pixeltracker

Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread- Page 5

Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#100Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:16pm

Ben Brantley liked it... 

"This production had the fizzy spontaneity of one of those unexpected New York dinner parties, where an oddball guest list and a make-do menu create magic that a glamorous catered affair could never hope to achieve.

It was as if some inspired host had said: “Ms. Greene, have you met Mr. Gyllenhaal? No? Would you two like to try singing a few songs together at the piano?” And then other guests picked up on the spare parts, and before you knew it, you were in the midst of an intoxicating singalong that you never wanted to end.

That was what this “Little Shop” felt like, tasting all the sweeter because it will never happen again in exactly this way. As long as this city can deliver the occasional night like this one, New York really is the capital of the universe for hard-core theater lovers."

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Updated On: 7/2/15 at 01:16 PM

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#101Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:17pm

Never mind.
Updated On: 7/2/15 at 01:17 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#102Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:20pm

That's basically the definition of what a rave review is. NICE. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#103Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:40pm

Agreed Jordan...out of the park rave and NY Times Critic's Choice. So happy to be seeing this tonight!

Jordan Catalano
#104Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:44pm

And also a great pull quote for City Center in general!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#105Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:54pm

what does it matter if it only has 2 performances left that are pretty much sold out? I wish this would transfer i wanna see it Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#106Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:05pm

Wow.  Sounds like an amazing night.  Love reading all these reviews.  Keep em coming!

broadwayboy223
#107Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:05pm

I wished I lived in NYC to see this!!

neonlightsxo
#108Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:07pm

Everyone I know who saw the show last night bought their tickets in January. So it's hard for me to feel bad for people like you, Philly.

Phillypinto
#109Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:52pm

omg!! :'(

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#110Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:55pm

What about all your in-the-know show biz friends?

Also: musicaltheatreman2, if you're still reading this thread, I cannot respond to your PM as your account cannot receive them!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/2/15 at 02:55 PM

Phillypinto
#111Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 3:04pm

You're right I should call one of them!! Except they're not gonna get me a ticket cause it's sold out!!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#112Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 3:08pm

Well, it's not, really. Maybe you should have one of them walk over to the box office and lay down some money for you.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#113Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 3:15pm

Intermission now.

Whereas last nights audience was amazing and respectful of what was on the stage, today's audience is made up of mostly twenty-something's determined to make these two hours all about themselves, screaming and shouting and working overtime to be as loud as possible to show everyone around them how much fun they're having. And comparing the performances today to last night, it's affecting the acting on the stage.

neonlightsxo
#114Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 3:23pm

Sorry to hear that, Jordan. I guess that's because the matinee is the performance that was added once Gyllenhaal was announced? Hope you're still enjoying it.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#115Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 3:23pm

F*CK. 

rjm516
#116Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 3:26pm

Oh man I would love if this transferred with Ellen. Too old my ass. It would be so nice to see a relationship in any kind of art where for once it wasn't a super old man and a crazy young girl accepted without comment. 

Phillypinto
#117Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 3:36pm

Yeah Ellen still looks damn good for 64. It would be awesome if this transferred! maybe with roundabout next season? 

I Shoulda got the 25 dollar tickets when they went on sale Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread(

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#118Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 4:14pm

I thought Greene read older than Moranis in the movie, and I think it makes sense for Audrey to have been around the block a few times. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Jordan Catalano
#119Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 4:16pm

Exactly. That's one of the many reasons the revival was so God-awful. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#120Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 4:19pm

The main reason the revival was bad- above all else, and a really, really common issue with productions of Little Shop- is that it felt the need to camp it up and acknowledge the silliness of the material.

You can't do that with this show. You really, really can't.

Jordan Catalano
#121Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 4:26pm

But seriously - after those reviews you KNOW producers are trying to find a way to transfer this. 

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#122Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 4:31pm

"But seriously - after those reviews you KNOW producers are trying to find a way to transfer this. "

I really, really hope so!

How was the matinee today, Jordan? Still as good as last night (minus the rude crowd)?

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#123Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 4:37pm

I'd love nothing more than to see Ellen Greene made the toast of Broadway, but much of what was magical about the production I saw last night was fleeting--the serendipity of the casting, the mix of on- and off-book performances that comes with only a week's rehearsal, the euphoria felt by a group of acolytes at seeing their deity come to life.  

None that would survive the process of a transfer.  We'd be left with--at best--the ingredients, but not the dish itself.

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

broadwayboy223
#124Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 4:48pm

^Perhaps but to still Ellen Greene bring her Audrey to Broadway would be a fantastic thing. She would get a Tony nomination for sure.