character has to live up to her street cred behind the scenes en route to redemption in the public eye. I was a lil' disappointed that the beat-down of her youngest son wasn't more graphic to further shape her character.

FindingNamo
#31Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 1:09am

Yeah me too. It woulda been better if his skull was cracked open or at least a lot of blood.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#32Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 5:24am

I'm a big fan too (and it's already renewed for a second season.) I admit, it wasn't even on my radar until I read an interview with Danny Strong and he mentioned how when he pitched the idea to Lee Daniels, Daniels was in but insisted that they also throw in a "Dynasty" element--and he created Cookie for that reason. As others have said in this thread, this is the kinda soapy stuff Daniels really should be doing (I know he only directed the first two episodes, but he's been involved apparently with story throughout the first season.) Apparently the flashback to Jamal as a kid in high heels and his dad literally throwing him in the trash is something that happened between Daniels and his own father as a child.

I guess my only worry is how long they can keep up the story momentum and manage the tone, but who cares at this point. Randomly, the actual showrunner/head writer isn't Daniels or Strong but Ilene Chaiken, who created and was showrunner on The L Word. I remember enjoying the first year or two of that show (which seemed at the time so superior to the "other" gay Showtime show, Queer as Folk,) though at some point I gave up on it. At any rate, I know its still early days, but it's nice to see the show doing so well.

I agree that even with all the wonderfully over the top stuff the gay storyline is actually fairly refreshing--I like details like that Jamal's homosexuality doesn't affect his close friendship with Hakeem even though Hakeem seems pretty clueless about how their father's homophobia affects Jamal.

Bring on Courtney Love!

Updated On: 1/19/15 at 05:24 AM

FindingNamo
#33Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 10:05am

So much background. So so soooo much behind-the-scenes. I'm going to be all After Nine (that's one better than After Eight) right now and tell you how much I long for the way showbiz was before Entertainment Tonight got everybody obsessed about behind-the-scenes minutia. All of a sudden, everybody was an opening weekend box office expert and using words like "show runner". They make people "worry" about TV shows, when people should probably just enjoy them if they do, avoid them if they don't, and not spend any time thinking about how long they will run and all that.

Cookie wouldn't give a sh*t.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#34Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 11:59am

They make people "worry" about TV shows, when people should probably just enjoy them if they do, avoid them if they don't, and not spend any time thinking about how long they will run and all that.

But isn't that each viewer's choice?

EricMontreal22
#35Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 1:12pm

I haven't watched Entertainment Tonight in ages, but I don't think its 30 second repeated celebrity blurbs ever bother talking about who a showrunner is, or anything similar. Your complaint would be better aimed at online blogs and sites like avclub. *shrug* Obviously I find it interesting who's writing a show, and if I liked what they wrote before or not--that's fine if things like that don't matter to you. But I do think reading Lee Daniels say how a scene is based on his own childhood or whatever is of interest.

I admit I do find it annoying how many people I know who proclaim they won't even try a network tv show until they know, for example, that it will be back for a second season, feeling burned too often by shows being canceled early. That's not really my issue, personally I think if a show appeals to you you should watch it until it doesn't--unless that is you want to keep watching so you can write a thread about how awful it is online (or, I guess, gets canceled--isn't it better to enjoy something while you can?) But, sure, I guess I do think about things like if Empire can keep up its momentum and if now that Daniels is not directing any episodes for a while it will stay as kinetically entertaining.

I don't think it's all that different to give a show a chance because you like what the writer has done before, the way you might watch a movie for the same reason, or I'd be more willing to listen to a new pop act if I knew they were working with a fave producer.

Bla bla bla--I won't go on for any more paragraphs this time :P I would love to read an AfterNine (!) style review of the show, though.

Updated On: 1/19/15 at 01:12 PM

javero Profile Photo
javero
#36Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 2:04pm

I like details like that Jamal's homosexuality doesn't affect his close friendship with Hakeem even though Hakeem seems pretty clueless about how their father's homophobia affects Jamal.

Yes, it's just a cable TV show but I really dislike the Hakeem character. At this point, the young man has no redeeming qualities. He uses Jamal; he's reckless; and his sense of entitlement is too extra for my taste. Oddly though, the brother with the greatest potential for character development to me is Jamal. It remains to be seen what sort of deal he'll do with the devil (or the devil's agent Cookie) to succeed his dad as the head of that empire. Perhaps the character will morph into a modern-day Richard the Lionheart. I'm also intrigued by Jamal's sister-in-law Rhonda.

FindingNamo
#37Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/19/15 at 6:12pm

Think King Lear.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#38Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/20/15 at 12:24am

Empire, the series on Fox

Bish struck da fuk outta dis pose...it's Veronika Bozeman who sang What Is Love in an early scene of the 1st episode.

Updated On: 1/20/15 at 12:24 AM

EricMontreal22
#39Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/20/15 at 1:00am

Is it wrong that I can't wait for Andre to go into a FULL third person talking manic breakdown? I mean we saw way too little of that...

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#40Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/22/15 at 1:08am

Random Thoughts--
Not as much off-the-hook fun as 1st 2 episodes.
The sex scenes with Andre this week seemed almost missionary compared to the awesome pervy-ness of past eps' scenes. But he's still smokin' hot.
Why does Puma's song sound so crappy? Even Jusse can't seem to sing it well.
Why does Cookie look so cheap at the Lyon mansion in her crappy Wilma dress and no lipstick?
What happened to her fashion plate looks in the premiere?
It's nice to see Jamal pushed enough to get a spine of steel-- that's the best development of the whole episode.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#41Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:22pm

I know it's just the way things are and it's a big thing with R&B music now, but ov overt autotune on voices that are supposed to be singing "live" makes me crazy. Unless maybe Lucisous's house has wifi autotune? I think I'd have liked Jamal's song if it sounded like it was coming from a human.

BullyHunter Profile Photo
BullyHunter
Phyllis Rogers Stone
#43Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/24/15 at 9:39pm

BIt I've only had one STD. Okay, two if you count crabs.

Updated On: 1/24/15 at 09:39 PM

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#44Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 1/24/15 at 11:13pm

Holy ****! Is this real?!

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

javero Profile Photo
javero
#45Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 2/6/15 at 7:57am

The series is not without its flaws but I find it so doggone entertaining.

Just peeped EP5 "Dangerous Bonds" directed by John Singleton. It was ok; felt sort of rushed.

Both Cookie & Andre sho nuff screwed the pooch. Andre's wife Rhonda is HARDCORE and clearly the more interesting half of the couple. To me, Andre is a total bore.

I wasn't disappointed or bored watching EP5. But, my nit is the acting of the actress in the role of Tiana. In this episode it was extra wooden like an oak tree. Neither her tryst with the side piece nor her row with Hakeem seemed authentic. I'd like for to bring it going forward because being cute on screen only takes the character so far. Even when she talk-sings the hooks in her collabos with Rakeem, her voice is so far down in the mix that she sounds like background noise.

#TeamPorsha

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#46Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 2/6/15 at 8:45am

This is the best show ever. No hyperbole. #DeadBitchWalking

EricMontreal22
#47Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 2/12/15 at 6:52am

OK, I have NEVER found Raven Simone remotely enjoyable before--but her 20 seconds were brilliant.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#48Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 2/12/15 at 9:18am

I think the show is entertaining.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 2/12/15 at 09:18 AM

EricMontreal22
#49Empire, the series on Fox
Posted: 2/12/15 at 1:52pm

I was sorta annoyed that 'Mal's boyfriend became such a wet drip (wet drip drop?) this episode, but to be fair we haven't really seen him do anything but smile and nod and kiss in past episodes.