GIGI Reviews

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#50GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:45pm

Another PAN, from Vulture/New York:

Only two of the performers succeed at the minimal task of simulating some form of reality. One is Corey Cott as Gaston, who at first seems done in by the down-aging, but whose boyish confusion about his feelings, as described in the title song, is eventually rather moving. The other, no surprise, is Victoria Clark as Mamita. It’s hard to understand where this superb singing actress finds the character: surely not in the script. (The part, in being substantially expanded for her, has been rejiggered into incoherence.) Yet somehow it’s only when Clark is in a scene that there is a scene. Whether it’s a scene that properly belongs to Gigi is at this point moot; we must be grateful for what signs of intelligence we get.  

Theater Review: A Disney Star in a Girl-Power Gigi

After seeing all the love for this show on these boards, I thought most had seen a different show than I. While there were some things to like, I was mostly underwhelmed and wondered which way the wind would blow for the critics. I truly thought even then they would find it mildly entertaining but forgettable. I never expected the thrashing it got.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#51GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:45pm

They caught a small break when Isherwood reviewed it over Brantley.

Poster Emeritus

RW3
#52GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:51pm

The opinions are just so split down the middle. It's almost like the critics and audiences are seeing two different shows.

broadwayfan24
Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#54GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:59pm

Interesting reading the reviews again from the Kennedy Ctr. tryout and now the Broadway reviews.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/boardsearch.php?startdate=&enddate=&boardtosearch=main&posted_by=&searchtext=gigi%20kennedy%20center&search_options=both&page=1

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RW3
#55GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:06pm

I bet the press team is working their butts off tonight to find pull quotes.

bwaybby
#56GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:10pm

I'd call the NY Post "not negative" 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#57GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:11pm

"Do you people understand subtext? Im saying it seems like all the shows getting the good reviews are closing in a second while shows with bad reviews aren't doing too bad. 

It's pretty much been like that for a while. It just seems that the general public isn't all that interested in seeing the more critical darlings. Hopefully, the Tony Awards could be able to give the critical darlings (that are still running) a box office boost.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#58GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:16pm

Damn. This must be the worst criticized show for a long time. I now give this a month.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#59GIGI Reviews

Damn. This must be the worst criticized show for a long time. I now give this a month.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#60GIGI Reviews

The Tonys Awards should forget about whats critically acclaimed and whats happening at the box offices, and just nominate shows/people who deserve it, regardless if a show is making money or not, or closed/open. Thats just my opinion though.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

indytallguy
#61GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:18pm

"Do you people understand subtext? Im saying it seems like all the shows getting the good reviews are closing in a second while shows with bad reviews aren't doing too bad. 

"

Please name all of these shows that got good reviews and then "closed in a second" as you suggest.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#62GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:19pm

Philly

Totally disagree.Tonys are supposed to be based on merit

Many times I disagree with they do and don't nominate and who wins but it would really be meaningless if we did it your way.

Poster Emeritus

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#63GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:24pm

Don't feed the troll.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

RW3
#64GIGI Reviews

I just really want to know what pull quotes they will use for advertising?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#65GIGI Reviews

"Don't feed the troll."

Coming from one of the WORST trolls this site has ever seen...that's pretty f'in rich.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#66GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:25pm

Mr Roxy, thats exactly what I said. It should be purely based on merit. Even if nominations would help a show do better financially, I don't think that should be a factor at all. Also if a show is closed, they should equally consider it in my opinion. 

indytallguy, Side Show, The Last Ship

Honeymoon in Vegas didn't close in a second, but it still struggled like crazy and got raves. On the Town also got raves and is struggling.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#67GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:26pm

One word I detest is troll.

In the time honored tradition of BWW, what goes into the Simon next - hopefully not a musical?

Poster Emeritus

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#68GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:30pm

"Mr Roxy, thats exactly what I said. It should be purely based on merit."

Yet you have been wishing for On The Town to close since day 1 even though it's one of the best reviewed shows of the season....

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

RW3
#69GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:30pm

This season has been unpredictable so far and Gigi right now is definitely the wildcard right now.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#70GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:31pm

^ Don't even try reasoning with Philly.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#71GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:33pm

I think Hudgens will keep the show open for a while. Lack of Tony nominations, mixed reviews & mixed word-of-mouth will likely only keep it open through Labor Day.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#72GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:34pm

As far I can recall the only show that hasn't flopped in there recently was All The Way. Why don't they stick to using that show for those starry-casted plays, instead of always being relegated to 45th street?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#73GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:34pm

Roxy, In the time honored tradition of BWW, what goes into the Simon next - hopefully not a musical?

---

HA! Prob a musical...Possibly, Ever After if it receives raves @ Paper Mill or

Tuck Everlasting?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#74GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:40pm

Oh well.

One can follow the other. 

Poster Emeritus