pixeltracker

How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?- Page 5

How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#100How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/10/15 at 6:31am

I can understand people being upset, but inventing absurd things to worry about isn't going to help matters any. Barbour is not going to go and accost anybody in the cast of Matilda.

Jace2017
#101How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/10/15 at 12:09pm

On tumblr they call him "Trash Barbour".... Creative... I had a friend that saw the show this week and said he was phenomenal. No surprise.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#102How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/10/15 at 1:46pm

Again, I really wish I could see him in this role. He sounds great so far and I can only imagine he will sound even better as he settles into the role.

I am pretty sure that thing about the cast passing around a petition is fake, they seem to be rather supportive especially after hearing his side of the incident. But who knows.

BTW, I was told that he is there for a year by someone working in the show.

Please hurry up with the production photos (I was under the impression they were done even before he actually started as they usually take them at rehearsals)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

#103How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/10/15 at 6:02pm

Maybe your dream will come true Justin. Who knows what can happen? They do make new contracts. I think we just need to make our voices heard that they backed the right horse, we all want to see this show. Congrats on your inside source of info!

Guys, some of the slurs you remember seeing on other websites are not even worth a place in your memory. The attentions stunts like name-calling, starting false rumors and threats are because the show went on without them.

I remembered Barbour from Jane Eyre and Dracula, but as a phan it was only after his casting in POTO that I really fell in love with all his work. Barbour's making new fans. He is performing song after song to standing ovations. This is a time of celebration. We have one of the most talented people on Broadway doing the show now, he'll be here at least a year, and the man has a new and happy life now, his record's clean, he has a family and a career that may rise even farther with this credit under his belt. We're about to get some new production photos. There is nothing but good news-- somebody may want to change that but they can't, what little power they have is what's been given to them, that one of their comments can even live on as as a subject of ridicule on this site is too much, let their voice just fade away... Updated On: 3/10/15 at 06:02 PM

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#104How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/10/15 at 6:45pm

It really is a shame that this has gotten so out of hand, with the false and over-the-top rumormongering. It's made it so that anyone who has doubts about Barbour's casting must be lumped in with those who engage in such behavior, and it's had the exact opposite effect of what I'm sure was many upset people's intents.

That said, I'm glad to hear he's doing well as the Phantom, although I still can't entirely feel comfortable with the idea. And yes, I know, the answer is "don't see him, then" and that's irrelevant, practically speaking, in my case. He has a beautiful voice, truly, no doubt about that. It's just hard, at least for me as a young woman, not to think about the creepiness in his past and it being either utterly melodramatized and exaggerated or completely brushed aside. And it doesn't help that he's playing a role in which an older, talented man stalks, grooms/seduces, and eventually kidnaps a young woman with the intent to marry her (and, presumably, carry out all the actions tied to marriage) regardless of consent. I don't doubt he's a great actor and singer, and I think some of this has gotten blown way out of proportion, but I still feel a little uncomfortable. Just my opinion, not worth much I know.

NewYorkPulse24
#105How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/12/15 at 12:24pm

I saw the show the other night and all I can do is praise him! His voice is glorious as the phantom! I saw Norm Lewis and although Norm is one hell of an actor, James Barbour really stole the show and gives this score some beautiful sounds! He absolutly belongs in this show and Im so glad he is up there. I see the show once every few years and its actually the freshest and richest Ive seen it in years! Julia Udine is a gem! But James was great! He might actually be my favorite actor in the role! kuddos!

#106How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 5:22am

I love reading so many stories about how tremendous James' performance is. I'm getting antsy, like my time to go and write back about how on this board about how he did can't come soon enough.

I'm glad to hear that Julia's doing well too in the role NewYorkPulse24, I liked what glimpses of her I have seen and heard from recordings of the national tour, even though I did not like all of the tour itself, I think she emerged like a diamond in the rough. I can't really judge what the dimensions of her voice are until I am in the theater of course, but I think its really a pretty tone, and also think she has a passion she can harness if she has good cast members to play off of and good stage directions. So I would like to see her with James. I think she's drop dead gorgeous too, just my opinion. Could someone remind me who her understudy is? As well as who is Barbour's?

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#107How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 5:54am

^ Kaley Ann Vorhees is the Christine alternate and she is just as fabulous as Julia, imo.

Laird Mackintosh, Greg Mills and Paul Schaefer all understudy the Phantom currently.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#108How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 10:47am

Elizabeth Welch understudies Christine whenever the lead can't go on and it's not the alternate's day to perform.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#109How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 2:07pm

Blockhead24 writes: "Laird Mackintosh, Greg Mills and Paul Schaefer all understudy the Phantom currently."

I've seen Greg Mills in the role. He was incredible. He could go on full-time in my opinion.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Blockhead24
#110How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 2:12pm

Agreed.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#111How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 2:56pm

He truly has a perfect Broadway voice. It was meant to be heard live since it's just flawless. So glad this is a positive thread about his performance!

#112How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/14/15 at 1:37am

Most rightly said Sutton Ross!

