DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#275DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:15am

Enjoyed The Visit much more.

Having said that, no way Dr Z deserved the critical  shellacking it got. The critics were itching for a fight and they would have roasted whatever they saw.This reminds me of a pile on in football.

Agree the love aspect was played down but to try and take a 3 1/2 movie or the novel and put it on stage was a venture designed to fail.

An E for effort as their was much to like. Had a much better time here than at BOM.

Poster Emeritus

matildathemiracle2 Profile Photo
matildathemiracle2
#276DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:31am

I'm going to the Broadway stage managers seminar in the last weekend in May and part of the seminar includes a ticket to see Dr. Z on Saturday May 30th at 8. What are the chances that it will still be open?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#277DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:34am

No better than 50/50 .

Poster Emeritus

matildathemiracle2
#278DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:37am

"No better than 50/50 ."

Thank you! Would not have added the ticket package had I known the show, so a little part of me hopes it closes.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#279DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:54am

REALLY, Roxy?  They were itching for a fight?  With whom?  And just how did it work that ALL of them panned the show?  The collective mind?  

Great that you enjoyed the show and all, as did many others, but you'll be a happier person when you give up on conspiracy theories.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#280DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 10:12am

Hoping a show closes?

Not a very positive attitude to have but I have seen it on BWW so many times it should not surprise me.

Poster Emeritus

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#281DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 10:20am

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#282DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 10:34am

"Hoping a show closes?
Not a very positive attitude to have but I have seen it on BWW so many times it should not surprise me.

Roxy, you're often the one predicting a show's demise with a certain amount of glee.

....but the world goes 'round

#283DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 12:44pm

Have been reading this forum since I saw the second preview and finally decided to post my long overdue thoughts:

Having seen the film the week before, what I enjoyed most was doing an extremely detailed critique in my head of the show. Overall, I thought it was a good show with a couple of really great songs, impressive staging and costumes. Some parts dragged and IMO it was a real shame to use the lyrics to Lara's theme - which I really don't like. It's a timeless song that would have worked in the moment they put it without lyrics - actually come to think of it none of the songs had particularly good lyrics. Tam was amazing as always ( :wub:) and I was very impressed with Paul Nolan as Pasha - Kelli Barrett as Lara was pretty good but I did prefer Lora Lee Gayer's voice as Tonia - pity she had a small-ish part. I came out having enjoyed it, but there were obvious changes to be made eg. get rid of the awful projections, especially of Lara - which I just don't understand why they didn't change during previews.

The other thing is I don't understand everyone's comments about lack of love development. I saw the film for the first time the week before seeing the show and, expecting an epic love story, was surprised by how little the love aspect is in the film - Lara and Yurii are only together for about 20-30 mins out of a 3 hour film! I thought the show did a much better job of explaining, developing and showing their love.

letyourfreakflagwave
#284DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 1:04pm

For me, the problem with the Lara/Yurii love story was not about the stage time, but rather about the narration. Just as I said, I haven't seen the movie, but I do think even 20-30 minutes screentime can be enough to sufficiently tell the process of how two people fall in love and how their feelings develop.

I am not saying that Lara and Yurii would have needed more shared time on stage. I am saying that their shared (and separate) time on stage should have been written differently. Yes, they kept bumping into each other, but when they sang romantic duets in the second act I was wondering how exactly they came to feel that way about each other.

matildathemiracle2
#285DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 1:20pm

"Hoping a show closes?
 "

I only hope that it closes so that I can see something else. I would never root for a show to close, whether I like it or not., and I just have no interest in this one. I'd much rather see something else. There is no way for me to get a refund on my ticket (I've tried) so the only way to get out of seeing it would be if it closes. We all know that it's going to close eventually, probably sooner than later. 

broadwayboy223
#286DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 8:33pm

Just read Zhivago is closing. I'm so sad for this show. I truly hope the cast album is made. I need a nice recording of the music!!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#287DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:08pm

I'm losing hope for a cast album now. There seemed to be a legitimate possibility but now that it's closing it seems less likely. If they were still planning on heading into the recording studio you would think they would have included that news with this press release. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#288DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:44pm

I doubt it is happening which will make a lot of people happy.

Poster Emeritus

mamaleh
#289DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/11/15 at 1:23am

I caught the final performance today out of curiosity.  I didn't find it to be the stinker most have made it out to be, even if it did not come off as awards bait:  too many repetitive, same-sounding love songs in Act 2, and a bit overblown production wise. But some of the melodies were gorgeous, and the performers gave it their all. I'd never before seen Tam Mutu on stage and was impressed with his acting and especially his singing. Still, at best, I guess my overall verdict is damned with faint praise. The show had no "wow" moments that sell tickets.  The audience went wild with applause, bouquets given to the cast and whistles at the end, but there was no curtain speech.  Unfortunate that so many fine performers are now out of work.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#290DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/11/15 at 2:56pm

Where will Tam Mutu go next? Any chance he'll do 54 BELOW??

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'