The Visit Previews

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#300The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 12:02pm

To address the criticism some people have regarding the lack of tension due to Anton's already being disliked at the top of the show:

I recall that in the original he was well liked and quite popular in the town. In a play with 3 acts this works because you have 2 acts to emphasize how his friends and neighbors are transformed by their own greed to the point that even a respected member of the community is fair game.

In a 100 minute show that luxury isn't there. In condensing the material the authors have altered the dynamic. The tension isn't "will the town really turn on their own and commit a horrible act for money", but rather "will Claire really make them do it", particularly since they have that moment at the end where it's clear that the love is still there.

That's just my take of course.  

But that's also one of the aspects I loved, that there is so much you can discuss and share after seeing this.

....but the world goes 'round

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#301The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 12:41pm

But that's also one of the aspects I loved, that there is so much you can discuss and share after seeing this.

"

For me, that hits the nail right on the head about why I love musicals, and what separates the great from the good (or bad).  If it leaves you thinking or feeling or both in ways you didn't before you saw it, then, for me, it's a great musical. (Fun Home, The Visit, and yes, Finding Neverland to an extent were that for me this season...)

And for me, in that same vein, even a mediocre or not so good show that still gives you something to think about, feel about, and (more likely in these cases) argue about, then it isn't a total failure, either.  (It Shoulda Been You was at least funny and the cast did a nice job with little to work with, Something Rotten was great fun and well staged - but I'm a musical theater buff who "got" everything they were alluding to, American in Paris was brilliantly danced, and you can't beat at Gershwin tune, but it was way too long and should have stopped after the title ballet, Honeymoon in Veags was just a fun show and didn't try to be more, which is fine, and The Last Ship was intriguing and the score magnificent, even if the plot/script was flawed...)

It's when you leave feeling un-entertained, or worse yet, nothing, that a show for me is a complete failure.  (I'm looking at you, Dr. Z...)

I didn't see Holler... but a season with 3 new shows that I loved, and only one I absolutely hated, is better than usual!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#302The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 7:49pm

For anyone who's interested, there is still a few opening night tickets left for tomorrow at 8pm.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#303The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 9:57pm

WOW, saw the show tonight and I was very moved. What a gorgeous score!!!! "You, you, you" and "Love and love alone" are beautiful additions to the musical theatre torch song canon. 

It's dark, and it's twisted, and a little weird, but the score is so beautifully haunting and I can't get the songs or the performances out of my head. This is a great piece of theatre!

Bravo!!!!

I hope it gets a BEST MUSICAL nod... and nods for the cast.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#304The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 9:59pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda went absolutely psycho crazy for the show today on Twitter! Kind of cool to see the show have such an effect on another artist/writer. 

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#305The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:39pm

I caught the matinee today and I'm glad that I made the effort to see this. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, but this is an especially haunting, provocative, and exhilarating musical and it's pretty neat that it's found a space on Broadway. And, of course, Chita was simply sublime (I saw her in DROOD a few seasons back, but to see her originate a role in a Kander & Ebb show is it's own kind of special).

Lin-Manuel Miranda was actually sitting two rows in front of me this afternoon (along with Leslie Odom, Jr.), and he was one of the first to give Chita a standing ovation at curtain call. As ljay said, it was inspiring to see another artist (especially one with such a hyped-up show) so unabashedly enthusiastic and supportive of the community. I'm glad he enjoyed himself!

Updated On: 4/22/15 at 10:39 PM

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#306The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/23/15 at 1:09am

Saw the matinee today.

'Horrendously revengeful rich & unforgiving Jewess & former gypsy buys her own form of vengeance as justice' - yet we can find so much to love in this extraordinary production 'about then, now, & forever.' (taken from one of Chita's filmed comments about the show.)

I agree with almost everything a previous post from Wed. the 17th expressed by ljay889 about "being moved by parts of it knowing that we are seeing something special that will be remembered/discussed/asked about in the future."

