FUN HOME Reviews

Mattbrain
#25FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 6:56pm

"Did you know when Kiss Me Kate opened it got the first Tony but it soon disappeared when South Pacific Opened. Sadly Fun Home will be all but forgotten when Hamilton Opens.
"I'm hoping for all raves!  I can't think of a show I've rooted for more."

I just do not know how to respond to that. 

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26FUN HOME Reviews

Yes, because there can only be one successful show at a time.

Someone in a Tree: I'm fairly certain in Maps, Alison explains that both Fun Home and their house are present....as in two different places.  When I was a kid, I was given pretty free range...and I didn't even live in a small town.  The world was safer, kids were more independent, too.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LightsOut90
#27FUN HOME Reviews

^huh

Annetteiago
#28FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 6:57pm

"^Huh? KISS ME KATE played 1077 performances, hardly what I'd call disappearing soon. It closed on July 28, 1951, over 2 years after SOUTH PACIFIC premiered!"

deleted

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#29FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 6:58pm

Fun Home will also most likely have a few Tonys to help it. Hamilton will be competition, sure, but so will all other new shows, this season and next.

Annetteiago
#30FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 6:58pm

""Did you know when Kiss Me Kate opened it got the first Tony but it soon disappeared when South Pacific Opened. Sadly Fun Home will be all but forgotten when Hamilton Opens.

I just do not know how to respond to that. "

Sometimes I play dumb well because I am

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#31FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:15pm

Talkin' Broadway: Mixed (to positive?)

But despite all that’s excellent about Fun Home, it stops significantly short of being an excellent musical. In Bechdel’s book, her gently alienating style of drawing contrasted beautifully with the heartbreaking subject matter creating a heightening effect that Kron and Tesori have not been able to effectively approximate. And director Sam Gold, who’s better than almost anyone today at making minute psychological nuances sweepingly theatrical, hasn’t imbued the writing with the size it needs to feel as though it’s about more than one gay woman growing up and discovering herself. Paradoxically, the closer Gold brings us, the more we’re pushed away.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/FunHome2015.html

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#32FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:21pm

Murray mentions projections of Bechdel's drawings in the off-Broadway production, but wasn't only one projection used at the end? This is the case in the current production, so I didn't quite get that comment.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

indytallguy
#33FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:21pm

I do think Murray ends up on the positive side. He singles out praise for much of the cast, as well as the book and music.  He seems to find Gold's new staging and the reworking of the set as something that pushes us away; whereas many of us in the preview thread talked about how it pulled us in more. Interesting.

ads08
#34FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:25pm

I would love to read a thread about a show that doesn't automatically compare it to Hamilton or predict its demise due to Hamilton.  Both Fun Home and Hamilton are wildly different shows.  While I think that Fun Home will have a hard time finding an audience I do not think that is related at all to Hamilton's possible success.

indytallguy
#35FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:28pm

"Murray mentions projections of Bechdel's drawings in the off-Broadway production, but wasn't only one projection used at the end? This is the case in the current production, so I didn't quite get that comment."

At The Public, didn't we get some projections on a black curtain at one point? Maybe the NYC scene? I can't recall the specifics.  I think they were just frames though, similar to the frames being done in the current production.  Maybe Murray doesn't equate those two?

MorningGlow2
#36FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:37pm

Deadline: Positive

Fun Home is a marvelous achievement, full of humor as well as rue. Its 100 transporting minutes fly by and then it’s gone — not to be forgotten.

Plus some quibbles with staging in-the-round.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/fun-home-broadway-review-1201411966/

MorningGlow2
#37FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:40pm

ABC News / AP: Positive

The best commercial for a Broadway show this season isn't on TV. It's on Broadway itself, in the stunning, deeply moving "Fun Home."...There are sweeping love stories on Broadway this season and light comedies, too. That's fine, but make sure "Fun Home" is on your list as well. Rarely do you find a funeral home you're unhappy to leave.

And..

