Darren Criss in Hedwig

skies Profile Photo
skies
#125Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 1:00pm

"I am wondering if it was his girlfriend.

I really can't judge that it was a woman. They have free reign to kiss/face hump whomever."

I'll judge if all the subsequent audience interaction is with nothing but women.  I mean, considering the character of Hedwig that he's portraying it wouldn't fit at all, and would actually circumvent some of the meaning of the show.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

vermouthontherocks Profile Photo
vermouthontherocks
#126Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 1:08pm

I'll judge if all the subsequent audience interaction is with nothing but women.  I mean, considering the character of Hedwig that he's portraying it wouldn't fit at all, and would actually circumvent some of the meaning of the show.
 "

Yes, this is my concern. I wouldn't really think anything of it if he hadn't been so borderline offensive in so many of his interviews where he kept talking about how sassy Hedwig is and called her a "woman thing" and a bitch over and over. It really rubbed me the wrong way. It's not that I'm opposed to straight guys playing Hedwig, I personally loved MCH in the role, but he also seemed far less like a fratboy doing drag in his press stuff.

Crateful Profile Photo
Crateful
#127Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 1:28pm

I guess my biggest concern is that he just doesn't "get it."  Neil, Andrew, MCH, and JCM all brought something very unique to their understandings of Hedwig and who she is.  I am a bit worried that DC seems to think it's a drag show.  I hope he finds his comfort level in the show, I'd hate to see it end with him.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#128Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 1:52pm

"to be fair, yitzhak calls hedwig a bitch in the intro. at least he did up until JCM's run"

Yitzhak calls Hedwig "bitch" later in the show, to which Hedwig replies "what, did someone say my name? Yitzhak repeats "bitch" and also calls him "Cvnt" It's been in the show since the very beginning at the Jane.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#129Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:07pm

Hiya Jane,

I can’t recall from the NPH or AR shows I saw, but that bit was definitely not in the JCM Broadway run. In fact, Yitzhak doesn’t speak now except to introduce Hedwig and to say, “Can I get a B flat?”

alliesinger Profile Photo
alliesinger
#130Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:13pm

I am so very torn about this. Part of me wants to try my luck in the lottery and let some higher power (the ghost of the Belasco?) decide if I should see DC. I saw all four previous Hedwigs, and my most recent viewing was of JCM in the second row center. It was magic.

Bite the bullet and give DC a chance? Or end on a high note with JCM and wish future Hedwigs luck from afar?

Also... what are the odds that the lottery is going to be me + 500 Gleeks?

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#131Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:19pm

There's a big difference to me between what Yitzhak says in role/ in character and what a straight actor says about a female-identified queer character. Plus, Hedwig may be a bitch, but that's one element of a complex character. The way DC has talked about Hedwig is simplistic and reductive.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#132Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:05pm

"can’t recall from the NPH or AR shows I saw, but that bit was definitely not in the JCM Broadway run."

It was in the show each time I saw it on broadway.

absolutbitter
#133Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:07pm

"I listened to all of the recording earlier and I really like his Origin of Love.

His weakest for me was Wicked Little Town."

I found the rest, and of course allowing for the quality of it all, his best for me were Angry Inch and Exquisite Corpse, punk works for him cause he can do loud. 

Wicked Little Town sounds very thin, the high notes are bad, and the phrases unfinished as in Midnight Radio.  Wig in a Box is almost a recitative. Now I see why Origin of Love is one of the better songs from last night. 

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 03:07 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#134Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:15pm

Just listened to DC's Origin of Love. He went off pitch a little, and sounded nervous, but give the guy a chance. There's a lot of potential. it's so not fair to judge him at this point. really.

obssessed
#135Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:27pm

Just listened to   The origin  of love.   His diction is absolutely horrible.   Vocally shaky yes, but the diction  is much worse than   Ken  Wantanabe's.

absolutbitter
#136Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:49pm

"Just listened to DC's Origin of Love. He went off pitch a little, and sounded nervous, but give the guy a chance. There's a lot of potential. it's so not fair to judge him at this point. really."

I was just commenting on what I heard on the recording, with all allowance for its quality. Of course it's opening night, there is potential, and perception is different in the theater. But it's because it's typical for his pop singing to cut off phrases and use workarounds (like yelps) for the higher notes he can't take  - that I hoped for improvement. Hopefully this will come as he settles into the show. 

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 03:49 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#137Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:53pm

I wasn't referring to you, bitter, as much as we all need to give the guy a chance before picking apart every syllable he  utters!

absolutbitter
#138Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 4:17pm

"I wasn't referring to you, bitter, as much as we all need to give the guy a chance before picking apart every syllable he  utters!"