Want to see the Bernhard Wicki '64 film w/Ingrid Bergman & Anthony Quinn now. Like what I read of that film, I would have preferred an alteration in the ending.

I finally enjoyed Jason Danieley in something. He was unrecognizable in this & delivered the shows most exciting voice IMHO.

Great set. Lighting was stupendous!

Updated On: 4/23/15 at 01:09 AM

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#307The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/23/15 at 12:49pm

I know people have talked about how these producers clearly have put up “The Visit” as an act of love, knowing the show is not likely to be a big money-earner. With this in mind, how possible do we think it is that it may close early? I’m coming to NY near the end of June and am really excited to see this – hoping that it will still be there!

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#308The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/23/15 at 2:17pm

GilmoreGirl:  I think it will depend on Tony nominations, but I can't imagine this not getting nominated for Best Musical - not to mention nominations for Chita, Kander/Ebbs (score), and tech awards (set & lighting!).  The Tony's are in early June, so I think it will last at least until then, and then it will depend on what Tony's it wins whether it will get enough of a boost to push forward.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#309The Visit Previews
Posted: 4/23/15 at 2:22pm

I saw this show for the first time this week.  I can't really add much more than what has already been said, but I had a bit of a Lin-Manuel Miranda response to the show; totally teared up almost right off the bat (and I'm not usually moved like that).  Most of the times when the young lovers were on stage it was very powerful to me.  And of course, Chita ruled the stage.  

The show is an incredible piece of art.  And like all art, it is not for everyone.  But man, it is incredible.  As much as Brantley panned Something Rotten, a fluffy fun musical that had my laughing my head off and had the audience in thunderous applause, I hope he is kinder this incredible work of art.  We need shows like this, otherwise we're gonna end up with a bunch of jukebox musicals and movies that are turned into musicals.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#310The Visit Previews
Posted: 11/9/15 at 5:57pm

Having just "seen" the show after being well familiar with the straight play version, I was intrigued to see the clip posted on the last page of the previous version of the show, in which the butler and eunuchs were joined by the play's two gangster henchman. The thing that caught my attention the most is that in this staging, the butler is not blind- indeed, in the musical as produced on Broadway, there is no reference to him having been tortured and mutilated by Claire as the Eunuchs were, but he still appears with cane, halting steps and blacked-out eyes just like the other two henchmen.

Was this something added by Doyle? I found the three blinded men an interesting visual, but thought the butler's mutilation weakened the contrast between the eunuchs who "betrayed" her and were tortured for it, and the judge who issued "justice" and was bribed into servitude instead.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#311The Visit Previews
Posted: 1/23/18 at 12:20pm

I'm ''re-visiting" this thread because I just love this show so much and find it slightly heartbreaking that it was an absolute colossal financial failure. And I found post 112 particularly chilling:

"Stage door - everyone came out and signed. Roger Rees seemed out of it at the stage door, maybe a little drunk".

Perhaps an astute observation and little did anyone know that he was literally dying of brain cancer at the time. The circumstances in which he was playing his character - a withered, age old man - was imitating life far too much for comfort.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/23/18 at 12:20 PM

smidge
#312The Visit Previews
Posted: 1/23/18 at 12:46pm

Perfect timing to revive this thread on Miss Chita’s birthday. Can’t wait to see her at 54 Below in March!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#313The Visit Previews
Posted: 1/23/18 at 2:34pm

Rees sounds eerily resigned in his cameo as Gomez on the Carols for a Cure album right before his death.

broadwaydanwi Profile Photo
broadwaydanwi
#314The Visit Previews
Posted: 1/24/18 at 12:08pm

I, too, miss this musical. I was there for one of the very first performances at the Goodman in Chicago. I was so blown away by it that I returned for a second viewing. Chita was perfection, but it was also thrilling to see the late, great John McMartin. I wish this musical would get more regional productions.