Dames at Sea Casting

Trish2
#25Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/27/15 at 12:49am

Dames At Sea is a sweet and small show. I wonder how it will fare in that theatre. What's the most misleading to me are the ads, logo, and commercial. They give the illusion of a large cast doing " jaw dropping dances." Well, i saw the workshop a year ago and while Randy Skinners work is excellent and on target, only a few of the numbers have all 6 dancing at the same time, not 16!

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#26Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/27/15 at 2:44am

I don't know this show at all, but I'd assumed it was an old fashioned musical in the vein of anything goes. A cast of 6? That puts me off completely, not what I was thinking it would be at all.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/27/15 at 3:01am

"but DAMES AT SEA will likely cost about half the price to run. Much smaller theater, a cast of just 6 and much smaller orchestra. Probably around 400K a week would be my guess."

Have Broadway nuts increased exponentially? Just four years ago FOLLIES apparently cost 650k a week to run, and that was a massive production in terms of cast and orchestra. Next to normal with a cast of 6 was only 250k a week to run, approximately.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#28Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/27/15 at 7:18pm

It is telling that "Star Tar" is sung by Ruby, the chorus-girl-turned-star, not by any of the "sailors" (except as chorus). These are show-biz sailors, no matter how they are listed in the program.

You are certainly right on the details, but I still think 42nd Street is a better comparison than OTT.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#29Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/27/15 at 7:22pm

"I don't know this show at all, but I'd assumed it was an old fashioned musical in the vein of anything goes. A cast of 6? That puts me off completely, not what I was thinking it would be at all."

Don't be mislead. The small cast is part of the joke and is handled very cleverly. If you liked Anything Goes; No, No Nanette or 42nd Street, you will like Dames at Sea.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#30Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/27/15 at 8:01pm

So are there any actual rumors re casting? I love the cast recording for this show. 

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Ranger Tom
#31Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/28/15 at 4:06pm

Just some hoping that the workshop cast will reunite: Osnes, York, Davi, Bolton, Tedder and Gardner.  

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#32Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/29/15 at 4:19pm

Unlike the shows mentioned in this thread, Dames At Sea is a spoof, more like an intentionally low-budget The Boyfriend than anything else.

It has a terrific score, usually done by 2 pianos and percussion (although the cast recording has terrific orchestrations by Tunick, these would drown out the small cast), and it really ought to be done by a cast of 6, or there's no joke, and therefore nothing to the show. It wouldn't hold up without the spoof aspect.

It's also not a dance fest; an Off Broadway revival in the late 80s added tap for the three men in the title tune, but it's not in the score as is. "Wall Street" has a short solo tap. "Choo Choo Homeymoon" has a brief duet tap break that should be used in a comic way to show the progress of a honeymoon and married life; "It's You" and "Something About You" have Fred and Ginger ballroom dances (also brief). "Star Tar" is the biggest tap number in the show.

Of course, additional lengthy dance sequences could be added, but other than empty spectacle, what would they add to the content of the show? How would they make it funner? (And the show, as written, is almost all about the comedy.)

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#33Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/29/15 at 8:26pm

I think Randy Skinner has added a lot of dancing to the show. He always cooks something up good.  As far as the comedy goes, its about being creative, using physicality and having good direction to make the old jokes funny now. The cast of On the Town sure as hell didn't do that except Jackie Hoffman. I think John Rando coulda had funnier blocking especially in Carried Away and Come up to My Place and I Can Cook Too. Everything was just ha thats cute and not THIS IS SOOO GREAT AND FUNNY!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#34Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/30/15 at 2:10pm

Davi was just announced to do a production at Godspeed, so look like two of the three ladies are out, which would probably mean they're looking to recast alltogether, since Osnes, Davi, and York all have very similar looks.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Phillypinto
#35Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 6/30/15 at 3:07pm

My Paris closes August 16 so she can do both. We are still not sure if Laura is doing this show or The Bandstand. Rachel York is doing Grey Gardens til august 30 so I think she could do both as well considering previews only start at the end of September 

Phillypinto
#36Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/3/15 at 7:15pm

LESLI MARGHERITA!!!!!!!!!

CindersGolightly
#37Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/3/15 at 7:20pm

Philly, I totally appreciate how passionate you are about things like casting, and what shows are going into what theater, but just because Lesli is leaving Matilda doesn't mean she's doing this. I feel like since you've been here long newcomers believe you and get their hopes up. Megan Hilty has an announcement coming this upcoming week about a project, but that doesn't mean I'm posting "MEGAN HILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" on a thread about casting. Everything you say is speculation until it's confirmed. I know you say you have insider friends but who doesn't on this message board?

Phillypinto
#38Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/3/15 at 7:32pm

Whatever you say cinders Dames at Sea Casting))

Ranger Tom
#39Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/4/15 at 4:29pm

With Davi and York, how hard is it to do 8 a week in Chester and Sag Harbor, respectively, and rehearse in Manhattan?  

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#40Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/4/15 at 4:46pm

Sag Harbor is a minimum two hour drive with ZERO traffic... on roads that always have traffic.  I used to live out there.  It's a hellscape trying to get out there during the summer.

getatme
#41Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/4/15 at 5:44pm

FWIW, Lesli Margherita tweeted this the other day, saying that she's leaving September 6th but "won't be far away..."

https://twitter.com/QueenLesli/status/616682043011952641

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#42Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/4/15 at 8:17pm

Knowing nothing about this show, reading the facts about its style on here has actually gotten me more excited. As someone who loves a good show that can laugh at itself, I also adore this 6-actor doubling-fest concept. I wish I could've thought of that. And since the Hayes is the smallest theatre, it could have a good shot there...I may buy a ticket as soon as a cast list goes out...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

CindersGolightly
#43Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/8/15 at 6:23am

York is doing a show in LA until Novemeber, so I doubt she's still attached. I don't think it's announced yet so I can't say what she's doing, but it'll be interesting to see the actual cast!

Phillypinto
#44Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:34am

what goes on with this show?

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#45Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/15/15 at 12:01pm

Interesting to note Lesli played Ruby in Dames at Sea in college. Maybe she is linked to this production as well. All signs seem to point to it.

Phillypinto
#46Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/15/15 at 1:45pm

I think Lesli will be in it. I also think Mara Davi is still with it because she likes the Instagram page and liked a photo. Not sure about Laura or Rachel. 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#47Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/15/15 at 7:29pm

I hope some casting gets announced soon. I want to take my grandmother to this show and it'll help my cause if there are some good names involved.

I'll be honest, I jumped too quickly at this show's Twitter feed and thought they had gotten Bette Davis...wow...my brain was really on autopilot there.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

MNC77
#48Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/15/15 at 9:00pm

This show needs some casting announcements soon so it can start getting more publicity. Very little buzz on this so far (at least I've heard very little).

Phillypinto
#49Dames at Sea Casting
Posted: 7/15/15 at 10:05pm

I've been seeing lots of ads on my computer