I can't detect any vocal problem he has. Barbour sounds great across the vocal registers, I do not know whether he is more beautiful the higher he goes or the lower. Then there's this extremely warm, glorious color to his voice. Its "commanding" and ALW always said conveying a sense of "authority" is what lies behind a good phantom. His vocal line is very satisfactory, his phrases are sculpted clearly. The dimensions of his voice sound gargantuan (I feel that way about Brian Stokes Mitchell's voice too) and that vocal weight is one of the things that makes Barbour so easy to recognize. Though he has volume, also fairly good control of the emission of it, the piano tones are unreal, the light and shade is there. Only baritone I know with head voice like his is Anthony Warlow, but as Warlow is a lighter baritone, Barbour may be one-of-a-kind.

The former of the two is my hero as Jekyll and Hyde, his vocal range is so large I think he swaps the personas more convincingly than anyone else. Because of Barbour's versatility I wonder if he could also be an important Jekyll and Hyde? Anyway, I'm really glad he was thought of for a phantom, he has so much to bring to this role.

Thanks also everyone for giving me the scoop on all the alternates and understudies. Especially now that I hear Kaley Ann Voorhees I so agree with you Blockhead24 about her, I think her voice is really powerful and lush. In fact if I have a choice of which lady I see with Barbour, I might have to pick Kaley just for the singing experience, though I'd be interested in seeing both. :)

Sutton Ross
 Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#114How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/14/15 at 3:00pm

^Finally, a photo!

As for James, after listening to the audio of his songs; he makes other Phantoms look like high school performers. If I did see it live, it would be really wonderful to witness a performer who, to quote a friend of mine: "Made THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA to feel just as fresh as the show did back in 1988 when Crawford made the character his own".

Sutton Ross
#115How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/14/15 at 3:11pm

Wow, that is quite a quote! Yeah, he sounds perfect.

BWNUT
#116How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:43am

I'm not surprised he's getting raves.. His Jean Valjean in the La Mirada production (LA Ovation winner) is the best I've seen. I hope he takes over as Jean Valjean in the current Bway Les Miz. Just saw it. Ugh. Talk about weak. I felt ripped off even at 40% off TKTS price. James Barbour asang and acted circles around Ramin Karimloo (and that goes for the entire co)

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 05:43 AM

#117How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 4:37am

Ramin is leaving Les Mis this summer, Barbour should still be our phantom then. But if Ramin is replaced by an artist who has a limited engagement, as is this case with Earl Carpenter (replacing Will Swenson while he takes leave) there might be a window of opportunity for Barbour to hop aboard on the heels of his phantom. I think its a long shot, but here's to hoping for another year at the top James.

Ramin's London and Toronto Valjean recordings sounded strong on an interpretative level, and like he almost had the singing down. But what has emerged on the net from New York sounds like he has pushed his voice into this range until it has exhausted him. He, Caissey and Will rather than singing talked more than I have heard any Valjean, Fantine or Javert. I think Ramin is also getting nervous, I have always been able to tell that he is little shy in interviews, but his body language started getting stiff in this video, instead of the very modern and bold acting I associate him on stage.

While I don't have recordings of James Barbour's Valjean to compare, I don't think anyone would assert that Ramin Karmloo is technically a better singer than Barbour is. Ramin has a great voice, it is handsome, his belt voice well-known, but you hear in Barbour's voice a stronger foundation in musical theater, and far more control. I think Ramin has the magnetism and spirit to still take people with him, a leading man, but in Barbour I see a seasoned veteran with more life and work experience to enhance his interpretations. Ramin is an intriguing drink, but needs to keep subtly aging to bring out the full flavor. Barbour's vintage cognac.

Updated On: 3/18/15 at 04:37 AM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#118How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:43pm

Would someone that is in NYC be so kind and when next passing the theatre snap a photo of the production photo of James used in front the theatre? I am sure there is one up, and post here, thanks.

also, glad to see his mask fits and suits him well with not an over enlarged forehead as often happens with this new kind of mask

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Blockhead24
#119How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 6:49pm

^there are no pics of him outside the theater

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#120How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 7:48pm

There's a 30-second video of Barbour singing Bring Him Home on YouTube:

James Barbour performing Bring Him Home Updated On: 3/18/15 at 07:48 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#121How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 7:55pm

For anyone who has seen the show recently, can you tell me if the catch at the end of "Music of the Night" is still in? I heard reports that while Norm Lewis did it, Laird Mackintosh apparently still let Christine fall on the ground when he performed the role, so I wasn't sure if it was just a Norm thing or if it was officially implemented in the Broadway blocking. (Unless, of course, I've heard wrong and the understudies were indeed doing the catch, as well.)

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#122How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 7:58pm

"^there are no pics of him outside the theater"

What? Are they still using Norm's pictures?

Updated On: 3/18/15 at 07:58 PM

Blockhead24
#123How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 8:02pm

Where the pictures of the Phantom usually are there is a generic picture of the mask.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#124How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 8:07pm

Hmm, that's strange, but I guess not very surprising.