Gotcha. I'm just on the lookout for indication it's worth my limited show budget to go see him if I manage to swing a nyc trip. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#139Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 4:49pm

^ well, not knowing Darren Criss from Adam, I can only advise you to wait a bit until he settles into the role and is more comfortable in it, and understands the show. Same advice for any new Hedwig!

vermouthontherocks Profile Photo
vermouthontherocks
#140Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 6:51pm

"Also... what are the odds that the lottery is going to be me + 500 Gleeks?"

This is what I'm worried about. I can really only afford it if I try for the lottery, but given both the Glee fan's behavior and Criss's stagedoor behavior when he was in How To Succeed, I really don't want to deal with it if they're going to be overwhelming majority. I'm more forgiving than most of new fans not being fully versed in etiquette, and lord knows Hedwig is a rock show with more audience participation than most, but I don't want to waste my time and money paying full price for a show again if it's going to be filled with teenagers treating it like one of his concerts. 

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#141Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 7:15pm

"Just listened to DC's Origin of Love. He went off pitch a little, and sounded nervous, but give the guy a chance. There's a lot of potential. it's so not fair to judge him at this point. really."

It's 100% fair to judge him.  He is performing for tickets that could be up to $250.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#142Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 7:29pm

Then go ahead and judge, Mr. Ito.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#143Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 7:50pm

Seems Rebecca Naomi Jones who has been in her role for close to a month now is still fairly polarizing as far as her interpretation with some viewers.  So it's hard to say that people won't judge or critique.  Unlike others here I can't go see a performance mutliple times  (budget won't allow) so it seems odd to say that critiques from people paying good money for a show shouldn't  count or be given until the peformer "settles in" for X number of days/weeks/months in a role.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren
Updated On: 4/30/15 at 07:50 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#144Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:04pm

Having watched almost every single Hedwig from their first performance and how they made the character their own after time, I stand behind what I said.

I trust the producers of Hedwig to feel that DC is ready to perform for the public whatever price ticket you bought. I'm sure the show, to those who are not the nitpicking posters on this board, are enjoying it to no end. 

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 08:04 PM

skies Profile Photo
skies
#145Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:07pm

"Having watched almost every single Hedwig from their first performance and how they made the character their own after time, I stand behind what I said.
I trust the producers of Hedwig to feel that DC is ready to perform for the public whatever price ticket you bought. I'm sure the show, to those who are not the nitpicking posters on this board, are enjoying it to no end. 
 "

In other words, only "postive" reviews count in your book.  Negaive ones are nit pickers.

Glad that's cleared up.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#146Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:08pm

My point went right over your head.

Actually I'm tired of this argument for now. Yes, you're right, only positive counts in my book.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 08:08 PM

skies Profile Photo
skies
#147Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:17pm

Apparently as did mine.

Settling  into a role is no guarantee a performer  will necessarily get better or get worse, it's live theatre.   Meanwhile performers know, fairly or  not, they will be judged for their performance that day, in real time.

Discounting critiques because you think they need to wait is an indulgence  many don't have.  

busylizzie238 Profile Photo
busylizzie238
#148Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 7:22am

http://www.broadway.com/shows/hedwig-and-angry-inch/photos/exclusive-photos-fans-friends-welcome-darren-criss-back-to-broadway-in-hedwig-and-the-angry-inch/210687/hedwig-and-the-angry-inch-415-darren-criss-

This may sound very naïve, but from the promo pictures I thought that his eyebrows had have been significantly trimmed (or even completely shaved off) but they are still quite bushy does anyone know how this works? are they sealed over with tape or something?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#149Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 8:11am

"Discounting critiques because you think they need to wait is an indulgence many don't have."

Ok, the above deserves my explanation. Sure, people will criticize and that's natural. I am complaining about the nitpicking that goes on in this board, which for me causes eye-rolling. It comes from some who consider themselves the arbiters of good taste in theatre. Also from some who have studied voice, dance, acting, etc. I ask them to consider giving the actor more time, because I have seen so many improve in the role. I consider Hedwig a unique role which really does become the actor's own signature.

If, in time, there is no improvement, such critiques are justified. But to trash the performance apart after one or two performances is not fair in my book. Especially immediately following the master. And have these critics even SEEN the show, or are they reacting to the audio on the net. A bootleg audio.

As for the price of a ticket, I mentioned that DC is ready to perform to a broadway audience, per the producers, and the patrons are not being gypped.