pixeltracker

ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews - Page 7

ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews

ionian2
#150ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/20/15 at 10:43am

promisespromises2 & _IrisTinkerbell - Thanks so much for your reassuring comments . I'm glad I won't have to crane my neck.  Thanks again! Looking forward now to seeing the show!

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#151ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/21/15 at 12:00am

At one of the early previews I sat dead front row center and I loved being that close to the performers. At the curtain call I could have reached out and shaken hands with Peter.

In fact I think that sitting that close blinded me to a few of the production's faults that I picked up on the second time I saw the show from further back.

theatreguy12
#152ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/21/15 at 12:15am

And that's the joy of theater.  Personal perspective.  And opinion.

I sat about 8 rows back in the orchestra and didn't see one fault with the show.

Loved it, in fact.

Updated On: 5/22/15 at 12:15 AM

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#153ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/22/15 at 11:37am

Just a few questions, I'll be in NYC for one day next month and desperate to catch Chenoweth in this.

Hows the back row of the mezzanine? Seems to be really good value.

If Chenoweth is out is it possible to get a refund? Not sure of all the Broadway rules.

Thanks!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#154ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/22/15 at 11:41am

It's a very small theatre, so rear mezz is totally fine.  And yes, if Cheno is out, you'll get a refund.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#155ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/22/15 at 6:07pm

^^ yup and yup

ebontoyan
#156ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/22/15 at 9:26pm

Watching for the 2nd time tonite I love it even more!!! And Peter has the swagger the understudy (but he was good too when I saw the show in Feb) didn't have!

theatreguy12
#157ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/22/15 at 9:52pm

"Watching for the 2nd time tonite I love it even more!!! And Peter has the swagger the understudy (but he was good too when I saw the show in Feb) didn't have!"

I envy you!!!  I so want to see it again.  Being in L.A. makes that a little difficult though. ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews All I can do is listen to the CD and relive it….

ebontoyan
#158ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/22/15 at 11:00pm

Theaterguy12, I know since I live in the Midwest! Planned this trip so I can watch OTTC again.  It is my fave show of 2015!

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#159ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/22/15 at 11:40pm

Has anyone sat in the rear orchestra for this show? Does any of the balcony block the view of the stage?

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#160ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/23/15 at 1:01am

The American Airlines theater was completely renovated and reopened in 2000. It's stated capacity is only 740 and you can see that the orchestra seats are banked. This is one of the most comfortable theaters on Broadway (although there are still lines for the restroom, including the men's). Even at the rear of the orchestra, you're not very far from the stage.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/american-airlines-theatre-new-york-2

The second time I saw this I thought that it dragged a bit at times in the 2nd act. But this isn't preventing me from going back for a third time next weekend.

theatreguy12
#161ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 5/23/15 at 2:45am

^^^I agree.  I found this theater very intimate, and very comfortable.  I liked it a lot.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#162ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:12am

I saw the show on Sunday for the first time since I had seen two early previews eight days apart. I had enjoyed the previews, but was impressed on how much improved it was now. I guess that's why they have previews.

The biggest improvement to me was Oscar. At the first preview I had seen James Moye in the role, and in the second Peter Gallagher just back from his illness. Today Gallagher seemed much more confident and comfortable to the point where I might begin to compare him to John Cullum, whom I only know from the OBC album. He has the bravado now and was contributing instead of detracting from OTTC.

Some of the dialog was changed in content and delivery as the cast tuned the show to what worked best with the audience. Lily in "Never" as she collapses as she utters all the torment she will inflict on Oscar says lastly that she will stab him in the eyeballs. A little different from the recording, I think, and it got a fresh laugh.

Even the "I have written a play" sequence worked as the audience anticipated, along with Oscar, the "I call it Life on the hog market committee" announcement.

After seeing the second preview I had felt a little let down, so I was happy to find that I just found it a joy today. I heard a couple after the show who liked it very much but admitted to being a little confused at the beginning by the "Veronique" flashback, which I can understand.

The audience response at curtain call was also different from the early previews I saw. At those only about half of the audience rose during the curtain call until Kristin took her bow and then most of the rest of the audience joined them.

This time 95 percent was on its feet for the porters and there was cheering as well as applause. Along with the audience approval, the cast seemed to be having such a good time that an extension seems feasible, but I guess that is up to KC.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#163ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 6:47pm

I WAS THERE TODAY AND I LOVEEEED THE SHOW!!! I think this show is super fun and cute!!! Kristin's first scene was HILARIOUS with her at the piano!! I love the score sooo much, and kristin can SING!!! All the actors and Scott Ellis found ways to make old outdated comedy fresh and funny, something that On The Town failed to do. Andy Karl and Kristin are fantastic together! I also loved MLP in the number "She's a Nut." It is HYSTERICAL and completely unexpected!! Great performances all around! Nice set too :). I really think this show is so clever! Loved it!! They didn't do any speech at the end in case you were wondering

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

ebontoyan
#164ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 8:13pm

Philly glad to hear you enjoyed the show! OTTC is MY best show for this season!! 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#165ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:02am

Its one of my favorite this season!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#166ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:06am

" On the town failed to do"

WTF