tony awards rant

sctrojan65
#75tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:51am

I agree about OTTC.  That came off way too frenetic.  They shoehorned way too much in that short time span.  First off they should have left the Gallagher segment out.  Go with the porters and feed right into Babette.  I don't think it showcased well at all.

But then again, my friend and I weren't at all impressed with The King and I either.  It wasn't bad, it just looked no different, performance-wise, than any other version I've seen to date.  And I've seen the show numerous times, both on Broadway and on tour.

The Visit was a little bland, and AAIP wasn't showcased all that well either.

I think the one that came off the strongest was On the Town.  

Hopefully though people won't pass on a show just because of a Readers Digest version of a number from the show.  I know some will though.  Which is too bad.

"I accidentally laughed during the Finding Neverland performance.  
The On the Twentieth Century performance made me REALLY sad.  I've seen the show twice and those bits didn't do it justice what-so-ever and since that I've seen a ton of Facebook people saying that it validates their reasoning not to see it.  I wish they would have just stuck with one scene like Veronique or Babbette and not jump all around.
Ending with the Jersey Boys weirded me out and confused me.  "

japhun2 Profile Photo
japhun2
#76tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 7:36am

My least favorite moment of the show was BY FAR the "cell phone speech" from Ruthie Ann Miles. I thought it was tacky and showed ZERO gratitude or realness. Speak from the heart and show how you feel in the moment--so disappointed by that!

A close second was the In Memoriam. Total disaster...and Josh Groban was so off-key at the beginning. Truly cringe-worthy.

japhun2 Profile Photo
japhun2
#77tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 7:37am

My least favorite moment of the show was BY FAR the "cell phone speech" from Ruthie Ann Miles. I thought it was tacky and showed ZERO gratitude or realness. Speak from the heart and show how you feel in the moment--so disappointed by that!

A close second was the In Memoriam. Total disaster...and Josh Groban was so off-key at the beginning. Truly cringe-worthy.

Liza's Headband
#78tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:16am

You're truly the worst person to ever troll this board. And that's coming from someone who is quite despised on here. 

jemjeb2
#79tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:33am

"Anti-lesbian bias specifically.  There I wrote it."

And then there's pro- lesbian bias.

gmhots
#80tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 3:03pm

"The lukewarm opening.  Two Tony winner standouts and you start out with poorly crafted famous song re-writes?  If that's what you wanted, stick with NPH."

Ahimsa, the "poorly crafted famous song re-writes" bit was actually part of Something Rotten!'s showcase and not technically the opening. Unless there was something I missed...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#81tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 3:36pm

He's talking about Cumming and Cheno's opening, not SR.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

gmhots
#82tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 5:02pm

Ok, I guess we could classify SR's segment as pretty much the same thing too, haha. 

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#83tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:28pm

There was nothing wrong with Ruthie reading off her cell phone; you could tell that she was nervous, and I bet that she was not expecting to win at all (I wasn't). Her speech was cute and memorable. I wish Sydney or Judy would have won, but I'm not disappointed with Ruthie's win. 

I was pretty annoyed that the acceptance speech by the FUN HOME crew was cut short/rushed so that JERSEY BOYS could perform. Ridiculous. I feel like the show performs at the Tonys every year. Enough is enough. 

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#84tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:46pm

I thought that Ruthie's speech was, dare I say it, one of the most human aspects of the entire night.  It was endearing and thoroughly honest. 

I was was surprised that she won, but happy that she did. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#85tony awards rant
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:38pm

^ Yes, I definitely agree. I've re-watched it several times (and laughed). I guess Japhun2 was too concentrated on Ruthie's iPhone to see how endearing and thankful she was during her speech. How dare she read off her phone while giving her speech... so ungrateful and fake!

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 6/9/15 at 11:38 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#86tony awards rant
Posted: 6/10/15 at 12:58am

Ruthie's speech was heartwarming and real. Whoever says so otherwise just doesn't get it.

As me me, the things that did grind me a bit was that the memoriam was rushed as all get out, FINDING NEVERLAND's performance was awfully boring, and I dearly wished that Donald Holder and Michael Yeargan got the awards for their stunning work on THE KING AND I than AN AMERICAN IN PARIS' lighting and sets which look kind of "ordinary" to me.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#87tony awards rant
Posted: 6/10/15 at 1:22am

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/tony-awards-2015s-12-best-and-worst-moments-20150608/best-viva-chita-rivera-20150608

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George