GIGI Reviews

indytallguy
#25GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:09pm

I'm ready for Victoria Clark to get another show and role worthy of her talent.

bwaybby
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#28GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:13pm

Dang this show is not faring too well tonight...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#29GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:14pm

With these reviews...No Tony nomination for Vanessa or Musical Revival but one for Victoria Clark!

Charles Isherwood, The New York Times: What the production's creators cannot do, unfortunately, is plump up the thin story or elevate the quality of the score, which doesn't rank among Lerner and Loewe's greatest...There is plenty of scrumptious eye candy to feast on...And the cast, with one unfortunate exception, makes the most of the material. Ms. Clark...brings her customary warmth to Mamita...As Gaston, Mr. Cott nicely suggests the chronic restlessness of a rich and handsome young man bored beyond his years, and he sings with bright, clear tone. Making her Broadway debut, Ms. Hudgens dashes around the stage with perky impetuousness, looking smart in her schoolgirl uniforms and, later, as chic as a runway gazelle in sleek gowns. Her characterization comes to life when Gigi pours her heart into her throat...But in between songs, Ms. Hudgens's performance flattens into two dimensions, at most. Gigi's spunkiness is there to see, but her vulnerability and ardor are mostly missing in action. The actress has energy to spare, but the performance is emotionally vacant...For the musical to inspire excitement, or even affection, we need to feel that the romantic fate of a young woman of vibrant heart and spirit hangs in the balance.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/8/15 at 10:14 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#30GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:14pm

Well, it looks like Gigi shall be sitting out on a nomination for Best Revival of a Musical. Are there any Tony nominations the show could still receive?

Featured Actress in a Musical (Victoria Clark)?
Costume Design of a Musical?

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#31GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:15pm

People seem more enthusiastic about this show than On the Town despite the reviews. Just saw the curtain call from tonight, the audience was LOVING it

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#32GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:15pm

It could certainly be acknowledged in design awards and choreography.

And still, don't necessarily count it out for Revival.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#33GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:16pm

Yet On the Town got some of the BEST reviews of the season!

Updated On: 4/8/15 at 10:16 PM

RW3
#34GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:16pm

This show will be very interesting to look from now until Tony nominations and afterwards.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#35GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:19pm

Well, Here are my TONY predictions now for Best Musical Revival:

On the Town

On the 20th Century

The King & I

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/12/15 at 10:19 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:21pm

This is going to be a hot item on the papering circuit.

Does not look like the box office will not be humming tomorrow.

Poster Emeritus

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#37GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:22pm

These bland deficiencies, to a an element, were all noted in DC (thought not always in the same review). Are there surprises in the meh NYC reception?  (And there's more indifference than panning in these first 7-8 reviews.) I guess from the fan base.  Still, shows with less of a critical imprimatur have succeeded. Was this revival ever really expected to wow critics?  Its fate is based on bigger picture issues: whether that fan base is large enough to plunk down dollars for a other-medium marginal star.  Whether older boomers will be so inclined, for nostalgia or other mysterious reasons, is another matter.  But it's early, and needless to say, this is a season when it's impossible to call anything with absolute certainty. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 4/8/15 at 10:22 PM

bwaybby
#38GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:23pm

I don't see a pull quote to be had from NYT. Perhaps

GIGI!

"Minor changes smartly align the material"

Phillypinto
#39GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:25pm

My guess is that Finding Neverland and Gigi make money meanwhile On the Town, Fun Home and The Visit die in a hole. Lets hope for bad reviews Something Rotten and It Shoulda Been You!!

RW3
#40GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:26pm

We will see with the advertisements.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:26pm

You're strange. 

RW3
#42GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:29pm

Who? Me?

indytallguy
#43GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:31pm

"My guess is that Finding Neverland and Gigi make money meanwhile On the Town, Fun Home and The Visit die in a hole. Lets hope for bad reviews Something Rotten and It Shoulda Been You!!

"

Fun Home die in a hole? Given the acclaim it received at The Public that is hardly likely. It may not end up being a huge hit, but it certainly isn't going to die off like you suggest. I actually think it will do reasonably well, but for a short run.

bwaybby
#44GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:32pm

Philly? What are you on?

Chicago Tribune is a PAN

anemic, sterile — and, at times, rather creepy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/broadway/sc-gigi-broadway-review-20150408-column.html

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#45GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:33pm

Philly

Never wish for bad reviews on any show. You sound like one of those on the board actively rooting for a show to fail.All I am doing is stating what appears to be obvious. I wished it well but knew after DC that was unlikely.These reviews were worse than I thought.

Poster Emeritus

Phillypinto
#46GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:35pm

Do you people understand subtext? Im saying it seems like all the shows getting the good reviews are closing in a second while shows with bad reviews aren't doing too bad. 

RW3
#47GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:35pm

We were being so civil.

bwaybby
#48GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:42pm

OMG Philly..."subtext" what do you think? You're a writer now? And what you were attempting to use is not subtext but either irony or sarcasm. sheesh!

Phillypinto
#49GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:43pm

i was using all 3