Straightest Musicals

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:18pm

No, it's offensive.  Period.   ANYONE would get slammed for this. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#26Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:18pm

You are defining individual taste using broad generic terms.

Would you consider asking, "what musicals do white people like?"

When you generalize, you are likely to offend.

dramamama611
#27Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:20pm

Well said^

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#28Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:24pm

White people like Sondheim musicals.

Straight white men are Frank Wildhorn's only male audience.

Straight plays tend to be straighter than straight musicals.  Do you realize how totally utterly straight "Death of a Salesman" is?  I mean.  STR8 up straight.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#29Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:26pm

Yes generalizing. People do it all the time because there is a lot of truth in generalizing

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

dramamama611
#30Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:27pm

Thud.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#31Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:29pm

I dunno, Philly asks a viable question.  It is becoming clear to me that the mere thought of FH's story is offensive to straight relatives.  I will be bringing all kinds of straight people to this show, but a few people have backed out because of the content.

Stephanatic

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#32Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:30pm

The question posed is not offensive in the least. Guess what? GAY PEOPLE LOVE MUSICALS! Not all gay people, but a quick survey of this board would find very few straight men here. Straight men are often dragged to Broadway by their wives, but then wind up enjoying the show to a certain extent.

I would agree that your traditional hetro dude would like Guys and Dolls. And, yeah, Book of Mormon, which I personally found to be way too vulgar for my delicate taste.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#33Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:31pm

"White people like Sondheim musicals."

...Eh.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

dramamama611
#34Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:37pm

It's more the way he asked it, as noted by devonian's post.  Perhaps if he explained WHY he wanted to know, or didn't ask in such blatant terms.

I'll go devonian's post one better: If he'd asked, "What musicals do Puerto Ricans like?" THAT would be offensive, wouldn't it? 

Same.

Exact.

Thing.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 04:37 PM

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#35Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:37pm

Falsettos.  I remember a whole long, butch song about baseball. 

FindingNamo
#36Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:39pm

Oh come on.  Falsettos is a bi musical if ever there were one.  A white bi musical for white people.

Phillypinto
#37Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:40pm

No it wouldn't be offensive because you can say In the Heights. Im sure Puerto Ricans would/do love that show. 

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#38Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:41pm

But there are no bi people!!!! 

How could Flasettos stay open?

FindingNamo
#39Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:44pm

I will be bringing all kinds of straight people to this show, but a few people have backed out because of the contentt

It's because they're closeted and don't want to be implicated.  To a PERSON that's a fact.

The gays also went to Falsettos because gay musical goers love straight married men who hit their wives and get it on with other fellows.

dramamama611
#40Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:45pm

Um....they're Dominican.  And Puerto Ricans would NOT like In the Heights.

Nice, now you just insulted MORE people.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#41Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:46pm

White people love Fun Home.  Like, really, really love it.

As for straight musicals, The Scottsboro Boys come to mine, meaning a straight man can sit in the audience and not be horribly uncomfortable by boys liking boys and girls liking girls.

Seriously, Philly, W T F.  

jimmycurry01
#42Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:54pm

When I first saw the title of the thread I assumed we were going to be discussing musicals that feel more like straight plays, like 1776 for example, which goes on for a very long time without a single note being sung. Instead we have a poorly worded thread about sexual identity stereotypes.

Bad wording aside, this is still a somewhat interesting topic to discuss. There are, after all, a number of people out there who instantly reject the idea of musical theatre based solely upon that stereotype, and there are musicals out there that may change their minds, and musicals that they may feel validate their point.

My answer to the question at hand is Book of Mormon. I think 1776 may be able to answer this question as well. Book of Mormon works because of the frat boy sense of humor that Comedy Central specializes in and gears specifically to the 18-30 year old male demographic. 1776 because of the sense of parasitism it can induces coupled with the lack of big dance numbers and jazz hands. There is nothing wrong with big dance numbers and jazz hands, but for those that view musical theatre as part of a gay stereotype, they see these things as perpetuating that stereotype. Just my two cents. While the wording of the question is kinda offensive (and yes, phillypinto, it really is), it is still worth discussing.

Phillypinto
#43Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:58pm

what do you mean wtf sutton? 

"Puerto Ricans would NOT like In the Heights."

LMFAO okay that is hands down the stupidest comment i have heard anybody say on here. Only Lin Manual Miranda, the composer of the show, is Puerto Rican. Didn't they even put up a production in Puerto Rico?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#44Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:59pm

"Um....they're Dominican.  And Puerto Ricans would NOT like In the Heights.

Nice, now you just insulted MORE people."

EL TO THE OH EL, dm

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#45Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:00pm

"[W]e have a poorly worded thread about sexual identity stereotypes.... There is nothing wrong with big dance numbers and jazz hands, but for those that view musical theatre as part of a gay stereotype, they see these things as perpetuating that stereotype. Just my two cents. While the wording of the question is kinda offensive (and yes, phillypinto, it really is), it is still worth discussing."

I agree, jimmycurry01, that the question is offensive / worded offensively because it appears to perpetuate the stereotype that liking musicals is not masculine.

By this logic, does admitting that Follies is one of my favorite musicals make me less secure in my heterosexuality than if I praised The Book of Mormon

Phillypinto
#46Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:00pm

jimmycurry, yeah the first shows I thought about were Avenue Q and Book of Mormon. As far as the wording, no matter how you word it, its still the same question so what does it matter! You people are ridiculous!!

dramamama611
#47Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:02pm

There is a lot of animosity between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans from what I understand.

They are not interchangeable people.

Phillypinto
#48Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:02pm

The problem is not the wording. Its the fact that you cannot hear the spirit in which it was said. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#49Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:04pm

Yes, he played the part in Puerto Rico and he is of Puerto Rican descent.

That comment about Puerto Ricans not liking the show was the dumbest in BWW history. Jesus Christ.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 05:04 PM