It has only gotten better in its theater-in-the-round format, with director Sam Gold using every inch of the stage and even the aisles.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/review-broadways-fun-home-deeply-moving-triumph-30434056

#38FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:43pm

photo from the Hollywood Reporter

FUN HOME Reviews

MorningGlow2
#39FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:49pm

Huffington Post: Rave

Last season's best off-Broadway musical is now this season's best Broadway musical.Fun Home is the best Broadway musical in years...

Seekers of provocative, invigorating and entertaining theatre--musical or dramatic--will find it at Circle in the Square. To those who think that Fun Home doesn't sound like their sort of entertainment: this is musical theatre at its best, so go anyway. You're likely to be surprised, and thrilled, and enthralled.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-suskin/aisle-view-come-to-the-fu_b_7097076.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

Updated On: 4/19/15 at 07:49 PM

Mattbrain
#40FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:49pm

"""Did you know when Kiss Me Kate opened it got the first Tony but it soon disappeared when South Pacific Opened. Sadly Fun Home will be all but forgotten when Hamilton Opens.

Sometimes I play dumb well because I am"

You play dumb well because you are what?! Did you even actually finish that sentence?! 

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 4/19/15 at 07:49 PM

Annetteiago
#41FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:55pm

""""Did you know when Kiss Me Kate opened it got the first Tony but it soon disappeared when South Pacific Opened. Sadly Fun Home will be all but forgotten when Hamilton Opens.

You are dumb well because you are what?! Did you even actually finish that sentence?! "

mattbrain you are too smart I heard you a ceo

MorningGlow2
#42FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:58pm

Timeout: Rave (5 stars)

Fun Home is a thing of rare beauty: a Broadway musical of enormous intelligence and sensitivity. Kron’s libretto grabs you with humor, irony and poignant detail; Tesori’s music, as in her classic score for Caroline, or Change, moves with great skill from tuneful pastiche (there’s an irony-soaked Partridge Family–style number) to striking dramatic force. Impressive as it was in its 2013 premiere at the Public Theater, the show is even stronger now. Superbly restaged by Sam Gold for Circle in the Square’s nearly in-the-round space, with David Zinn’s set rising and sinking like memory, it emerges with fresh clarity: Malone’s searching presence is more central, and Cerveris more sympathetic and complex. Fun Home is not your ordinary Broadway musical, because it is extraordinary. It sings outside the box.—Adam Feldman

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/fun-home-1

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#43FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:06pm

LOVING these reviews! I'm getting a bit emotional just reading them.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#44FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:08pm

Fabulous pull quotes in every review; not too shabby!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mattbrain
#45FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:11pm

"""""Did you know when Kiss Me Kate opened it got the first Tony but it soon disappeared when South Pacific Opened. Sadly Fun Home will be all but forgotten when Hamilton Opens.

You are dumb well because you are what?! Did you even actually finish that sentence?! "

mattbrain you are too smart I heard you a ceo"

.........................................what?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#46FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:14pm

I loved Adam Feldman's second to last line. This is a beautiful little show, and though I'm not surprised I'm so pleased it's being received with raves! 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

MorningGlow2
#47FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:19pm

NBC New York: Positive

"Fun Home" is a delicate portrait of family dysfunction that has only gotten richer in the 18 months since it premiered at The Public Theater.

“Fun Home” is a masterful achievement—a tragic musical about learning to see one’s parents as flawed human beings, and a story as raw and real as any on stage.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/entertainment/the-scene/Fun-Home-Review-Alison-Bechdel-300501991.html

sctrojan65
#48FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:27pm

So glad to hear the reviews are coming in like this.   It's deserving!

#49FUN HOME Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:31pm

Chicago Tribune is Positive:

"Fun Home," the gorgeously wrought and emotionally overwhelming new musical ... features a memory-charged, emotionally emphatic score ... a 100-minute piece that never lets you out of its embrace for a moment ... with an exquisite understanding of the hope you get from children, whom you know will get to make their own lives, have their own fun, away from you. No wonder the audience sprang as one from its seats at the ending, and the start of living.

Broadway review: 'Fun Home' is an emotional powerhouse, by Chris Jones

Updated On: 4/19/15 at 08:31 PM